My first Ancient

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AnemicOak, Apr 12, 2006.

1. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

I bought my first ancient today :)

It's an Otacilia Severa - Antoninanus with a Concordia reverse.

[​IMG]

What do ya think?

I also subscribed to The Celator today. Now what books, besides the Van Meter book I already have should I get? Are the Sear books still considered tops?

`

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Very nice coin. Good choice :)

Take Care
    Ben

4. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Old Roman stuff is kind of fun.
    I have about 26 old Roman coins, mostly common silver denarii and antoniniani.

5. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Brian,David R. Sear's 'Roman Coins & Their Values' are the best books on Roman coins.

Aidan.

6. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

Thanks Aidan. I knew his books were the best in the past, just wanted to make sure nothing better had come along before I get one.

7. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

That's a REALLY good strike there anemic....makes my Otacilia S. look like a junker..you're on the way my friend!

8. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

In fact,now that I look at it,mine IS a junker.Worst looking Roman coin in my entire collection.If I remember right,I accidently broke it when I was opening it from the dealer..LOL..Imagine how I felt.
    So anyway,I'm jealous.Great buy!!

Attached Files:

9. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

Thanks Miljo0. I saw this guy & decided she might get lonely so I picked it up. :)
    [​IMG]

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Brian -

Hopefully you are obtaining these coins from a trusted seller so that you can have some confidence in their authenticity. I know nothing about ancients and doubt I'll ever take the time ot learn, but I do know this much about them. There are probably more fakes, counterfeits and reproductions of ancient coins out there than there are genuine coins - and the genuine coins number in the millions & millions.

Just something to consider.

11. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

Hi Doug, I got them from a couple of respected VCoins dealers.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Works for me :thumb:

13. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Hello Brian

Brilliant starting IMO, both coins look great, and seem genuine to my eyes
    Congratulations

Cucumbor

14. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Nae fear with those two. They are the real McCoy ok, and beauties too.

What i'm a wee bit gobsmacked about is that I had a new arrival just this morning. A silver antoninianus of Gordian III (238-244 ad) with the same design reverse as the Phillip denarius belonging to the original poster.....ie. Roma sitting facing left holding Nike (winged Victory) and holding a sceptre. ROMAE AETERNAE (`Rome is eternal'). The coin I got is very dark toned with highlights of petroleum blue and honey gold. I'm pretty sure that this coin has never been cleaned or otherwise tampered with, which in itself is quite unusual to find on the market these days.

Attached Files:

15. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

16. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Hi Brian. same type with the exception that RIC 38 / Sear 2459 note the legend as being IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANUS AUG

This one has the legend IMP CAES GORDIANUS PIUS AUG.

Probably just a frugal Roman moneyer maximising the use of an old die for the obverse ;)

Ian

17. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Right Ian,
    Since Phiip II succeeded Gordian III,there may have been some die recycling going on but I've found that they used many of the same gods on their coins.Mine have Pax and Fortuna which were also used by both rulers.

Attached Files:

18. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

You've got quite a neat collection my friend!

That Gordian one of yours is S.2435 RIC143

It uses the third obverse legend ie IMP. GORDIANUS PIUS FEL. AUG

Here's another one of mine with the same obverse legend, but with Jupiter standing facing, head to the right. S.2437 RIC2

I like the antoninianis / double denarius of the Gordian III era. Such a variety of them to collect, and they seem to be fairly readily available at relatively low prices. I don't claim to understand why they are so cheap. I got both of mine for well under $20 each.

Attached Files:

19. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Another light beer for you Ian,on the house.I thought I had too few letters on my inscription when I saw the closeup pic.
    I'll update my label.
    Done...the only thing I changed was the U's to V's,for historical accuracy.On closer inspection,I believe it's an RIC144.143 has the abbreviation FORT and mine has FORTVNA...right? Is there a way to tell the year it was minted? Wildwinds doesn't say on this particular coin but all the ones near it on the thumbnail list are from 244AD.

Attached Files:

20. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

You're right. I was looking at Sear's Roman Coins and Their values and 2435 is `Fort.' The way my mind was last night I must have taken it to be an abbreviation ;)

I don't think there is any way of telling the mintage year from an antoninianus, excepting that the legend which ends PIUS FEL. AUG dates between 240 -44.

On other coins of his the legends without AUG in them (obverse) are likely to be when Pupienus and Balbinus were still alive, that is 238 ad. Some coins have the tribunal year on them, which enables dating to within the year.

21. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

My first coin has been dated to Spring of 247. This info is from Curtis Clay over on Forvm. I was amazed that you could get that precise on a date, not just year but time of year. Of course he's making the assumption that changes to her coins would have been made at the same time as her husband's.

Draft saved Draft deleted