My Favorite Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by dak, May 13, 2007.

1. dak

dak The Nickel Nut

What is your best, rarest, or favorite nickel found from circulation, cherry picked from a dealer, show, or ebay, or just from roll searching?

My pride and joy is my 1867 Shield Nickel with Rays! I found it about a year ago while searching rolls of nickels and needless to say my jaw dropped! Every time I see it I get the urge to break open another roll of nickels because you never know whats hiding!! Its that thrill of roll searching that keeps me coming back!

So whats your favorite nickel found in circulation, while roll searching, or simply cherrypicked?? I'd like to hear your stories, and I'd LOVE to see your pictures of your prized nickel!!

-DAK

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

Very nice find! To tell the truth, the best nickel I've found in a roll is a 1941 in XF. LOL, I don't search nearly as many rolls as you do, though.
    Very nice nickel!

4. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

i got a 1967 in ag condition :)

i dont collect nickles so ...... i do have a ton i bought of a old old collector, but they are sitting in the bag they came in, i have never gone through tthem ...

5. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

The unc buffalo nickel I posted about here a while ago is my favorite. My second is a toned war nickel I won from zaneman.

6. Topher

Topher New Member

My only Liberty Nickel in AG, possibly G. I have no idea where I got it, all I know is I've had it for a LONG time. Still waiting for that second one, but it's not easy now that I moved to Canada. :)

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

If I didn't have reason to know better I'd think yeah go on but keep it funny. But I actually got one of these in change. No rays (got the cheap version :D). But the date shows up kinda nice.

BTW...would be interested in knowing how a nickel nut would grade this, if you think you can. Just a beginner, here, but I'm hoping G-4. Really got no idea though...

Attached Files:

8. dak

dak The Nickel Nut

I would give it a Good 4 ! I can see the rim all the way around on both sides as well as read all the text... So to me it would fall into that catagory, my 1867 w/rays would fall into damaged (from the gouges) - poor - about good, I would think as it is missing a lot of detail completly. I'm more proficiant in newer nickels, (the 1867 is the only shield nickel I have ever found, and it is also the only one in my collection, but it is by far my favorite find, even though I have found other nickels of significantly higher value. I have quite a few Liberty nickels and buffalo nickels I've pulled from rolls, but I've never persued putting together the full collection. One of these days I'll have to break away from my beloved Jefferson's and roll searching and actually buy coins like a normal collector!

9. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

This is my favorite nickel so far:
    [​IMG] I'll try to get better pics of it, but she is a beauty. A few others are a 44 P nickel in Gem condition that I paid $20 for, a 68 S FS that I paid $2 for, but actually one that ties my proof nickel would be a dateless buff that my dad found for me in circ, and gave to me. Has to be probably one of my favorite coins in my collection, actuall. Okay, I'm done babbling, lol. :D (BTW, awesome find! :thumb:)

Phoenix :cool:

10. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

Well the rarest of all Jefferson nickels is the 1942-S with the mint mark in the normal location, and not over the dome of Monticello. As for me I have a lot of favorites but one of them is my Henning counterfeit 1944- no P mint mark over the dome of Monticello.

Bruce.

PS.
    You can see the rarest Jefferson nickel in the JEFFERSON NICKEL ANALYST BY BERNARD NAGENGAST

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Great, thank you. I just think it's unbelievable that two 1867s would turn up like this. Nobody would believe me when I'd tell them I got mine in change at Sears. Evidently it came in one of their rolls. And then to hear about yours, I almost choked! Yeah, this one ranks right up there on top...it's certainly my favorite nickel.

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I got this one from circulation more than a couple years ago (more like several decades ago). Do not remember the specific circumstances, but I remember being pleasantly surprised at a Buffalo that old still being that good of a shape - let alone a rarer one. While you are at it, what grade would you give it. from what I can gleen from Heritage,it is about a 25.

It is either this one or my 1913-S type 2, but it is not nearly as nice. It only certified as G-4.

Attached Files:

13. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

here's my favorite... well, the reverse of my favorite

Attached Files:

14. dak

dak The Nickel Nut

Hmmm... a damaged nickel with a buffalo with only 3 legs??? c'mon, surely you have something better!!! Lol... That is awesome!! Whats the story behind how you acquired that one??

15. mikenoodle

well, dak

Nice that you caught the scratch at first glance. I wish I was that observant.

I purchased this one about 8 years ago at a show for $400. A bit overpriced for a damaged coin, but I thought it was top quality, I didn't see the scratch. This coin amounted to an education for me. It taught me to look a lot more carefully at coins before I buy them. BTW... what do you grade this??? I am thinking somewhere near 55?

I collect 20th century type key dates, so this fits perfectly into my wheelhouse. My perpetual work in progress is a 20th century type set comprised entirely of key dates in MS. (Sound similar to my newest pursuit of a FS Jeff nickel set?) The set is not complete (go figure) but has several very nice coins in it. This particular coin is kept in my type set and it is now definately worth what i paid for it (and then some, I hope).

The type set also has a 1997- P SMS Botanic Garden Nickel in it too, as well as other treasures. If anyone wants to know anything about 20th century keys dates... I may be the man you seek.

16. dak

dak The Nickel Nut

Well I wasn't that observant, (I wish I could claim to be!!) I didn't notice the scratch, all I noticed was the 3 legs, I said damaged, because several collectors I get together with don't acknowledge a lot of the errors/varieties and consider them nothing more than damaged coins... I strongly disagree with them, but they are set in there ways! So I was just being sarcastic with them in mind!!

Regardless of the scratch, definately one of the best varieties ever in my opinion. I would pay $400 all day long for a nickel like that! Like I said AWESOME, and thanks for sharing it with us!!!

17. mikenoodle

gotta grade for me?

18. kiwi01

kiwi01 Senior Member

My favorate finds have both been from the same dump bin. The first one was a 1913 Buffalo nickel in VG8 and the other was a 1921s Buff in G4. Both cost me 25 cents each!!

19. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

AG-3 on that 1867 Shield Nickel. That is a remarkable find considering we're now well into the 21st century.

20. mikenoodle

I meant on MY buffalo... lol

21. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

AU-50 on the reverse of that Buffalo Nickel. It has a well defined full horn!

Draft saved Draft deleted