My Father's collection

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by rosethe, Nov 14, 2009.

1. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

I'm testing the linking of images.

Ind Gold Type Set

[​IMG]

Peru 100 Soles

[​IMG]

1909SVDB Cent

[​IMG]

1955 Double Die set- one of each

[​IMG]

Indian Type Set

[​IMG]

$20 Gold Ind (21)

[​IMG]

Lib Type Set

[​IMG]

Mex Type Set

[​IMG]

$20 Lib?

[​IMG]

Please can anyone guessimate a value to any of this?

There is so much more to post, I think it will take forever.

Thank you.

GeorgeM and RickieB like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chip

chip Novice collector

There are a few people on the site who are very well versed in gold coins, me I am a novice but I sure enjoyed the pictures of them.

4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Wow! VERY nice coins! and pretty good photography as well!

I am curious about the 3 1955 double dies, it says one of each... I see 3 55/55, what do you mean one of each?

5. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Wow! Definitely the nicest inherited collection I've seen posted since I've been here. Assuming nothing has been cleaned, and being conservative, most every coin you've shown is worth 4 digits. Even the Lincoln cents.

I don't think there are 3 different types to the 1955 doubled die. I think he just has a set of 3 of them! They are scarce and highly coveted by Lincoln collectors. Most people feel lucky to be able to own one. In that condition, each one of them is worth minimum $1000+. That would be the low end. They could be worth several hundred more a piece.

The 1909-S VDB is also another highly sought after Lincoln cent by collectors. With a mintage of only 484,000 it is the key to the series and usually the last one everybody buys for their set. If they can afford one at all. In that condition, worth minimum $1,000.

The foreign coins I'm not too up on. I know the Mexican 2 peso is now worth somewhere around 80-100. The 2-1/2 peso is worth around 120-150. The 50 was their 1 oz gold coin. So with gold at all time highs right now over $1,100 an ounce, there's your value on that at minimum.

For the Indian and Liberty type sets, we'd need to know mint marks, which can be found on the back of the coins towards the bottom on the Libertys. And bottom left on the Indians. A conservative guess without knowing anything else about them, I'd put 'each set' at a value somewhere around $2,500 pretty easily. Some mintmarks could make them worth more.

The 1895 $20 Liberty is worth around 13 to $1,400.

The 1881 Liberty in the last pic looks more like a $10 Liberty gold 'Eagle' The $20 is considered a double eagle. You can see what it is on the back. If it is a ten dollar Eagle, they were made at 4 different mints that year. Look for a letter under the claws of the eagle on back. It will be worth somewhere between 700 to 1200 depending on mintmark. If there is no letter there, it means it was made in Philadelphia.

If you go to sell to a dealer, they are going to low ball you. So just be ready for it. Most people will go that route because it's the quick and easy cash. Just know that they need to make a profit and they'll know that you don't know much about their value, condition, etc... To realize the maximum value, the best thing you could do is submit everything to a grading company such as NGC or PCGS. They will encapsulate each one, and grade them. Which also serves to show prospective buyers that they are indeed authentic. People aren't nearly as afraid to bid up 'slabbed' gold as compared to 'loose' gold coins such as this. A lot of fakes floating around that are very good. Not saying any or all of them ARE fakes but the possibility exists that one could have snuck in there. Especially loose indians. Grading them wouldn't be cheap but it would probably be worth it in the long run if you want to realize their maximum value.
    For example, if that 1881 $10 has a mintmark from a branch mint and a low mintage, it can be worth double what a Philadelphia minted one is worth from the same year. Especially in a higher grade. But most dealers will tell you it's been cleaned, it worns out, polished and give you a low ball offer as if it were a Philly. When they're in a top tier grading co. slab, there's no B.S.

Sorry this got so long but I hope it is helpful for you. Let us know if you have any more to check out.

Pixl Pirate likes this.
  6. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Here's an example of the slabs I'm talking about. Here's a 1911 $10 Indian like yours in an NGC slab:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1911-10-00-GOLD-INDIAN-EAGLE-NGC-MS-63_W0QQitemZ350277151501QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_Bullion?hash=item518e252b0d

The MS 63 on the label is that one's grade, which for the most part determines it's value. That is a pretty high grade for that series of coins. Gold is very hard to grade in hand, let alone on a computer screen so we probably can't help you much there.

Here's what a PCGS slab looks like:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1911-S-INDIAN-HEAD-5-PCGS-MS62_W0QQitemZ290362356523QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item439af1f32b

Either company is very reputable and well recognized within the hobby.

Here's a link to NGC's fee structure page if you want to submit them:

http://www.ngccoin.com/services/services.asp

You'd be looking at about $21 to $28 per coin (plus shipping and insurance to get them there and back) to grade each one. But it could be the difference between selling a single coin for several hundred dollars more or not!

If you become an ANA member, you can submit them directly. Otherwise, you'll have to send them in through an NGC or PCGS authorized dealer. IF you wanted to go that route.

7. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

Vess- I appreciate every word and all the detail you have given.

Re: 1955 Double dies-- I say one of each---mint marks?
    One D, one S, and one P? These letters are engraved on the reverse of the slab, and you can see the reflection in the photo. The 2002 appraisal put the 3 coins at $1000.

Re: 1909SVDB ---- I think there are two of those. (the cents are hard to photograph) The 2002 appraisal put the 2 coins at $1000

Re: Mex Type Set ----appraised at $550 in 2002

Re: Ind/Lib Type Sets -----appraised at $600/700 in 2002
    I will look up the mint marks.

Re: 1895 $20 -----there are 21 coins in that tube, not sure if they are all the same date, I didn't want to touch them. 21 coins appraised at $6300 in 2002.

Re: 1881 Eagle---that is the top coin on a stack of 5 coins. Not sure what's underneath, again, didn't want to handle them.
    Is this coin called the $20 Lib? The appraisal says there are 7 of them, but there are only 5 in the tube. There could be more, in single wrappers, I guess. But I am not sure that these are the coins the appraisal are calling $20 Libs. I will look up the mint marks and try to find any similar coins.

There is something on that appraisal that I am having confusion about.
    It says:

19 G.B. Gold Sov

I take that to mean there are group of 19 British sovereigns. But I do not see a group of anything that size. (except the $20 Inds)
    What does a GB Sov look like?
    (I have a sinking feeling that my soon to be ex-husband may have gotten into the safe box and helped himself :crying:----he is in 6 figure debt, which I had no knowledge of-while I paid off our house :headbang:)

And two questions.
    Does the value of coinage move in proportion to the price of gold? Even if the coins are not gold, i.e. cents?
    There are some gold and silver bars as well, but I was wondering what guides the price of coins and paper notes.

The Grading companies you mention--- Are you saying that I have to send the coins to them?:confused:
    That really scares me. Is there a way I can go to one in person? I wouldn't even consider flying or traveling with this collection alone.
    I understand the value of the grading, but would like to know more about how it is done.

I will research the mint marks as suggested, and I will post a new batch of pix soon. There are so many more coins and paper. :bigeyes:

Thank you all.

GeorgeM likes this.
  8. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

Wow! That is very impressive!

9. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Very impressive collection!

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Attached Files:

11. boxerchip

boxerchip Runnin' Buffalo

Holy coW! thats a collection!!!
    First, if you get any proof the hubby stole those sue the heck out of him for it... any judge would gladly give them back to you being that they were your fathers.

Second, The value of coins can relate to gold and silver but does not always. Usually I think it just gets people interested in coins because they see gold going up so much.

Lastly, yes you must send your coins in. For your collection you would need to use several boxes as registered mail can only insure 25,000$ per box :p god I wish I was in that pickle :p

You can go to them in person at coin shows, but they still take your coins from what I understand... its not something done in front of you while you wait. Frankly I would only grade the coins if you need to sell them or you want to handle them a lot and let kids play with them and not have to worry about it.
    Grading adds value for people who buy SIGHT unseen... this does not mean that you cant find a guy at a local coin show whos looking for just your coins and can check them out in person for himself... verify the grade he wants and then pay full value for such nice coins.
    Also, if you want to touch the coins and not worry about it, just snag some gloves made of cotton the company below sells them make sure the coins go on a clean surface and you're good to go. Nice for easy sight to also grab a magnification lamp with a flexible neck. :)
    http://www.brent-krueger.com/

Best of luck with your collection and that bas... I mean husband :whistle:

12. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Can't wait to see the new stuff!!

13. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Fascinating collection rosethe! Take your time, take your time...:kewl:

14. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

The gold market has shot up considerably since 2002. Your Mexican 50 pesos alone is worth more than $1300 at today's prices, since it contains more than 1.2 ounces of gold and the gold market is at approximately $1130 per ounce! The twenty pesos is worth a minimum of $500, the 10 pesos minimum $250, the 5 pesos minimum $125, the 2 1/2 pesos minimum $62 and the 2 pesos is worth a minimum of $50. Super collection of coins you got there!

15. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Why did I have to be born good looking instead of rich??? ;) I love your coins!

16. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

I love your avatar Mike. Tell that kitteh not to do it. I gives him all the coins!

Here are a few more pieces. I don't even know what some of these are.
    If anyone can please help identify these, I'd appreciate it.
    (The third photo of the 1931 cent is terrible)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

The Russian coin is a Chervonetz and contains .2489 ounces of gold.

18. boxerchip

boxerchip Runnin' Buffalo

IS THAT A 75$ PRICE TAG ON THAT SAINT GAUDENS!? WHY DO I HAVE TO BE SO FREAKING YOUNG!!! WHAT i WOULD GIVE TO HAVE BEEN ABLE TO BUY THEM FOR THAT!

This is exactly the kind of collection I want to have(okay, maybe just the gold, I dont really care about pennies... :p) but jesus those are great looking coins. I wouldn't even have them graded. just keep them raw and learn a ton about them and pass them down generation to generation educating each new coin holder about what he/ she is being given. Maybe even add to it, I think some buffalo gold would look great next to those indian head gold coins :p

19. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

that 1924 may have obtained in the 50's.:kewl:

20. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That 1914-D looks to be worth at least $750 and could easily be higher.

That 1922- is most definitely better than VF. If it is real (it would take good pictures of both sides or in hand to determine that) it could be worth $2500 - $5000. This coin has been in the past and still is often faked.

That 31-S would be worth about $200. That is about all I can tell from that picture.

May I strongly recommend that you find a serious collector or an honest dealer. You have some real serious money here. Perhaps if you could tell us what area you are in, someone here could recommend a dealer to you.

21. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

Thanks!

Would that be the first or second USSR coin pictured?

Draft saved Draft deleted