My Best Purchases

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Coinlover, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

hi everyone!:D just wanted to share the all time best purchases i have made over the time i have started collecting. first one is a 1924S peace dollar i got at an antique shop for only $14. its a pretty nice coin but has some rust on the back and it is just a little worn but i think i got a good deal on it. next is a 1893 barber quarter i got at a county fair. it has a cool story behind it. i was down at a county fair around where my sister lives. there was all kinds of booths set up and i was just browsing around and saw a hunter that made coin sets that had pictures of turkeys in a picture frame with an indian cent, buffalo nickel, and a sac dollar and some other coins in it. the buffalo nickels were dateless, but the indians looked pretty good. i was looking at the indian cents when the guy that was selling them came up and said "you interested in coins?" i said yes:D and he took me to the tent and pulled out a briefcase full of coins. he said pick out whatever you want and i'll give you a fair price for it. i saw a blank quarter folder and looked inside and saw this screaming at me to buy it!:loud: there was a 1915 barber quarter in there also. so i ended up buying this, the 1915 quarter and the book for $5. i also bough some early date indian head cents and some cheap barber dimes he had in old looking 2X2s'. i wish i could get all my coins that cheap.:cool: what do you think the grades on these coins are?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

The Barber quarter is dated 1893, not 1915. He didn't pull a switcheroo on you did he?

4. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

who cares what they grade its beautiful and it costs $ 5 thats the type of collector i want to become eventually afte rmy type set is all done. thanks for sharing

5. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

wow, that 1893 is at least a VF

6. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I agree. That's a great looking Barber quarter. $5 was a steal (if that's the one you got for $5 - kinka confusing on the dates there). A '93 Barber quarter in VF Grey Sheets at $30/$33. I'd like to buy a roll of them at that price.

7. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Wow, nice buys man! That Barber is pretty cool looking man. :thumb:

Phoenix :cool:

8. Coinlover

thanks!:kewl: to clear up the confusion i got a 1893 barber quarter that is in the picture a 1915 barber quarter and a blue whitman quarter folder for $5. so generally i got this coin for $2.50.

9. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

That's a great purchase.

10. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Great finds! Plus, it's always nice when you have a story behind your coins. I buy a coin every time I go on vacation somewhere. It reminds me of good times away from work :)
    Guy~

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Those are two very nice coins.

12. Leadfoot

p.s. XF on both.

13. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

Nice coins coinlover. :thumb: I agree with Leadfoot's assessment.

14. Shortgapbob

Shortgapbob Emerging Numismatist

Nice coins. I would call the Peace Dollar VF-35 and the quarter VF-30+.

15. Leadfoot

p.s. the more I look at these, the more I think VF rather than XF. Still very nice coins, regardless of grade.

16. Coinlover

thanks for the comments everyone! :high5:how much do you think that peace dollar would sell for? i'm not looking to sell it or anything but i'd just like to get an opinion on that. i took the barber quarter to my coin dealer a few months ago and he said he would give me $25, but i didn't sell. i'm keeping it for a long time. :D

17. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Peace dollars are a little tough to grade for me as I'm truly an amateur grader. Yours looks VF on the obverse and F on the reverse to me. I think you probably could get about what you paid for it because of the damage. The quarter looks like a low XF on the obverse and VF on the reverse. It's a nice coin and a great purchase. I love the toning.

Draft saved Draft deleted