[CLOSED] Most Under Graded Coin

Discussion in 'Contests' started by 180IQ, Jan 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

Gilbert your coin is delicious. Compare it to the images of graded coins on the pcgs website. The best grade they have shown for 1847 is MS 62, but you can compare it to different dates of the same coin. If submitted to them I would say your coin could get MS 64 providing it hasn't been cleaned, and they don't go nuts and call the bag mark on the tip of the tiara post mint damage. The strike is epic. Her hair is extremely well defined. I don't like pics, if you can see wear that I can't looking at it in person, than it's AU58++++star star

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

I can see the reflection of you taking the pic on the surface of the coin! Mine doesn't shine like that, that's why I say solid AU55. Although hampered lustre doesn't mean a whole lot.

4. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Thanks. I appreciate the thought but I think it will stay where it is.

5. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

Grading has slid a LOT. You make more money when you get to grade a coin 3 times.

6. Gilbert

LOL

180IQ likes this.
  7. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

I don't compare my coins to other peoples coins generally, I compare to the examples shown by the grading companies, that way I can get a good idea of what my coin will come back as for a final grade. As I said grading has slid a LOT and yesterdays MS62 has become todays MS66 in a lot of categories.

8. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

Hey if you weren't going to resubmit the half eagle, why did you post it? This is a contest.

9. Gilbert

For one thing it isn't a half eagle.

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If that goes anywhere near your estimate it'll be a numismatic tragedy.

atcarroll likes this.
  11. Gilbert

And maybe I will resubmit it, just not now.

12. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

I'm sorry, I didn't look close enough. Mine was a $10 so I assumed. I believe it's not a tragedy as long as it's staying slabbed, and near some dessicant.

13. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

look at all the tragedies on the PCGS website if you don't believe me. I'm going by their grading examples.

14. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

my coin is not as nice as the AU 58, and waaaay nicer than all their AU 53

15. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

My coin has less wear than either of these and is much nicer than the XF45. Look at the tip of the tiara. Tragedy? That my coin gets an adjustment up like the rest of the class? I think not.

Attached Files:

16. Gilbert

I see what you mean. Grade creep for sure.

17. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

It's sad. But it's great for me and it makes me feel like my grandfather got great deals when purchasing coins, as a lot of my collection is inherited. It means I can sell a choice few coins and keep the rest until I die, to remember him by. It gives me more money to collect more coins, and a great hobby to keep his spirit alive. Gives me hope that I can find the diamonds in the rough too, even though they are getting rarer. I think no matter what the coins are worth the same in the end. If my coin comes back AU55 and sells for a bunch of money, It really was worth the money to the person who bought it, I should just be able to sell it for the money it's worth WITHOUT re submitting it.

18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Yeah... instead of having a perfectly fine example for the grade, which are becoming more and more scarce as time goes on, why not push it up like countless other coins making it at best average. Brilliant!

180IQ likes this.
  19. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

It makes me want to re invent the grading system and computerize it, so it never changes again. Open a grading company with scanner graders, and just me to judge eye appeal.

20. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

No one needs the grading companies anymore, really, but how many times have we all walked into a brick and mortar, to have someone tell us this has been cleaned, when no it hasn't. Huge waste of time. How many bay listings say BU when really it's BS?

21. Gilbert

Both yours and mine are ten dollar Eagles. You did know that, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.