Morgan Dollar 1895-O

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by volker00, Aug 26, 2009.

1. volker00

volker00 Coin Collecting Noob

Hello, I am very new to coin collecting, and don't have a full grasp of the grading standards. I bought the red book the other day and decided to go through my parents old coins. This is probably the most valuable coin in the bunch. I was hoping someone could help me out and determine its condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks! I'm sure I will need some more help with other coins soon! :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I am no expert, but I would grade it at VF35. Around $600. But I'm sure others with vastly more experience than me will chime in.

4. Night*Hawk

Night*Hawk Junior Member

It looks more like F12 - F15 to me..

F-12 is my call. I like to see a little more feather & hair detail for VF.

Try this photograde-like Morgan link, it may help you ballpark it:
    Remember, your good digital photos help but in hand is better.

http://coinauctionshelp.com/How_To_Grade_Morgan_Dollars.html

-Ron

5. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I think you're probably closer than I am.:thumb:

6. Night*Hawk

Night*Hawk Junior Member

Even in F12-15 condition it could be worth around $400.

Whatever you do, don't try to clean your coins in any way!

For now, you may want to put in some type of coin holder or Airtite.

Later on I would recommmend sending that one into PCGS or NGC for slabbing.

Thanks for showing it! Looking forward to seeing some of your others.

-Ron

7. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

It looks to me that the coin has been cleaned at some point already. At least from those pictures.

8. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

It looks like a lightly cleaned Fine example, and as such, should be worth approximately $300.

9. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I agree with Mark.

10. volker00

Thank you all for your help!

11. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

This is a different date but an F15 Graded by PCGS. Your example appears to have a bit more detail so I would put it in the VF20 range. As Mark said it appears to be cleaned which will reduce the value.

[​IMG]

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I would call it a F12 cleaned.

13. jessash1976

jessash1976 Coin knowledgeable

I think he could get about 500 hundie for it. It does looked cleaned though. The fact it is a low-mintage has to go in it's favor.

14. jay74

jay74 Junior Member

How can you tell if it's been cleaned? I have 3 Morgan heads given to me by my grandparent a waaaaaaaaaaay long time ago. What do you look for? BTW the coin looks in decent shape.

15. CashDude

CashDude Member

The PCGS graded example above is worn and dull natural looking while the coin in the original post is worn but really shiny.

I would say it was mildly cleaned.

16. jessash1976

jessash1976 Coin knowledgeable

Thank you. Yes, if it does not look natural, it probably is not.

17. CamaroDMD

You coin appears both shinny and has hairlines on the surface. Look at the coin, you should see very tiny "scratches" or hairlines all over the coin. That is evidence of cleaning in the past. It gives the coin a shinier appearance when a coin in this state should be very dull due to wear.

Here is a Morgan from my collection that has been cleaned much more harshly than yours. You can see it is covered with fine hairlines. Yours are much more subtle but they are there.

[​IMG]

18. covert coins

covert coins Coin Hoarder

I agree with Camaro DMD. I think he is correct with F 12 cleaned but cleaned a while back I believe. Nice coin overall !!!!!

19. chip

chip Novice collector

nice coin, one with a low mintage, I would say vg-8 looking at the reverse the leaves in the wreath seem to have merged a fine coin usually has more definition between leaves

20. volker00

You're right, if it was cleaned, it wasn't anytime recently. I just got the coin from my great aunt's stuff, and she would not have cleaned it. So I think someone must have cleaned it before she got it -- many years ago.

21. CamaroDMD

Years ago it was a common practice to clean coins and this coin has been highly collected for decades...so it is very likely that someone cleaned it long before she got it.

Draft saved Draft deleted