More eisonhower pics

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Spider, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Spider

Spider ~

dont forget ur opinion, i need them all please

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spider

Spider ~

more pics alright

4. Spider

Spider ~

even more pics

5. Spider

Spider ~

no more opinions?

6. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

The head--the eye--the nose--the mouth--the letters E, I, B, look funney--like a fake---
    Speedy

7. Spider

Spider ~

in comparison i believe its a fake

8. Spider

Spider ~

if it it turns out to be fake... do i go to the bank and get my dollar back? or what?

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Since you got it from a bank - take it back to the same one. Or keep it, if nothing else it is an interesting curiosity.

10. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

I collect fakes. If it turns out to be a fake, that would be cool, too. If you take an Ike dollar and cook it in the oven at 425 degrees for about 45 minutes, it will turn yellow. I still think it is a real coin.

When you weighed it, did you take it out of the plastic holder?

11. Speedy

I'd keep it--I've sold fakes for more than face...if you take it back they will send it to the Gov and they will get rid of it...

Speedy

12. Steve E

Steve E New Member

No matter how it turns out, I'd keep the coin. I have several fakes, altered, etc. in my collection too. Some I knew about when I purchased them, others I found out about when they came back in body bags. Either way they are part of the hobbies history and future. Just look at the original rackateer nickels, that's a "fake" that everyone would like to own.

13. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

I would certainly keep it. Even if you believe it to be a fake, as cdb1950 posted, often the fakes are worth more than the original. That is often the case with counterfeits of a common piece.

14. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Yes sir, sure looks like gold to me! Quite possibly one of the rarest coins ever made!

15. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Please educate me young man.

How do you visually distinguish a gold object from an identical base metal one that has been gold plated? :confused:

16. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

See the thing is I don't believe it to be plated much at all. No more distinguishing needs to really be made since the proof is with the mysterious added weight!

17. Speedy

There is nothing weird about the added weight...since it was plated it will weigh more...if you were plated in gold (I'm not saying it is plated in gold) you would weigh more than with/out the plating--

Speedy

18. satootoko

satootoko Retired

As GDJMSP and others have pointed out, plating that is thin enough not to affect the appearance of the legends and date would add only a fraction of a gram, not 7 grams (unless, of course, the laws of physics have been repealed).

19. JoeMoney

JoeMoney New Member

I am sure I am wrong but it just looks severly toned in the pictures to me.

20. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Hey Spider...if you are going to determine the mass of the coin make sure you look up the correct composition of the dated Ike dollar. Turns out that the mass is different on the Copper -nickle and the silver clad...better have a very good scale and block any wind from a source as a ceiling fan, heater, window, whatever can produce air movement to get a accurate measure...turns out that the silver clad version is as follows;
    Source: RedBook silver content of silver clad version is ~ .3161 oz if you look at it in the units that the coins are determined in (its mass) that is most always measured in g (grams) 31.10 g is = 1oz...doing the math, the .3161 oz of silver are equal to ~ [31.10g / 98.5] = 0.3157 or 0.316 oz of silver..therefore 1/98.5 oz of silver is used in the coin...cheap way to make a coin huh?
    Ike Dollar total Mass ~ 24.59 g ...... 31.10 grams per 1 oz ... so 24.59 g is = to 0.79 oz :cool:

Gee is that little bit silver worth so much? @ 7.00 oz should be about 1/99th of the coins face value. Now I m getting a headache..would someone please check my numbers????

21. Speedy

satootoko
    I'm thinking maybe its something that is the same color as gold but is heavier...is that a maybe...a SAC looks like gold a little bit but is not...

Speedy

Draft saved Draft deleted