More Acetone on coins stories

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Just Carl, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On 04-07-20009 I put the above coins in a jar of Acetone. First photo above. At night they were placed in the Sun when there was one out. If no Sun, still outside.
    At night back in the garage so they wouldn't aquire legs and walk.
    The next day, back outside.
    On 04-11-2009 I removed all the coins, second photo.
    I attempted to place all coins in relatively the same locations as for the first photo for comparison purposes.
    So now it's up to all of you to see just what Actone does to coins for long emersions. And comments???????

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dollar1948

Dollar1948 New Member

I dont see any difference

4. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

It has never worked for me.

5. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

It is a trick question? :D

I don't see the improvement from the miracle fluid either.

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Not a trick question. Acetone does little or nothing to coins except to remove organics. If those coins had had PVC of tape residue on them, it would be gone.

7. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Exactly. If you had been reading all the posts, web sites, etc where there are stories of almost anything in the world could happen to coins from Actone, you would think it will make coins vanish or come out looking like new. If you look really close at the Jefferson Nickel in the center it does appear to have lost some of whatever that green stuff is but not all.
    I've done experiments like this many times and so far about the same results.
    However, where I live if I left those out all night the vanishing abilities would surface.

8. pcrdnadave

pcrdnadave Senior Member

Here's a before and after actone....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ChrisKampmann

ChrisKampmann Member

No way! My wife's dad gave her a ton of those as presents. I can actually take that paint right off. I think I have a new project to do this weekend.

10. pcrdnadave

pcrdnadave Senior Member

Maybe just try one first. Mine was a sort of adhesive sticker and not paint, per se. But I do think that most of the ASE colorized coins are now the film-like sticker.

I soaked it for about an hour and then very gently used a Q-tip to help in the recessed areas.

The end product is IMO way better than a colorized coin.

Dave

11. FHDave

FHDave Senior Member

Now THAT is probably the best use of acetone I have seen!! :thumb:

12. houston3204

houston3204 Numismatic Consultant

I agree with FHDave.....

I would have to agree with FHDave....on this one......

13. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

yes i agree but its the second best. the best was when gd dived into the acetone nothing beats that

14. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

I will have to say acetone has its advantages, but never let it get on your skin for longer than a few seconds. I learnt the hard way.:mad: After about 3 weeks my skin on my right hand is still cracked, rough and dried out. But it was worth it because I had a Morgan dollar with PVC on it and it cleaned right off.

15. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

I have to remeber that with the colorized coins. Thanks!

16. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

remember this any morgan dollar is not worth more than your skin

17. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

I have to say this is one of the best threads that I have read in a long time. I have a bunch of those colored ASEs that I picked up here and there and was wondering how acetone would remove the coloring. Looks like it does it very nicely. I find that you can usually pick up the colored ASEs usually at a bargin compared to the non-colored ones. Whenever I see deals like that I grab them.

18. pcrdnadave

pcrdnadave Senior Member

Most definately.

It is worth mentioning: Acetone is extremely volatile and flammable. It should only be used in well ventilated areas and AWAY from an ignition source. Prolonged exposure will cause liver damage so don't breath the fumes. Acentone will denature plastic so don't use plastic tongs to hold the coin. (Metal tongs aren't good for the coin) I'm not sure about using latex gloves, I'll check here in the lab and see if acetone will melt them and post back later.

Dave

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Been down this road before. Most plastics are quite acceptable with acetone. They make (and use obviously) plastic squirt bottle for acetone. And again you can no more categorize the characteristics of "plastics" than you can for metals. Just think of platinum and sodium. They are about as similar as soft PVS and teflon.

20. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

It was worth it to me because it turned out to be the second known of the 1921-D VAM-1DM:hail:

21. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

So you left your hand in Acetone for 3 weeks?:goofer:
    Bet you didn't have to clean under your nails for a while though. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted