Montana Quarter (Error?)

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jimm1514, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Jimm1514

Jimm1514 New Member

I went to a coin show last month, Picked this up as a free gift with the admission price. I took a look at it recently and noticed something interesting. What do you think?

I'm attaching three jpegs, I hope their good enough for you to take a good look.

The first is of the quarter, I noticed what looks like a post mint circular scratch, I've noticed this on lots of coins, I really don't know how this happens, unless it's done when they are being rolled.

The second Photo is a comparison of the left horn. left a normal Montana quarter, the right something I'm calling a Hairy Horn.

The third Photo I tried to get as close as permitted.

Has anyone seen anything similar? this a die crack? worth keeping

your opinions are appreciated, Jim

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jimm1514

Jimm1514 New Member

Full Pic Montana Quarter

First Pic Didn't Load. I'm going to try again

Attached Files:

4. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

I think it is counting machine damage.

5. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I believe it looks like post mint damage. Just from the appearance of the gouges.

6. Jimm1514

Jimm1514 New Member

Thanks

The Coin definetly has gouges, the closest gouge is to the left side of the horn, the hairs are raised, can this also happen while counting?

7. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

I am on the edge on this one. It is neat though, except I don't know if it is an error. You got me, I guess it could be either or, lol. Man, what I help I am. :D

Phoenix :cool:

8. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

could it be Die-clash? its tough to make out in the images, but the left side having the circular form to the imposed image makes me ponder ....

9. xeno108

xeno108 New Member

counting damage

10. DJCoinz

DJCoinz Majored in Morganology

Interesting either way.

11. dak

dak The Nickel Nut

On the right horn I think it is clearly a series of small die cracks, on the left side of the coin very clearly post mint damage from a coin roller. On the horn it is very easy, at least for me to see and distinguish that the "hairs" are raised and not merely scratches. I personally keep coins like this, I am fascinated by errors, big or small. Thanks for sharing your find! edited. DAK

Draft saved Draft deleted