Moderator's VS Member's

Discussion in 'Contests' started by dak, May 14, 2007.

1. dak

dak The Nickel Nut

Ok, this isn't a contest, but it could be... Just looking to spark some discussion and see what some of you think...

After a brief communication with one of our moderators I found out that as general rule they don't participate in the contests, I assume to preserve the integrity of the contest and eliminate accusations of cheating should they win...

I'm just thinking out loud here.... Is there a way to get them involved (assuming they are interested :) ) I'm thinking Moderator's vs Members in some sort of challenge... I don't know... Like I said, I'm just looking to spark some discussion and see if there is any Interest, Ideas, Input, & Suggestions!

Ideas that come to my mind are patterned after reality TV shows and Contests...
    --------------------

Are you smarter than a 5th grader?

would be translated as

Are you smarter than a moderator?

--------------------

1 vs 100

Would be translated as

Moderator vs Member's

--------------------

Could also be something else totally original, I'm just looking to have fun and so I'm seeing what you all think!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Speaking ONLY for myself, I can't thank of anything that would change my hands-off policy.

Have fun without me guys (and gals)!

imrich likes this.
  4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

One complication - who moderates / referees? Maybe it is not a road block, but definitely a problem.

5. Topher

Topher New Member

I agree that it would be nice to thank the moderators in some way for their tireless efforts and selflessness. I'm willing to bet that most moderators will feel the same way as Roy. How about a contest with no actual prizes other than pride? How about a "Stump the Mods" challenge?

6. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

smarter then the mods .. NOT ME

Stump the mods? I doubt i could

:D

they all too dang smart!!!

7. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Same here.There are some things I may know more about than the moderators,but I don't know everything though,even in the numismatic line of things.

Aidan.

8. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

Everyone has their own line ....the mods tend to have good all round knowledge though....

9. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Lol, I had the same idea when Roy was telling me he couldn't participate in contests, so I was wondering that, if there could be a contest for the mods. I think it would be fun. :thumb:

10. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Maybe I'm missing something---I don't think there is a rule that says a Mod can not participate in contests---it is just something that none of us do too much. I've entered a few and I've seen some of the other Mod's enter contest before---I have much more fun holding a contest than winning or entering one.

Its just something that each of us have decided in our own way ;)

Speedy

11. johndo

johndo New Member

Why not just Moderator only contest, prizes or no prizes that would be upto the contest originator, I feel the mods might go for something like that just to try to get them to put on their thinking caps, maybe?

John

coinman1234 likes this.
  12. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

John,that sounds like a good idea.

Aidan.

13. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

John, you beat me to it... I think that rocks. If they are the only ones in contest, there will be no accusations of cheating!

14. jody526

jody526 New Member

The contest section has always been one of CoinTalk's most popular features.
    I enjoy seeing what new ideas you all come up with.

I especially enjoy the participation of young folks and new collectors.

I have no personal reason to not enter contests.
    I might enter one sometime.

If my memory is correct, we (moderators) started this section, and held all the contests, as well as provided all the prizes.
    As time went by, other members began holding contests, and eventually took over.
    That was a long time ago, and I may not have the details exact, but I believe that's a little history of this particular section.

15. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

I will offer support to Jody 526 post. I seem to also remember that one moderator put up gold coins into a contest. The moderators here have always been generous with the time that they give and at times with resources from their own private collections. It is ok to get a little upset once in awhile for we are all human and being part of human is having feelings but if one thinks about it after awhile they may realize that to be critical of a moderator is like looking a gift horse in the mouth.

imrich likes this.
  16. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

Nah, there's no rule. I have 100% confidence that every moderator here would be fair either way. Me? Well, suppose I could have an unfair advantage, you know, ban the contest holder if I don't win. ;) Or, it could be seen as a bribe if I win. But then, bribes can be sent to me directly, no need to hold a contest. lol Anywaaaay...., contests are for fun, don't want to suck the fun out by having too many rules. Carry on.... :)

17. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

I would have to say it is up to each moderator to make that decision, it is his and his alone. As for me if I were a moderator I would choose not to. But I'm also one who believe that a manger should not socialize with his employees one on one off the job, right or wrong that is just my opinion. I trust or moderators and respect there opinion and support them if they choose to be part of a contest.

Bruce.

18. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Moderators I think each feel they have a commitment to keeping coin talk fair, and if they feel that they can't participate in something, then that is their decision.

19. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

So this was peter 7 years ago.. Gotta say I like his style.

20. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

I think a doug @GDJMSP vs all competition could be quite an intense competition.

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Nahhh, it would be quite boring. Why ? Because I would simply surrender in the first post ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted