Mmore Trivia - Smallest Gold Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Clinker, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

During the 14th century a wealthy Hindu empire flourished as a trading center in southern India known as the Vijayanagar Empire. One of the world's most interesting coins was made by it. A gold coin called Bele. This 1 Bele gold piece is only 2 millimeters to 3 millimeters in diameter and weighs in at a miniscule 1/2 gram making it the world's smallest gold coin. The moneychangers of Vijayanagar were known for having such precise scales that they could accurately weigh a single strand of a camel's hair, thus they could count the tiny Bele gold pieces by weight. A depiction of a Hindu god or goddess (the coins are so small and so crudely made, it is hard to tell whether the depiction is male or female) is on one side of the coin and a sanskrit character on the other side.

Let me know if you enjoyed this bit of trivia,

Clinker

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Becky

Becky Darkslider

I enjoyed it, but wish you had included a picture.:thumb:

4. ajm229

ajm229 Lincoln Cent Collector

My coin dealer in Arizona has one of those in his shop! They're pretty neat!

5. YNcoinpro_U.S.

YNcoinpro_U.S. New Member

That's really an interesting fact.

6. Guardian

Guardian New Member

You would probably have to have a camera with a micro lens in order to get a picture of such a small coin. Sure would like to see one of those. Is there any way of doing that?

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Sure - this is what they look like - Click Here

8. Uncle Herbie

Uncle Herbie Senior Member

Very interesting, especially with pics to go with.

Draft saved Draft deleted