Military Money

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by bobbeth87, May 1, 2009.

1. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Hey, I've got four of these. Are they worth anything? Worth saving (Of course it is...)?

I don't see a year anywhere on it, does anyone know? I'd love to know more about this. THANKS!!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

They were used between '47-'48.

4. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Cool.

That means they were my father's. That is when he was in the Army. These guys will never be sold!!!!

But out of curiousity, are they worth anything other than sentimental value?

5. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

there is a member here that is a master at these MPC's :) there is a nice site about them, but i cant find it now ... go figure...

6. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Series 471 MPC were issued between March 10, 1947 and March 22, 1948. They were used by US forces in Austria, Belgium, England, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Morocco, the Netherlands,Philippines, Ryukyus, Scotland, Trieste and Yugoslavia.

There were 8,288,000 5 cent notes printed and 7,616,000 10 cent notes. They have a catalog of $3-6.00 in this condition. The sentimental value is greater.

7. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Thanks again Lettow. Yes, the sentimental value is much greater. My Dad joined WWII and was on his way to Japan but spent most of his time at Korea.....one of the places you mentioned and during the time you say. So, I can say they were most definitely his.

Thanks guys!!

8. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

At least one EBayer has delusions of granduer about MPC values!

9. lettow

lettow Senior Member

No delusions at all. The Series 471 $10.00 note is one of the scarcer MPC notes. While I question his grading because the scan does not look CU, it catalogs in the MPC catalog a little higher than his price. Prices have softened a little because of the economy but 3-4 years ago this note would have sold at that price. I sold a Series 471 $10.00 in Fine for $100.00+ a few months ago.

The highest price paid for a single piece of MPC at auction was $14,000.00 for a Series 591 $5.00 replacement. That was in 2003. There was a private sale of the only known Series 521 $.25 replacement that was reportedly in the mid-$20,000.00 range. A book of progressive proofs from Series 692 sold for $120,000.00 at auction last year.

10. connor1

connor1 Collector

Military Payment Certificates Value

Hi,I just got interested in MPCs and purchased "Comprehensive Catalog of Military Payment Certificates by Fred Schwan. This is the 4th. edition (2002). I was told the 5th. isn't out yet.I wanted to know if you or any CT member knew of the present value on MPCs like the Green Sheet of some other up to date value guide by condition( gd/fine/ex-fine /gem etc.
    I intend to only buy graded PCGS or PMG or other well know currency grading companies as I know so little about MPC now.
    Thanks,any advice is appreciated .

11. dharris

dharris Junior Member

I have a Japanese ocupation bill; it says on the face, "The Japanese Government
    ONE POUND"

Can anyone give me more information on this? Where could I go for expert advice?

12. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I have heard something about the guy, I would avoid him like the bubonic plague.:thumb:

Have a looky heres:

http://scottishmoney.net/banknotes/usa/usampc.html

13. Art

Art Numismatist?

I have a few MPCs. They're interesting and some of the designs are just fantastic. They make an interesting and attractive collection.

14. connor1

connor1 Collector

First 3 MPSc

Here are a few I'm waiting for delivery :

MPC obverse series 641.jpg

MPC 511.jpg [/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

15. Kent

Kent Junior Member

If you post pictures on here that is all the expert advice you will need these folks are sharp and always help.

16. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The Japanese Government notes denominated in the LSD system were issued for the occupation of the portions of British Oceania (the islands near Australia like New Guinea) by the Japanese. While they are not scarce, they are less common than the notes issued for other Japanese occupied areas.

LSD is the shorthand for the old British currency system:

Libra (Pound)
    Shilling
    Denarii (Penny)

There are contemporary and later reprints of these notes which are less common than the originals. There are two types of reprints. One is obvious because they say REPLICA on the back. These were made during WWII in Australia as souvenirs. The other type can be identified by the shape of the framing around the number 1 on the left side of the note. On genuine notes this shape is rounded. On reprints, it is star shaped similar to the device on the back. I will post pictures later this weekend.

17. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

different notes, series, dates, denominations ect all have different values. if you could post a picture of your note, we could better help you :)

18. connor1

connor1 Collector

US/German MPC

A neighbor of mine who collects stamp came across the MPC & didn't know much about it,either did I,sat around for 3 years in a box of coins.
    Then I checked it out one day not because of the value but the writing on the MPC "Somewhere in Czechoslovakia, April 24 1945"I was told they were printed by the US & the Russian occupying forces in Germany. I think,well that got me started. Here's a few Pictures :

Attached Files:

19. lettow

lettow Senior Member

This note is technically AMC (Allied Military Currency) not MPC (Military Payment Certificate). Although both are issued by the military they served significantly different purposes.

The German AMC like the note above would have been valid for use in the parts of Czechoslovakia that had been annexed into Germany up until the Czech government was restored.

20. connor1

connor1 Collector

Thanks for the info ,you know quite a lot about these !

21. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

In one of the great mistakes after the war, the American authorities gave the glass plates for these notes to the Soviets so they could print notes for their sector. The difference betwixt the American and Soviet printings is the little F in the lower corner of the note on the American printed ones which were printed by Forbes Lithograph of Boston. All of the Allies were supposed to collectively control the amount of notes printed, but of course the Soviets instead followed their own plans and did not report how many they printed or circulated which led to a lot of confusion and eventually the end of the usage of the AMC notes in Germany. The Soviet printed notes are usually worth a little bit more.

Draft saved Draft deleted