Mexico City pillar 1/2 reales 'type set'

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by acanthite, Feb 22, 2010.

1. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

Here is my six piece 'type set', partly as delimited by Krause, for Mexico 1/2 real coins of the pillar design (1732-1771). There are more design variations than this that I consider important, but this at least gives a general overview. During the time interval of this series, it was the lowest denominated coin minted in Mexico (excepting some 'pattern' coins). The weight of this coin type is about 1.65g, diameter generally 16mm.

1735 1/2 real, KM#65
    for the series 1732-1741, the obverse legend extended around the entire periphery of the coin. Also, the assayers' initials (MF) were placed to the left of the obverse shield. On the reverse, the mintmark (M with o above) is shown on either side of the date.
    [​IMG]

1746 1/2 real, KM#66
    For all 1/2 reales after 1741, the obverse shield was extended to the top rim and the legend shortened significantly. Notably, the name of the king (PHILIP V) was shortened to PHS V. The assayer initials were moved to the reverse and only one name is shown (M for Manuel de Leon) to the right of the date.
    [​IMG]

1750 1/2 real, KM#67.1
    Philip V died in 1747 and Ferdinand VI came to the throne of Spain. His name was soon placed on all colonial coins, abbreviated to FRD VI.
    [​IMG]

1758 1/2 real, KM#67.2
    During 1757, the reverse was changed slightly. Whereas prior to this time both lateral pillars were topped by royal crowns, now the left pillar was adorned with the imperial crown.
    [​IMG]

1764 1/2 real, KM#68
    In 1760 the throne passed to Carlos III. His name is abbreviated on the obverse as CAR III. By the year of this particular coin, the chief assayer had changed, but his initial was the same as before (M), and therefore no design alteration was necessary.
    [​IMG]

1771 1/2 real, KM#68
    Same KM#, but a design change that was rather important. From 1770 the chief assayer was Francisco Antonio de la Pena y Flores (F). Thus his initial replaced the M to the right of the date reverse.
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

Nice set of Mexico 1/2 reales :thumb:
    I've always loved that design ... of course it is a classic design within world coins :)

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Very nice ! :thumb:

5. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

That is a very interesting and well structured description of this very appealing coinage.
    Thank you Acanthite! Interesting how the design changed through the years.

One of my eventual goals would be to put together a year set for the 1/2, 1, 2, 4 and 8 reales for 1753 or 1754. Will not be easy......

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice. I dont own any of those pillars, just the Charles xxx ones. Maybe near the end of the year I will start my type set on them.

7. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

Thanks everyone for having a look.

Thanks Eduard. For Mexico City issues, I think your best shot would be 1753. Only the 4 reales is rare. The year 1754 gets complicated with two design changes in the 8 reales, and one in the 4 reales. Some of the resulting varieties don't often come up for sale.

Draft saved Draft deleted