Mercury dime double die

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by asciibaron, May 3, 2007.

1. asciibaron

asciibaron /dev/work/null

i have been looking closely at my 1942-D and it appears to be a double die. the 4 and 2 show artifacts of each number under and slightly offset of the current number. the face of Liberty has an outline from the top of the cap to the truncated bust. i wish i had a macro lens for my DSLR so i could show you what i'm seeing.

at first i thought it was a mechanical DD, but it really appears that the die was doubled - anyone have a record of this double die - the Lange book makes no mention of much of anything other than the 2 over 1 in 42.

i think i scored big if this proves to be a non-mechanical double die. when i bought it, i noticed it looked slightly different than the others, but i wasn't sure why. i can only see the doubling with the 10x glass and it really stands out in bright light.

i'll try to get a picture tonight with my wife's digicam - it has a macro feature, but the camera isn't that great.

-Steve

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You mean "doubled." May as well make sounds like a pro. ;)

Anyway, never heard of a '42-D doubled die. Can't wait to see those pics, though...sounds interesting.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There are two different varieties for the '42-D DDO - descriptions can be found - HERE

5. asciibaron

asciibaron /dev/work/null

6. Gail

Gail Junior Member

1942-D Mercury Double Date?

I also have a 1942-D mercury that i was looking at today and noticed the date is doubled. I was wondering if someone could look at it and tell me if that's what it is or something else. Thanks!

1942-D-DoubleDate.jpg

7. GDJMSP

It appears to be mechanical doubling Gail.

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Gail
    Welcome to the forum.
    And, no, it it not a doubleD die.
    Strike/mechanical doubling.

No added value. ;)

9. oklahomamustang

oklahomamustang Junior Member

bought a 1942 with a doubled look to it

yesterday i bought 1942 D merc. the date was doubled as were all the letters in the word "liberty" and "we" in (in god we trust) just sign up here today and read what others had listed one showed a pic of a 42 date that looked like mine does .i would like to know if the others with the similar date doubled also have offset letters or doubling evident

10. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

great resource !

This is going to be very helpful. I have added this "Mercury Dime Double Dies" web site to my favorites !:thumb:

11. GDJMSP

CONECA is not just for Mercs - but for all coins. This is the home page - http://hermes.csd.net/~coneca/

12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Can you post some pics??

13. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Thanks for that info on those. Didn't know that even existed. Being a Mercury nut, I copied that to WORD and will print it out later for my reverence.

14. ms66

ms66 Junior Member

I have an identicle 1942-D dime, except that there is a very distinct doubling on the left side of the numbers on the entire date. It also shows signs of a RPM. I've shown it to a couple of coin dealers I know and they didn't know what to make of it. I thought maybe it was a variation of the 42/41 variety. Your posting is a couple of years old. Have you found out anymore information on your dime? Does anyone have any information to share? Thanks,

Max

15. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

The two doubled dies will not have much doubling on the first two numbers in date.
    If your coins doubling looks scooted, pushed or pulled, (mashed over) you probably have machine or mechanical doubled coin. Not one of the dies that are the doubled dies.
    Many mainstream coin dealers no so little about true doubled dies as it would not be uncommon to, as you say, "not know what to make of it"!
    We need pictures though to help you.

16. coinnoob007

coinnoob007 New Member

Here is a picture of a 1942-d with dd? Don't think its the 42 over 1? look closely to the 42. The 2 at top and bottom. The 4 at left tip. 1 shows to the left but not in picture. What do you think? 20150212_144148.jpg

17. matthew123

matthew123 New Member

I just put up a 1921 D double date mechanical doubled Mercury on ebay....

Draft saved Draft deleted