Maybe the greatest error ever?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by raider34, Oct 17, 2009.

1. raider34

raider34 Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. James1

James1 Junior Member

its like a nail clipping lol

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Grading it is easy. Since there is no wear, it must be at least MS-60. I assure you that deductions for appearance would guarantee that it gets nothing higher.

5. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

I wonder what clue gave them the idea it was a memorial. Is there zinc in that fragment?.

6. CashDude

CashDude Member

So that broke off of a coin or what?

7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I thought it was frowned upon for Mint workers to take home "souveniers". If so, I wonder how something like that got past the Mint's QA and released for circulation.

8. chip

chip Novice collector

The penny lady had one she posted some pics of. It had just about everything wrong with it, off center, lamination, I think hers was a more impressive error coin,

I just dont "get" error coins, I wonder what that nail clipping will go for?

I would not risk bidding a dollar for it, lest I win it.

9. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

It appears to be a piece of "coin shrapnel". It represents the outer margin of a multi-struck coin (probably part of a pile-up), that broke off. So the PCGS diagnosis is wrong. A fragment did not enter the striking chamber to be struck by the dies. A normal planchet entered the striking chamber and bits of it broke off.

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Per the Heritage write up;

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Nevermind. I see what you are saying now.

12. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

I agree 100% with Mike's thoughts on this. I also think it could be possible that a piece this size could have fallen off a copper-plated zinc cent as a function of a coin's decomposition.

I suspect that I could create a similar coin if I start with an appropriately rotted coin:)

In reality, I think Mike is right in that it is a shard that separated from a pileup of some sort.

In any case, PCGS may have been out in the ozone on this one.

Thanks,
    Bill

13. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

This would not even come in 168th in greatest Lincoln error IMO.

This would not even come in 168th in greatest Lincoln error IMO.
    An error, any error on a coin still needs to look like a coin to some degree to provide contrast and interest for the eyes.

14. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Lol btw I was being sarcastic about the greatest error ever. I agree it's not even close to the greatest error. Now as for the strangest error I've ever seen authenticated, it just might win :D.

15. chip

chip Novice collector

yeah, like someone wrote that looked more like a nail clipping than a coin.

16. chip

chip Novice collector

I caught the snarkiness I think, maybe not in all its nuances tho.

I think I might be more interested in one of these if it was a proof version.

17. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Ah yes, if it was a proof nail clipping, I would have handed Heritage a blank check and said you write whatever you want on that.

Lol, another thing I've been wondering is; Who found this little thing and said " oh yeah thats an error, I'm sending this in".

Draft saved Draft deleted