Marcus Aurelius Silver Denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bonedigger, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

The Good Emperor 161-180. The copper I 'think' is also an Aurelius but it's so corroded and clipped that it's difficult to be sure. The portraits look alike.

Bone

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Glen warren

Glen warren Junior Member

Going by the image I get the impression that the silver denarius is Marcus Aurelius and the Limes denarious (copper) is Antonius Pius.

4. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

bonedigger,
    you can go here http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/marcus_aurelius/i.html and click on the thumbnails link and most likely find both of your coins pictured there.At first I thought they were not Aurelius because mine shows him as a young non-bearded man but on this page,you can see he is bearded in later life.Strangely,your coin portrait looks more like his son Commodus on my coin.Family resemblance.

Attached Files:

5. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

6. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Thanks for the info :) Would you believe I cleaned those babies myself! All except for the Alexander and the Trajan Decius. I have a seller in Greece who contacts me when he gets a load of ancients. They ain't cheap, sometimes $5.00 a coin, but cleaning them is worth it. I've traded him souvenirs (Rank Insignia, Coffee Cups, BDU Floppy Hats, etc.) from the military base near here.

You should see the Michael IV Byzantine Follis I have, it's simply beautiful. The Christ figure is clear and you can even make out the facial features.

Bone

7. sylvester

sylvester New Member

I would call $5 a coin very cheap indeed! My Septimus Severus denarius cost me £48. (c.$84).

8. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Sylvester,
    I asked this on another thread but I guess you didn't see it.I didn't know you collected Romans.What do you have? any specialties?

9. sylvester

sylvester New Member

That's cos i've only just started with them! :D

Currently i'm favouring the denarii more than anything. Alot of people try and collect by Emperor, but i've decided to collect them by gods rather than Emperor, this does not include personifications though.

Although of course i wouldn't turn down a notorious emperor if one turns up. I know where there's a Nero aureus with Jupiter on the reverse! (Very expensive though!)

Draft saved Draft deleted