LordM Quick Quiz #1 ("Money & Moais")

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Feb 24, 2018.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Odd Supporter

Greetings, and welcome to my Quick Quiz #1!

In my regular monthly giveaways, the winners are usually selected by random drawing and no special skill (numismatic or otherwise) is usually required. I try not to make the contestants work too hard.

Now, with the Quick Quiz, we will have short contests, each consisting of a single trivia question, posted whenever the mood strikes me.

Each Quick Quiz will last only until somebody answers the trivia question correctly.

You'll be working for it this time, and for not terribly scintillating prizes, either.

The winner of each Quick Quiz will get a choice of prize options.

• a very modest PayPal gift from me; usually in the $1-5 range, depending on my perceived difficulty of the question (whooo! don't spend all that in one place! haha)
    • a mystery gift coin which will be similarly inexpensive ($1-5 value, usually), but which should be interesting, attractive, unusual, or just fun. (And hopefully more than one of those attributes. I'm pretty good at the "cheap but fun" thing, if I do say so myself.)
    • Pride in your trivia prowess, of course. Impress your friends!
    Not all the trivia questions will require numismatic knowledge. Most should be more general trivia with some minor coin-related angle.

Now, with those preliminaries out of the way, if y'all are ready to put on your thinking caps, let's get to our first Quick Quiz, and see how quick it actually ends up being!

Stay tuned while I grab a photo and answer some messages...
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    ken454 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

LordM Quick Quiz #1 (Money & Moais)

I recently discovered my smartphone has a tiny Easter Island Moai head in its emoji menu, which deighted me way more than it would any rationally sane person. So in honor of that, here's our first Quick Quiz trivia question:

What 1970s/80s Classic Rock band had an album whose cover art and title featured not only Easter Island Moai heads, but a coin reference as well?

First to answer correctly gets the choice of either a $1.65 PayPal gift from me (whee!) or a mystery coin gift worth somewhere between that amount and $3.00.

(If you go for the mystery gift option and promise to post what you got here after you receive it, I might put a little more care into selecting it...)

4. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Styx - Pieces of Eight
    The jig is up, the news is out...

Styx - Pieces Of Eight-Back.jpg
    lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

And the first LordM Quick Quiz was indeed a quick one, for indeed, the jig is up and the news is out, and @Garlicus not only gets a choice of scintillating prizes, but also the laurels of being the very first, inaugural LordM Quick Quiz winner!

For the 1978 Styx album "Pieces of Eight" had a picture of ladies wearing Moai-head earrings on the cover.

And "Pieces of Eight" is of course a reference to a legendary and historic coin type.

Thanks for playing. I'll try to make the next one more challenging. ;)

@Garlicus- pick your prize, Super Squirrel!
    Garlicus likes this.
  6. Garlicus

Woohoo, I get laurels!!! I looked at that album cover many times, as I played out Renegade and other songs on the album. Still have the album tucked away in one of my wooden fruit cases/boxes, where I stored my albums, like many others back in the day.

Thank you for holding this, and future contests. I will take bragging rights (and my laurels, lol) as my prize :) (unless there is some type of opportunity to parlay individual wins into a bigger prize, lol. The size of the prize isn't an issue, just don't want to burden you with the trouble)
  7. lordmarcovan

I'm in it for the sheer joy of it, or I wouldn't do all these silly contests and stuff.

Pick yer prize! ;)

If you're concerned about my time, go for the quickie buck-sixty-five PayPal prize. I mean, how much hassle is that on me, really, in terms of time and treasure?

(Why the odd amount? No reason, really, except I was a '65 baby and sometimes use that as one of my "lucky numbers".)

OR... you could always go for the Mystery Coin prize. That option admittedly does take me more effort to select and ship, but would also be more fun for me if you posted it after you got it (thereby making it more of an effort for you, too, though doing so would be entirely optional on your part.)

Fine by me either way. :)
  8. lordmarcovan

Y'know what?

This is not a bad idea at all. In fact, you just gave me ANOTHER idea!

I think you'll like it. I have a prize for you. Let me work on it a bit and I'll run it by you.

(I get very creative- if mildly insane- during my manic episodes.) ;)
  9. lordmarcovan

@Garlicus - what do you think of something like this, for people who want to "save stuff up" rather than take a bunch of teeny-tiny payouts?

It would need the mods' nod, and I would need @Deacon Ray to produce something more suitable, but here's my crude prototype for the time being.

(I upped you to five bucks, 'cause I liked your idea.)

This is essentially an electronic IOU certificate. The serial numbers would be kept in a ledger by me.

The serial number for the one shown below - yours, the very first one issued - is broken down like this:

First six digits = date of issue (yy/mm/dd).
    Next two digits = serial number in order of certificates issued on that day
    Last two digits = denomination in dollars.​

Think of this as the "1792 half disme" of LordM Cryptoscrip, if you will. You just got the first one. Like the half dismes that were reputedly struck from George and Martha Washington's silverware. A little crude at first, but a beginning.

I run a lot of cheap giveaways, so this might be a good alternate option for folks who aren't really all that interested in what I'm offering as a prize.
    ddddd, Garlicus and Deacon Ray like this.
  10. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Biblical Kingdoms Supporter

My sword (mouse) is in your service, my Lord!
    Garlicus and lordmarcovan like this.
  11. Garlicus

Thank you, my lord. I like it :)

Thank you for the bump up in prize, as well. Not expected, but appreciated.
    lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Honestly, that idea you have sounds great! The only problem is when someone gets one hundred of them...
    Also, did you know that the half dismes were made from Thomas Jefferson’s bullion?
    lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. lordmarcovan

Nope, hadn't heard that half disme factoid. Maybe after coming up with enough quiz questions, and doing the necessary homework for those, my own trivia knowledge will be expanded.
    Milesofwho likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted