[CLOSED] LordM, Nathan401, & Santinidollar giveaway, July 2018

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Hi K., Welcome to CT. Have your almost -3-year old (and you !) got a name ? Some of us are still in our ABCs, but your almost-3-year old is smart enough to know how to spell Qoin ! He might teach us all something about Qoins !

Coinneseur likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Raising them right

KArmstrong likes this.
  4. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Entry Post

This month is my birthday so on the same I am going to a local coin show. I will show the coins to you guys after I purchase them, oh and by the way I am getting coins for my b-day to so I will show them to you guys too. Thanks For the Contest! :) And congrats to whoever wins.

Coinneseur and lordmarcovan like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Medals and exonumia are great, and should fulfill the "coin-related" requirement just fine.
    Sadly, that one doesn't think much of humans except ladymarcovan. She (Josie the Cat, not ladymarcovan) has grown up to be rather aloof and standoffish. Pretty, but not much personality.

Welcome, and good luck! There are three prizes this month, so you've effectively got three chances to win something.

KArmstrong likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

Cherrypicking World Coin bulk lots used to be one of my very favorite things to do. I don't have as much time and energy to devote to it nowadays, but it is certainly fun, extremely educational, and occasionally profitable. I still do it sometimes.

Most of what I know about history and geography I learned directly or indirectly from coins, not school. Almost all of the tiny smatterings of Latin, French, and German that I know also came from studying coins.

Coinneseur likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

Those are fantastic. I've had one or two single pieces of those early-1900s repoussé "popout" coins, but never a matched set like that on the original jewelry, like your grandfather's watch chain there. That's a really superb set. I suspect that not very many of the original pieces like that survived intact.

This one I had on a 1900 Barber dime was not in the greatest shape (slightly bent), but it was cheap enough that I couldn't resist buying it. I've heard of at least one person finding one of these while detecting, which would make my day.

1900-BarberDimePopout-002500.png

Those are awesome. If I ever succumb to the temptation to collect paper money, German notgeld will likely be my very first stop on the tour. (So far I've resisted that urge for 42 years and stuck to coins, but I could see myself doing notgeld.)

In fact, I came by a lot of nearly 50 pieces two years ago. I ended up selling them, but did toy with the idea of starting a collection of them. On an earlier occasion I had some of those crazy Paderborn notes with the pooping donkey, like you posted.

NotgeldLot.jpg

Oldhoopster likes this.
  8. Bert Gedin

Thanks, LordM, for the helpful replies. - "She has grown up to be rather aloof and standoffish. Pretty, but not much personality." Might Josie be suitable material as a new CT Member ?

9. KArmstrong

KArmstrong New Member

Yes! My name is Kimberly and his is Ezekiel. He is very curious.

Thanks!

10. lordmarcovan

She's just a cat, so she doesn't have any badly mutilated pocket change to post on the Error Coins forum.

juris klavins likes this.
  11. Bert Gedin

Hi Kimberley and Ezekiel. Isn't Kimberley also a diamond mine in South Africa ?

12. lordmarcovan

Yes.

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

From an original mint set...........(gotta keep the 'coin theme' going for LordM :))

DSC_2110-horz.jpg

Nathan401, DEA and lordmarcovan like this.
  14. Bert Gedin

Entry Post. A Tall Story. For those numismaticly inclined, we mostly agree that tokens, amulets, medallions etc. compliment collector's coins. So when an "unidentified" medallion of Munster in Ulm turned up for Ebay auction, I offered lowest bid, 99 pence, and that won me the auction ! The medallion commemorated, in German, the building of, possibly, the highest church in the world. Construction, financed by City inhabitants, commenced in 1377, with consecration in 1494. By no means a rare or antique medallion, probably sold by the thousands to tourists of 2018. But, having paid a mere 99 pence, plus a few pence more for shipping, why should I grumble ?

lordmarcovan and Nathan401 like this.
  15. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Entry Post.

I went to a coin show today in Indianapolis, and most all the dealers were so pleasant. Here is a pic of the show and two of the dealers. Some people might recognize one in particular from being on CT. I bought ten coins. Six are ancients, one is a world coin, and three are US.

20180708_122930.jpg 20180708_110155.jpg 20180708_113305.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    lordmarcovan and green18 like this.
  16. green18

17. green18

Kripes! It's Lost Dutchman!

18. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

He was lost until I found him. Lol.

lordmarcovan and green18 like this.
  19. UScoins1964

UScoins1964 New Member

Entry post..and this is my 1955-d unc. And keeps toning and it's actually starting to look good now. 20180708_112841.jpg

Kasia and DEA like this.
  20. Bert Gedin

to Kasia. Amazing Grace !

21. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

I have one of those pop out coins as a Morgan dollar is that worth anything??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.