[CLOSED] LordM, Nathan401, & Santinidollar giveaway, July 2018

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

LordM, Nathan401, & Santinidollar giveaway, July 2018

Deadline for entries: midnight Eastern US time, Tuesday, July 31, 2018.

July 2018 giveaway- banner.png

Photo credit: Jekyll Island, Georgia pier and Sidney Lanier Bridge, by Bert Cash

Hi, everybody, and welcome to the latest monthly giveaway!

To enter, here's what you'll need to do:

1. Please include the words "entry post" in your initial post to this thread. This enables me to sort out the eligible posts from the secondary commentary posts later, when the drawings are held. You may reply to this thread as many times as you like, but each member gets only one eligible entry post per month. If you put the phrase "entry post" into more than one reply, you will disqualify yourself for the month.
    2. In addition to the words "entry post", post something else that's fun, creative, amusing, or interesting. Anything you like. However, please note that since we're back on the Contests forum this month, your post must include something coin-related, though I do welcome general chitchat and pet pictures and whatever else. Just find some kind of numismatic tie-in for your post, is all, so @GDJMSP doesn't smite me! ;) A quality post won't improve your odds in the drawing, since that's random, but it's more fun to read, obviously.
    3. If your lucky number (the permalink number of your entry post) comes up in the drawing at the end of the month, you've won a prize. Drawings are done with the random.org True Random Number Generator.
    4. To see how this works and has played out before, look at some of the past monthly giveaways (I've put an archive of those in Post #2).
    5. I will gladly ship prizes outside the USA, but if international shipping proves to be cost-prohibitive, I do reserve the right to substitute prizes (such as with an electronic PayPal gift, etc).
    6. If you are a minor, I'm delighted to have you play, but please make sure you have your parents' permission to enter this giveaway, since if you win, I will be required to ask for your mailing address, obviously.

This month there are (3) prize lots, so three winners will be drawn.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Prize Lot A, (from @lordmarcovan)

• (1) 1876 Seated Liberty quarter, Fine-ish, with "CircCam" contrast,
    • (1) WW2 Allied Victory medal, MacArthur & Eisenhower, 1945 (similar to this, but in gilt rather than silver),
    • (1) aluminum "Man In Space/Mercury III/Alan Sheppard" token, issued by Shell Oil, ca. 1969 (info and obverse picture of one here), and
    • (3) Brilliant Uncirculated Lincoln Wheat cents: 1956, 1957, 1958, all with original mint Red (though the 1958 is somewhat subdued).
    July 2018 giveaway- Prize 1A.png

20180701_194345.jpg

Prize Lot B, (from @Nathan401 )

In his words:

• "I have 2 silver Proof 2018 Block Island Quarters, 2 regular Proof of the same, a Morgan, and a circulated silver type set of sorts. I'd like to throw it all in."
    (Looks like there's a 1910 Liberty nickel in there, too.)
    July 2018 giveaway- Prize 2A.png

July 2018 giveaway- Prize 2B.png

July 2018 giveaway- Prize 2C.png

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Prize Lot C, (from @Santinidollar)

• (1) 1921 Morgan dollar, NGC MS63, certification #4257653-033.
    July 2018 giveaway- Prize 3A.png

July 2018 giveaway- Prize 3B.png

Good luck, everyone! :)

And many thanks to my gracious donor partners this month and in the past.

Coinneseur, Seattlite86, Ryro and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

Archive of monthly LordM CoinTalk giveaways
    (There were a few others, but these were the ones that kind of settled into a regular monthly pattern.)

Noah Finney and Curtisimo like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

Let the entries begin!

Many thanks to @Nathan401 and @Santinidollar.

When Nathan showed me what he was putting up, I saw how much silver was there and knew he'd thrown my original prize ideas for this month into the shade, so I had to step up my game. He reminded me that this is 4th of July week, so America's Independence Day was the obvious theme. I tried to find something along those lines, so that's how we ended up with an 1876 quarter from the Centennial year.

@Santinidollar was kind enough to throw in a nice slabbed Morgan, so I think it's a pretty good batch of stuff all around. All American this month, though that's appropriate. We'll take a break from my usual World & Ancient inclinations.

@dwhiz also gifted me some goodies, and an anonymous member I'll call "The Gentleman from Africa" did, too. Fun stuff in both packages. Some of those items may end up in our future giveaways, though I might keep a few pieces for myself.

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

entry post... A $250.00 dime box I coin roll hunted dimes a long time ago for silver. on average 1-2 silver dimes a box...

jun21 020 copy.jpg
    18835819_1699718863374604_6377284885533161817_n copy 2.jpg
    10527410_5764455324grffff76049_3500672488415933016_n.jpg 11021222_71076736571rdn6jz0531_5009847165600667659_n.jpg
    s-l1600 5678 copy.jpg
    Image08272017121536 copy 2.jpg

6. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

ENTRY POST
    ms-jTYf7R.gif
    Another give away WOW could I get lucky again.
    Coin related is this a mint error.
    417.jpg
    LOL Dave

7. lordmarcovan

That, I believe, is a vintage shuffleboard puck, not a coin! :smuggrin:

[​IMG]

8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Entry Post
    Happy Independence Day!! However he could do without the fireworks.
    IMG_2797.JPG

9. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Entry post. This "coin" is really an unknown. Very small, think it is 13 mm D and almost no grams in weight or mass. Looks like copper. Any of you certified genius coin persons know what it is or might be? Unknown obv.JPG Unkonwn rev.JPG

10. lordmarcovan

Hoo boy, you sure throw a mean curveball, don'tcha? ;)

We might get a sage and wizardly type who knows exactly what that is, but you've got me stumped. Could be anywhere from the 1st to 18th centuries, and Eastern or Western, for all I know.

But I think Western - European - and 17th or 18th century. Looks milled and mostly round rather than hammered and irregular.

I'm getting a German States or Swiss Cantons vibe.

Look what happens when you invert that picture.

"House with gabled roof" suddenly becomes "fortress with two towers and a dude (or statue) inside with a cross on top".

And I think I see the whole design being on some kind of heraldic shield. And maybe two letters or symbols- one on each side, flanking the building.

Or am I nuts?

Of course I'm nuts. LOL. But you can still be nuts and be right, though, eh?

20180702_083651.jpg

Noah Finney likes this.
  11. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

IMG_1227.JPG Prayers at Valley Forge by Arnold Friberg
    Happy Birthday USA!

12. lordmarcovan

@coin_nut- Look at this old seal from Hamburg ...

350px-Hamburgz9.jpg

Noah Finney likes this.
  13. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

You're not nuts, just a mildly eccentric genius sort of fellow. Of the thousands of coins I have here, this one really has me stumped.......so far...

Noah Finney and lordmarcovan like this.
  14. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Entry Post
    upload_2018-7-2_9-26-32.png

15. lordmarcovan

The mystery of @coin_nut's (Hamburg?) coin is gonna nag at me. I'll have to continue trying to solve it.

Y'know, being that small and possibly German, I wouldn't be terribly surprised at all if we discovered it to be a uniface strike.

That blank side might not have had its design worn off.

There might not even have been a design there in the first place!

Noah Finney likes this.
  16. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Entry Post

One of the sub-collections I have is 1776 dated world coins. That is relevant for this months theme. Of course, I have a Wildman.

GerBru177601.jpg GerBru177602.jpg

Santinidollar, DEA, green18 and 5 others like this.
  17. lordmarcovan

And a Wildman issued in the name of the very same George III who was the unwilling addressee of our Declaration of Independence!

Chris B likes this.
  18. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

Entry Post

IMG_2977.JPG
    My bin o' wheat cents :)

19. lordmarcovan

Coinneseur, DEA and spirityoda like this.
  20. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

Wow!

Coinneseur and spirityoda like this.
  21. lordmarcovan

That's the understatement of the week. :hilarious:

spirityoda and Wheatmaster101 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.