[CLOSED] LordM, H8_modern, Kasia, & Nas giveaway, August 2018

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Entry Post.

Since my B-day is in Aug, I got myself a present yesterday. 1852UpCanhalf.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

lordmarcovan, Nas and MontCollector like this.
  4. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Do you mean My Ark??? Lol :):D

5. Jason Lautzenheiser

Jason Lautzenheiser Active Member

Entry Post

Here's a new merchant token from my very, very small town that I grew up in.

Justus-token-2 (2).jpg Justus-token-2 (1).jpg

alk1129, alurid, lordmarcovan and 4 others like this.
  6. MontCollector

Thank you:)

7. dwsmn

dwsmn Member

Entry Post

In addition to coins, I really like foreign bank notes. I recently picked up a random selection of 125 notes, including these colorful ones from Burundi. I really like the consecutive serial numbers on the 10 franc notes and the color of the 20. (Apologies for the photos - I used my phone). IMG_20180807_172637320_HDR.jpg IMG_20180807_172417233_HDR.jpg

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

ENTRY POST

Why doesn’t the US Mint make better use of classic coin designs?

For example: The Buffalo then.

6FE3D3DB-345D-4CE3-9334-10388DCBBFDA.jpeg
    36915FF0-57A9-4345-AD5D-58E3234CCEFE.jpeg

And the Buffalo now...

A5BB3E78-37B3-4334-8259-C6D1D0B8CEEE.jpeg

92236FB8-E564-4D67-AF3C-748E3FB44B55.jpeg

Point made!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  9. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

1000TH MESSAGE YAY!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

lordmarcovan, Nas, spirityoda and 2 others like this.
  10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

A090C1BE-69B7-4E2F-B1B4-F0DDD5087F49.jpeg

11. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

I love it when you’re able to find stuff like that. I was recently gifted around seven tokens from my mom’s hometown. We visit there frequently, so when I go back I’ll try to get more information on the company that issued them.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. Jason Lautzenheiser

Jason Lautzenheiser Active Member

Yes, I like the local history like that. The town, Justus, is really nothing more than a collection of houses now. Pre WW2 or so, it was the booming town, but then the railroad moved into a nearby town, 2 miles away or so, and that town built up. So the history is hard to come by, so it's always fun to find something like this popup from time to time.

Milesofwho likes this.
  13. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Entry post aeaf4325326320144b1f619893fcc697.jpg CollageMaker Plus_201846173140193.png
    PhilipII
    Of Apollo / rider horse
    AE16 350 BC

14. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Entry Post

Big coin, but it buys a lot ;)

alk1129, lordmarcovan and Nas like this.
  15. CREATIVECRHUNTER

CREATIVECRHUNTER Well-Known Member

Entry Post:

I thought people starting out would enjoy seeing my workspace when I am sorting a box of coins for further examination.
    First, I separate into date and mintmarks. I continue until I have gone through several boxes and have many coins for each year and mintmark. This makes looking for rare varieties much easier because I can choose a year and mintmark, pull up my websites I already have in files on my computer (for pennies, nickels, quarters, etc), turn on my microscope attached to a second screen and get to work.
    This, makes hunting more organized and less taxing on the brain because your only looking at one year and one mintmark at a time for several coins.

Attached Files:

PlanoSteve, lordmarcovan and Nas like this.
  16. ALAN DAVIS

ALAN DAVIS Old Sopemaker

“ENTRY POST” and thank you very much for the chance.

lordmarcovan and Nas like this.
  17. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Entry post. Some of you may have noticed various items on the borders of my photos. Well, this is the desk I photograph my stuff on, or my working space. 3A261078-E974-4FB2-A069-292D62DE49D6.jpeg

18. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

entry post

This coin I came across today while looking through some world coins that I purchased a few years back. What I found most interesting is United States of America on the coin. I am guessing is that in 1944 the USA had control over the Phillipines . The coin is 50 centavos . I believe it is part silver , and has a S which may be the mint mark . the S is a fair distance from the word Filipina .The coin also has a small s on the reverse .The obverse has a Lady in a flowing gown similar to other US made coins and on the reverse it has a Eagle on top of what looks to be a historic logo .I find the artist did a nice job in designing the coin. This one I am adding to my collection. I hope you all enjoy looking at this coin , and I am sure most of the US members has seen similar types of coins from this time period. Thank You for looking , all info you have to enlighten me will be appreciated. Dillan

Attached Files:

Nas, MontCollector and Kasia like this.
  19. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

HAPPY BIRTHDAY @ MONT COLLECTOR , I see you picked up a very nice Upper Bank of Canada Token/coin to treat yourself to a well deserved Birthday gift. I usually end up buying my self a gift on my Birthday also . That way I know I will get one for sure !!! Dillan

Theodosius and MontCollector like this.
  20. MontCollector

Nice coin @Dillan....Cute avatar too!:happy:

Japan occupied the Philippines during WWII. The US and the Philippines joined forces in 1944 to stop the occupation.

Actually the US minted many coins for lots of different countries. Here is a complete list from the PCGS website.
    https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/mu...tured-by-mints-united-states/composition/4824

Thank you!:happy:

Santinidollar likes this.
  21. chuck123

chuck123 Active Member

Entry post
    My grandson was cleaning my yard for me this past week and he found a Japanese coin with a square hole from the 1940s or 1950s but I haven't found it for sure yet. I've gotten out my world coin catalog and I've just started looking. I have no idea how it got there because it was over in the corner where no one goes. I will post some pictures when I find out for sure what year it is. I'm going to have to tell him to check all the corners a little better. Happy coin hunting to all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.