[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway, December 2018: who wants some CircCam silver?

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Granbeck

Granbeck Active Member

Entry post

Since I am a little brain-dead this morning following a wonderful Christmas, my entry is wish everyone a successful 2019 in their collecting. I have enjoyed the company.

lordmarcovan and Kasia like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Reminds me of that 1806 half Marcovan had... discovery piece.

Whenever I see a holed DB half I think of that.

Treashunt and Noah Finney like this.
  4. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

Entry post
    I recently bought one exemplar of Maria Theresia, a coin I've been waiting for a long time. Is an H49a - Variant 1 - strike date 1860-90/900. Seems to me a CircCam coin, but the pictures don't show the luster exactly as I see. Wonderful coin!!

DSC00682.JPG DSC00683.JPG

Bayern, lordmarcovan and Noah Finney like this.
  5. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I got one a relative of mine just gifted me (been gifted one a number of years ago also), and they were purchased in Jordan. Mine is not as old as yours, but it looks worse on wear.

lordmarcovan and Wal888 like this.
  6. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

I did not expect to purchase. I was simply searching silver coins in random sites here in Brazil, when I cross with a girl offering this coin. We negotiate and so I figured out that the coin was received years ago from her grandmother that lived in Europe.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    Kasia likes this.
  7. BOB SCHREINER

BOB SCHREINER New Member

"entry post" MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! to everyone in this forum!!! my name is bob and i really need your help!!! my dad passed away and left me his coin collection, including a large collection of foreign coins that he collected from every town that he was in in Europe while he was in the war!!! i live in UNION,Mo. about 50 miles west of ST. LOUIS, MO. i really need to know where i can find out the value of these coins!!! if anyone can help me please e-mail me at [sorry, Bob, had to remove your email, per the forum Rules.] thank you and GOD bless you all sincerely BOB SCHREINER

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2018
    lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

"Entry Post" My granddaughter gave me a sreel cent for Christmas but said she'd hold on to it cuz i lost my 72 poormans doubled die. True story on both fronts

lordmarcovan and bsting like this.
  9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nice still lifes, y'all. I found @Omegaraptor's particularly appealing- practically postcard-worthy.
    As do I, ever since the 1806 O-129 discovery coin slipped from my unknowing grasp, right off my Holey Coin Vest, only to become famous and worth thousands of dollars... after I'd sold it for 75 bucks!

Noah Finney likes this.
  10. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Entry Post
    Happy holidays
    Sassy made me do it. Lol
    Dave 20171106_070125.jpg
    Sorry about that my favorite sliver coin is one that my grandfather carried everyday till he died 1879 mint condition.(Lol)
    Dave
    20180125_063415_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Bayern, Kasia, Noah Finney and 2 others like this.
  11. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

Entry Post

Just got home from Christmas with my wife's family last night. She had gotten me 4 of the Ike dollars that I needed for my set this year for Christmas (She loves it now that all thats left are the cheaper clad coins... lol). While trying to figure out which variety the 71D she got me was I made a major discovery. My non-collecting wife is better at picking coins than I am. She managed to find the Friendly Eagle variety of the coin, and got it for teh same price as the common reverse.

She's always done a great job picking very nice looking coins for me for gifts, but this year she out did herself... :)

1D1971D-08a.001obv.JPG 1D1971D-08a.001rev.JPG

Kasia, Noah Finney and lordmarcovan like this.
  12. Choucas

Choucas Well-Known Member

Entry post

Hello and here's a circam coin (at least, I think) from a celtic tribe (Treveri). My father had it on our attic for like 30 years amongst world coins. I was very happy when he gave it to me as I saw it was celtic, but it was hard to identify it (it's very small, 9mm).
    DSC00084.JPG DSC00087.JPG

Bayern and Noah Finney like this.
  13. son&son

son&son New Member

Entry post

Tried for a creative Christmas Gift this year. Obverse features a star of bethlehem and reverse shows a christmas tree. Both are ringed by a circle of six pointed stars. They are about 22mm diameter, struck on planchets hammered from bronze LMC. Gave them out in airtites with easels and a small info card.

I struck them with an 8lb sledge hammer which was barely enough force and had a pretty high failure rate but got a couple dozen good strikes out of the 100 or so I did.

Christmas coin view.jpg Obverse die crop.jpg reverse die crop.jpg Punch Crop.jpg
    The punches were made from an old weed whacker drive shaft and worked out pretty well. The bolts were a cheap+easy solution for the dies but were definitely not ideal, I will use more suitable material next time. Went through three obverse dies due to the hammer slipping and getting some horrific clashes. The center die had the longest service life as evidenced by the deformation of the bolt/nut as it extruded into the hardy hole of the anvil.

I ended up not having time to clean the planchets after annealing and I thought it was very interesting that the striking luster came up through the scale and patina from the flame. Though the photos do not show it well, some pieces have very prooflike surfaces on the fields in the later reverse die states once it had been work planished to a very bright finish.

Choucas, Bayern, brokecoinguy and 3 others like this.
  14. KellenCoin

KellenCoin New Member

Entry post. Fun thing: A numismatist is never afraid of change.

Choucas likes this.
  15. lordmarcovan

It looks similar to one I added to my MA-Shops watchlist just this morning. Yours looks to have been struck in slightly paler electrum. A Celtic coin is on my "to-do" list, though I still know relatively little about them just yet. I want a full stater in gold or electrum, but those stretch the outer limits of my budget.

[​IMG]

I really wanted to dig one when I was detecting in Essex, UK five years ago. We were on a field where several had been found. I didn't get one, but I did get a Charles I silver penny and George II copper farthing there. Wouldn't you know, the day after I left, somebody else in the club did dig up a gold Celtic stater!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Bayern and Choucas like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

That looks like a fun project. I look forward to seeing your future ones.

Noah Finney likes this.
  17. Choucas

Choucas Well-Known Member

@lordmarcovan Mine is actually silver (pics don't show it well). It's this one :
    https://www.cgb.fr/trevires-region-...-au-personnage-assis-tb-sup,bga_275062,a.html
    I only own this single celtic coin and a very small book explaining the designs on celtic coinage. My knowledge about this coinage is not very high.

The full stater are indeed expensive. The one you added in your wish-lish is more affordable and at a very fair price regarding its relatively good condition.

About the silver coin preference, isn't it in the other contest thread ?

18. Travis G

Travis G Active Member

Entry post

Attached Files:

19. lordmarcovan

Sorry. That was some text on my clipboard which accidentally got pasted into my post over here somehow. (Said text did originate on the other giveaway thread.)

20. brokecoinguy

brokecoinguy I like what I can't afford

Entry Post

Probably one of my favorite coins. My grandfather was never a collector but would always save me old nickles and half dollars when he got them in change, same for my dad.

When my grandpa passed away our family found this lonely peace dollar just sitting loose in his sock drawer. Wish I knew the story behind it but having it in my collection is good enough for me. New years would've been his 81st birthday as well.

Thanks for doing the giveaway @lordmarcovan!

Attached Files:

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Member

Entry Post:

I've never owned a "new car". My first car, in 1983, was a 1968 VW Beetle, and the first thing I did was removed the seats and vacuum it out. Much to my surprise I found eight silver half dollars, 3 BF and 5 JFK.
    As with every other car I've bought, I've removed the seats, front and rear, and always found coins. The coolest was a roll of Mercury dimes in a 1950 Buick Roadmaster I bought in 1989 for $600... I drove it until the first gulf war raised the gas prices.
    Happy new year!

Granbeck, Choucas, Kasia and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.