[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway, April, 2018

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Apr 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

No, don't ever clean that crustiness! That's dirty in the right way!

Who is/was the Dirty Gold Guy over on CU? RYK, I think.

bsshog40 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

That sounds right. Too many fun years for me to keep it all straight. I remember Bill Jones had some great gold pieces.

4. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I'm very, very late to this thread, but I wanted to tell @Randy Abercrombie how much I enjoyed this story. Your mom sounds like a wonderful woman and a terrific parent and role model, and you're a good son. I'm sure the mother's day gift is going to be a huge hit. Of all people, she knows how much that coin has meant to you.

Alas, I have no interesting story to tell. The only gold coins I own are a handful of 1-ounce American gold eagles. They're in my SDB at the bank and I don't remember the dates or exactly when I purchased them (I'm thinking mid to late 90s maybe?), but I do know it was when gold was just $275/ounce, so at least they've been a good investment.

5. Craigescape

Craigescape Member

Entry post

I have never owned a good coin so no neat story to tell

bsshog40 and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Entry post:

My very first gold coin was obtained in about 1973.

I was a teller in a bank at the time and one Friday evening I was proving up when the head teller, who used to fight me for silver coins, that I accumulated in my drawer but could never afford to keep any, since I earned a massive $75.00 a week [gross!].

Anyway, she came over & said" I don't want this, do you?" and handed me a $5 Liberty gold coin.

I figured even if it was fake there had to be $5 of gold in it. So I flipped her a $5 bill from my drawer.

A couple of weeks later I managed to see it for about $37.50, to a coin dealer. I had to sell it, I was hungry.

:)

7. lordmarcovan

In a rare moment of perfect timing, I just got the little Indian gold coin in the mail. Have not opened it yet. I will bring it to work so I can do that when I do the drawing, sometime in the wee hours of Tuesday morning if it is not too busy a night. (I am a hotel night auditor by trade, and do most of my online coin stuff literally in the middle of the night, after my work-related chores are done.)

So I'll post pix of the actual coin received when I announce the winners. Hope it isn't a featureless blob. It's gonna be extremely tiny and very crude - we already know that - but hopefully it'll have some kind of "design" to it.

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Entry Post
    My first gold coin was a 2010 $5 Gold Eagle, 1/10th oz. It was an introductory offer from one of the gold investment firms. I love the look and will probably keep it until I leave this mortal coil.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

With any luck we’ll figure out what the other things are.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. lordmarcovan

They were presented to me as being struck by the Amirs of Sindh. That attribution seems plausible enough to me until proven otherwise. (But I really don't know.)

That's why I put a disclaimer on the flip inserts.

20180424_205540.jpg CollageMaker_20180424_205512629.jpg

(Pix borrowed from @Justin Lee, who won one of these in one of my other recent giveaways.)

11. Milesofwho

I’ve given my opinion on what it’s not and the evidence for it when this thread first began, but I have no earthly idea what it really is.

12. lordmarcovan

You almost certainly know more than I do, even if it's a case of knowing what they aren't. But without being provided an alternate attribution for what they are, I just ran with what (vague, incomplete) information I had.

If anybody does find a firm attribution of these, do please let us know.

I know they came from India. Directly and literally. A CoinTalk member from India sent them to me. He said they were Amirs of Sindh but did not know anything else (and I don't know how confident he was of the Sindh attribution).

There you have it.

13. Milesofwho

Ok! I didn’t mean any harm. Thank you.

14. lordmarcovan

No harm taken- I just couldn't go with a negative atttibution like, "This isn't a ..."

Had to call 'em something, even if that attribution was uncertain and came with a disclaimer.

Maybe you'll win one and go on to solve the mystery for the rest of us! :)

15. Milesofwho

I highly doubt that.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  16. Milesofwho

I can’t read any Arabic if I tried.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  17. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

Wow, small is right, unless you have really big fingers. Lol I wish I could read them too. That is very artistic for the time period on such small coins!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  18. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

kudos to you melord, for your charitable act of giving a ancient coin away. i salute you sir! :)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. lordmarcovan

Well, folks, here are our April winners! :)

The four names below were selected by the random number generator.

@Craigescape's number came up, for Post #104.
    As it happens, he is one of the ones who says he's never owned a gold coin (though his autocorrect spelled it "good" instead of "gold". I understood the typo because my phone does that, too).

So guess, what, @Craigescape? Now you DO own a gold coin, even though it's only a tiny speck of one!
    So the remaining four winners will win the tiny bronze coins.

@rooman9's number came up, for Post #29.
    @fretboard's number came up, for Post #89.
    Last but not least, @Joshg1928's number came up, for Post #39.
    Congratulations, winners. I will do a group PM so I can get your addresses.

Giveaway-2018-04-winners.png

20. lordmarcovan

OK, so I forgot to bring the package with the gold coin in it to work with me, so as of yet, it remains unopened, and we don't know what it looks like yet. I'll try to get around to photographing it Tuesday. As you see, the drawing is done, now.

21. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Congrats to the winners!!!:happy::happy:

Thanks again for the great giveaways this month @lordmarcovan.!!!

Spark1951 and lordmarcovan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.