[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway, April, 2018

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Apr 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenny Sammut

Kenny Sammut Passionate Collector

Entry post

I began collecting about eight years ago when I was eight. My dad and I have been going to a local coin store every Friday for the past eight years. He is a coin collector but is more of a silver stacker. About five years ago, my day was away on a business trip so my mom brought me over to the coin store. I showed her the gold coins including some Saint-Gaudens and pointed out to her that the store was selling the coins for melt value but a few had some additional numismatic value too. I cannot remember the year but she was excited about the coin I suggested and she purchased it for me. I love going to the store with my dad but never complain when my mom takes me. I always remember to tell her to bring her check book.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Richard gladfelter

Richard gladfelter Well-Known Member

Entry Post

I'm a new collector and I don't own any gold coins yet,but that is something i wish to have one day. I started collecting to build a treasure for my son to find someday. But gold or not,it will still be a great time.

4. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Entry post

First gold coin was a 1929 $2.50 gold indian that I overpaid for. 'Nuff said....

PS - Congrats on being made a mod!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. santy

santy Member

Entry post

I’m new in a world of coin and I dont have any gold coin that’s why I don’t have story to say.if I win, that’s my 1st story for the gold coin.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. David Colquhoun

David Colquhoun Active Member

"entry post" hi ,my only gold coin I have is a victoria sovereign and my mum gave it to me when she was feeling guilty. 15246020571821215715124.jpg 1524602126551-632059786.jpg

lordmarcovan, bsshog40 and Beefer518 like this.
  7. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

Entry Post:

My first gold coin was the 2015 High Relief US Gold Coin.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. dwsmn

dwsmn Member

Entry Post.

I do not own a gold coin (would like to, though!).

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

IMG_3090.JPG

This is the finished product from my post #3. My first gold coin that is now mounted in a necklace to adorn my Mom's neck on Mothers Day.

10. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Entry Post:
    Here's one of my favorite gold coins that I like to show off! :D Just being honest! It's a 1997 Una and the Lion half sovereign from Gibraltar. Gibraltar are real pricey coins because of their low mintage numbers. My research in the world book, lists only 150 cameo proof half sovereigns minted, so it's a rare one. Also, I weighed this coin and it doesn't weigh the same as a half sovereign because it's 24k gold instead of 22k. The top 3 pics were the sellers, then mine and then I got it slabbed by ANACS. Good luck to all entries and Thx again for the contest LordM!! ;) $(KGrHqIOKpcE5k7N7jBDBOc!T-tpv!~~60_3.jpg $(KGrHqMOKiME5d-BywOtBOc!UE3qJQ~~60_3.jpg $(KGrHqMOKpQE5U-snNn7BOc!T+qCng~~60_3.jpg Tags 157.JPG Tags 158.JPG Tags 163.JPG Tags 167.JPG un1997goldlionrevtitled.png unt1997goldlionobvitled.png

lordmarcovan and bsshog40 like this.
  11. circoincol

circoincol New Member

entry post

Being a new member, this doubles as my first post lol

I have never owned a gold coin, but I have a gold ring and the dentist pulled out a tooth of mine that had a gold cap, and I still have it, so that's something.

bsshog40 and lordmarcovan like this.
  12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That's a sweet little coin! I didn't realize Gibraltar had issued an "Una & The Lion", but I guess that comes as no big surprise, considering how lovely the design is. And it's great to see in DCAM proof gold format, since the original 19th century pattern is so unobtainable to us mere mortals.

I might have to get me one o' those someday...

Welcome!

circoincol likes this.
  13. mcz0804a

mcz0804a Member

ENTRY POST

Unfortunately, I have never owned any gold coins. But, I love looking at them. Particularly the ancient coins, as coins were a completely different social tool in those times. I like browsing gold coins when I see them and imagining their sociological history. Where in the world they've been, what social class used them, any war history... I'd love to find a gold coin from the crusades, but I'm sure that's always going to be a dream. Being new, I don't plan on focusing on gold coins in my collection. But having a few just to be able to pass my wonderment on to my kids and Scouts would be awesome.

Thanks @lordmarcovan for the contest. It's fun to browse the stories.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. Imjustkk

Imjustkk Member

The jeweler did a great job Randy! I can’t wait to hear your moms reaction.

15. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Entry Post:
    I love gold coins but not just US gold coins, I like many other gold coins as well! I learned a huge lesson with the top coin in the pics. This is a 1992 Singapore 1/10th ounce gold coin which I sold at a small profit. Sometimes when you sell, you gotta have the money so regretfully you let some stuff go. The first 5 pics is the one I sold. In a nutshell, here's what happened. I sold the coin and not even 1 week passed and I realized it was a remorse sale and I was really terribly sorry I sold it. :inpain: I was out of my mind to get another one, the prices got crazy but I was determined! :banghead: It took 3 or 4 years or so and I finally bought the slabbed one below. Singapore 24k gold is really beautiful as it has a bit of a metal-flake look to it, it just looks shimmery. :D The 5th pic down looks like I took that one on a cell phone, maybe all on a cell but that 5th one really shows the shimmery look on it. ;) Anyways, lesson learned and I hope I am never in the position to ever sell my Singapore gold coin ever again!! :D TY again for the contest LordM and good luck to one and all!! :D GoldMonkey 001.jpg GoldMonkey 002.jpg GoldMonkey 005.jpg GoldMonkey 004.jpg GoldMonkey 035.jpg s-$167.25 l1600.jpg s$167.25-l1600.jpg s-l$167.25 1600.jpg s-l1$167.25 600.jpg

bsshog40 likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

That's a nice one. @Aethelred and I were discussing "monkey" coins recently, over on CoinTalk. He likes monkeys. I was unaware of this type.

17. lordmarcovan

Indeed! Nice gift! I gave my Mom an ancient Roman ring with a carved carnelian intaglio featuring a capricorn, since we share that zodiac symbol.

BTW, I just ordered the gold coin prize for this giveaway, so it should get here in just in time for the end-of-the-month drawing. I hope the example we get will have some trace of a design on it and isn't just a featureless little blob. As mentioned in the OP, it is definitely gonna be very tiny and crude. But hey... who's gonna turn their nose up at a gift of gold, right? :)

18. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Where did you order it from? Do they sell other ancient coins?

19. lordmarcovan

Yes, they have other ancient coins (many overpriced), but these little gold blobs are nice and cheap. And on sale, as of this post.

20. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. Those are some interesting gold coins weighing in at .75 grains.

21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Entry Post

I was at a small auction back in 1996 and this coin came up. I broke my own rules and made a bid on something I knew nothing about. I just fell in love with it's dirty look. Never had the money to collect gold but I won it. Also took home a proof Mercury and a really pretty Franklin that day. A small test tells me that acetone would remove the dirty look but I'll never do that.
    Image_1747.JPG Image_1751.JPG

dchjr and Randy Abercrombie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.