[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway, April, 2018

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Apr 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

Entry Post:
    My first gold coin is the 2005 $5 Eagle below. My wife knew I had always wanted a gold piece and she saved up enough to buy this from the mint to give to me for Christmas. She was soo proud and then shocked at how small it was! Lol It is a coin that I cherish and will always have in my collection. She lost her battle with cancer in 2008.
    Thanks for the chance!
    2005 Gold Eagle.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

A coin to always hold onto. Sounds like she was quite the woman.

bsshog40 likes this.
  4. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Entry Post

I have never owned a gold coin, but would love to add some to our collection.:happy:

Thanks for another great giveaway @lordmarcovan.

5. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Entry Post. Thanks @lordmarcovan
    My first gold coin was just a few years ago. 1/10 oz Eagle from a local coin shop at spot. It's what got me started collecting coins. Can't afford much of that, so it's mostly small denominational us coins now with a little silver thrown in. :)

6. MisterWD

MisterWD Active Member

ENTRY POST Never had a gold coin.
    Thanks Lord M and, once again I congratulate you on your eclectic collection; some of the most beautiful coins I've ever seen.

The only gold I ever owned was a Saint Christopher medal that The Catholic Church gave me when I was nine (1957). A few days after I got it I found a large thermometer with it's top broken off still full of mercury. Took it home, managed to get the mercury out. Mercury was kind of a rarity to us and we didn't know it was toxic. If we found some we'd play with it, sometimes coating dimes or quarters. This time I had no coins to coat. All I had was my Saint Christopher medal. 'Why not?', I thought. 'I can just wipe the mercury off later just like I do with a dime.' Oops. My gold medal absorbed the mercury. Soaked it up like a tissue absorbs water. And it wasn't all shiny and clean looking like a mercury coated dime. It was lusterless gray, it looked like lead. So that is why I have disliked and avoided mercury since long before we labeled it hazmat.

7. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

<entry post>

My first gold coin was a $2.5 U.S. Indian bought from a local CT'er.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Entry Post.
    I'll have to wait to tell you my story about a gold coin if I win this one.
    Otherwise, I've only seen them from the outside.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It's for you "never had a gold coin" folks that I put that one in.

Somebody is gonna get their first gold coin here. That's the plan.

Not a big one, nor a high-dollar one, but it'll be free, and will break new ground for somebody.

Nathan401, NLL, Wheels and 2 others like this.
  10. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Entry Post

My first gold coin is a Mexico dos pesos. I got it a couple years ago simply because I wanted a gold coin and it was small and relatively inexpensive.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Entry post. As always, thank you, Me Lord!

I never had a gold coin until I bought this dollar coin a few years ago. That’s a CAC gold sticker. Sorry, the reverse photo got away from me.

CDC07E5B-1644-43FA-AE4D-CB3ADE61AE67.jpeg

Nathan401, sonlarson and lordmarcovan like this.
  12. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

My first gold coin was a BU common date (1927 as I remember, but I'm no sure now) $20. I earned the $60 or so while a page in my states House of Representatives for two weeks back in 1961. I sold it when I was in college and thought I needed money.

Entry Post.

bsshog40 and lordmarcovan like this.
  13. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Entry Post.
    Got my first gold coin in 1977, actually, 2 gold 1 oz. Kruggerands, while I was in college, a gift from my brother. I was the first person on either side of our family to graduate from college. My 6-year stint in the Marines and earning the GI Bill benefit was the only reason I was able to get there in the first place. My wife and I practically starved until my first monthly check arrived the end of Sept. '76. But by that time I also had gotten part-time work while I attended my first classes.

A few years later I was forced to sell one of them to pay doctor bills when my younger son made his appearance in 1980. I still have the second one, it is and always will be a family heirloom, a reminder of the times of hardship and of the indomitable spirit we had to work hard to overcome them.

lordM, thanks for your generosity and the chance to contribute...Spark

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. Imjustkk

Imjustkk Member

Entry Post. I’ve never had a gold coin. I really like readying everyone’s first gold coin stories. Randy’s made me go all girl lol thank you for another contest. Also needing opinions on a gram scale the one I have isn’t reliable.

15. CraftPaperNinja

CraftPaperNinja New Member

Entry Post

I have never owned a gold coin. Sure would be nice, though! Thanks for the opportunity!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I just bought one of the ones on this page (the $12.99 one, I think), since my old one died recently. Haven't tried the new one much just yet, but it seems like it'll be fine.

Imjustkk likes this.
  17. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

You are a credit to our forum and our hobby, Rob.

I’m glad to know you.

Spark1951 and lordmarcovan like this.
  18. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

Entry Post:

This is my first contest entry here on CoinTalk, thanks to @lordmarcovan for putting it on.

I have never owned a Gold coin and would love to add one to my collection. The closest I've come are those gold colored Presidential dollars.

19. Cragarsomaha

Cragarsomaha New Member

Entry post
    Ive never owned a gold coin as of yet 1 day hopefully will own 1 or many Screenshot_2018-03-31-08-33-22.png nickel size of penny a penny stamped multiple times a penny with silver layer or ?

20. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Entry Post (non gold)

My first and only gold coin is from my father for a Christmas gift 3 years ago. It was the current years 1/10 gold eagle. I love it and never would sell it. The next gold coin i am going after is actually the one pictured in this reply
    That is one of my dream coins. I just have to find one I like with a price tag i can appriciate. I will be getting a second job in the summer so hopefully my large paychecks will entice me to spend a bit more. (I applied to be a bank teller, who knows maybe I'll get one at face value :) )

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Entry post!

No gold... yet:)

Thanks lordm!

lordmarcovan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.