[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway, April, 2018

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Apr 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

We can make Post #19 your entry post.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

It’s been edited.

4. lordmarcovan

OK, I see Post #18 is your entry post. That works. Doesn't matter which one, though I usually ask folks to make their initial post the entry post. As long as everyone gets just one chance in the drawing.

5. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Awesome giveaway, very generous as usual!! You're a good guy LordM. This is NOT an entry post. Good luck everyone!!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. Milesofwho

How much do the coins weigh?

7. lordmarcovan

Presuming you mean the little Sindh coppers (or whatever they are) I'll have to provide that info later.

8. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Entry post.

My first gold coin was an Austrian ducat I bought in Milwaukee in about 1966-67. I was visiting my long-distance girlfriend who had moved from my northern Minnesota small town. I didn’t pay much for it, have no idea how much I got for it when I had to sell it a few years later for college expenses.

It would be forty years before I owned another: a 1967 Canadian $20 in the presentation set. It was one of the few things in my father’s accumulation that I saved when I had to liquidate the estate after his death four years ago.

Thanks @lordmarcovan for the give-away. I appreciate your generosity and especially the terms of this giveaway!

Steve

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. Milesofwho

Ok!

10. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Entry post.

I've always always loved the design of the Indian quarter and $5 eagle. But it was always out of my price range and just something I'd fawn over at coin shows. Then one day I was able to buy a mismarked AU 1909 S Indian Cent for $40. I didn't really care for it but knew what it was. So I ended up selling it and putting the profits into a nice AU 1910 Indian $2.50 piece. Still love it to this day.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  11. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Entry post. The only gold coin i can remember is a half dollar filled with chocolate. Sad to say i was not a collector back then and ate it

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Stevearino, Wheels and lordmarcovan like this.
  12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Are you really digging that deep under the moon light to get those gold fillings.

13. shagbark acres

shagbark acres Supporter! Supporter

Entry Post. Cannot afford gold. Small time collector. Like how you run CT. Thanks for all the hard work.

Stevearino likes this.
  14. lordmarcovan

Thanks, you're in.

Thanks for the promotion, too, but I don't run CT. I'll leave that to the moderators and the mythical mysterious @Peter T Davis. ;)

Stevearino likes this.
  15. Clay Bowen

Clay Bowen HaveYouSeenTheWizard?

My first (and only) gold coin is pretty boring, and may not even count - it's a '98 Canadian Maple Leaf bullion "coin". I'm probably going to invest in some gold coins, not as part of my collection, but just investment properties. I'm still considering what I'll look to after I finish my little starter collection. I'm considering Trade Dollars - not just US, but China (Dragon Yuan), Japan, French Indochina, and Britain. I may add Mexican Pesos (as they're what started the whole thing)... or I may do something totally different :)

16. lordmarcovan

Bullion coins totally count.

17. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Entry post. I have never owned a gold coin but would some day like to own one. They are way too expensive for a kid to purchase! Thank you for the opportunity @lordmarcovan !

Stevearino likes this.
  18. lordmarcovan

@dougsmit- that's a great demonstration of how much difference lighting makes. I like the middle image best, though the one on the right is good, too. I take it these were shot the old-fashioned analog way, on film? I need to reread your old photography articles again. It's been a while.

19. Norman182

Norman182 Member

Entry post

As near as I get to a nice gold coin but tastes nice IMG_1539.JPG

dwhiz, Stevearino and lordmarcovan like this.
  20. Joshg1928

Joshg1928 Active Member

Entry post

I don’t have any gold coins yet. Well not exactly.

About 10 year ago. I was 15 and my father gave me a coin I thought was cool. He then tells me the story of what he calls the ‘racketeer’ nickel. I’m sure you all know that in 1883 the liberty nickels looked an awful lot like the $5 gold pieces. Since they didn’t have “5 cents” on the back they were popular to plate with gold and go buy a 5 cent cigar, not stating what you give the cashier, who would give you $4.95 in change. I think a mute man (want to say his name was also josh something or other) was arrested and exonerated of his crimes since he was unable to specify the denomination to the clerks.

So not truely a gold coin, but a cool bit of history.

21. martybox

martybox Member

"Entry Post"-I never owned a gold coin but my daughter-in-law's family is from India & I'd love to pass this on to her-thank you for your generosity

Stevearino and lordmarcovan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.