[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway #45 (pick your prize)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Oct 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

Entry Post

Here is a nice Cud covered date quarter I saw on Ebay. 111111.jpg 222222.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ChristopherCollectsCoin

ChristopherCollectsCoin Active Member

Entry Post

Out of all special edition quarters, the colored ones are the best.

20200829_101047.jpg

capthank and Penny Luster like this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

There ARE no colored ones, done by after-market companies to get your buck.

5. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Entry post. Thanks @lordmarcovan !

Here's one of my favorite acquisitions from his year. And here's the original thread in case anyone is interested to read the history behind this Roman emperor.

Marcian, Eastern Roman Empire

AV solidus
    Obv: D N MARCIA-NVS P F AVG, diademed, helmeted and cuirassed three-quarter facing bust, holding spear over shoulder and shield decorated with horseman
    Rev: VICTORI-A AVGGG, Victory standing left, holding long jeweled cross, star in right field
    Mint: Constantinople
    Mintmark: CONOB
    Date: 450-457 AD
    Ref: RIC 510
    Size: 4.46 gr., 21 mm wide

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  6. ChristopherCollectsCoin

ChristopherCollectsCoin Active Member

Its a more expensive process than plated coins. Thats why these are still better to me!

Kentucky likes this.
  7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Ok , I'm new here. What are we posting ?

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I had one of those Miletos/Miletus lions, once upon a time. Got it for a really nice price, too. Very cool little Archaic era coins. Very early. The stellate punchmarks they used on the reverse are cool, too.

6FD451ED-20D8-4385-A5FE-7B054BA2D638.jpeg

Kentucky and Penny Luster like this.
  9. lordmarcovan

Anything coin-related you want to post. See the introduction for the contest rules.

Welcome.

In short, you may post as many conversational replies as you like, but you may put the phrase “entry post” in only one of them. The post number of your entry post becomes your lucky number in the drawing, later.

10. lordmarcovan

That’s a very cool cud. It would have to be right over the date, wouldn’t it? LOL. Well, that just adds an aura of mystery to it. I assume that’s a clad and not a silver one?

11. lordmarcovan

That’s a super sweet solidus, @ValiantKnight!

My only one thus far was a Zeno, from the Eliasberg collection. Holed in antiquity, but with a very famous pedigree.

12. offa the saxon

offa the saxon Well-Known Member

One of my English civil war siege coins from pontefract

997A74DE-8358-4A2E-B0BD-EAD083B9EE82.jpeg

capthank and lordmarcovan like this.
  13. SensibleSal66

WOW ! Is that like a "Cob" ? I would like to know about this coin some more .

14. lordmarcovan

Technically cobs are from Spain and its dominions, but I would imagine those English Civil War siege coins were made with a similar, occasionally crude process.

They tend to be rather pricey!

15. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

I have one too but lost the Okla quarter. It is a pretty educational display

16. Moe "Wolfy" Wilder

Moe "Wolfy" Wilder Moe Wilder

Along with the standing lib quarter and walking lib $20gold. Absolutely!! I guess that's why their still using two of those designs on bullion peices 70 + years later.

17. SensibleSal66

Entry Post
    a few of my best finds Metal Detecting . Their old be Nice, lol . 1803 Largecent , small date,LARGE FRACTION. Next, 1787 CT. Copper. Lastly, 1892S Barber Quarter ! 1892S Barber 25c-obv.jpg 1892S Barber 50c-Rev.jpg 1787CT Copper - Copy.jpg 1787CTCopperOBV (2).jpg 1803 LC -Obv.jpg 1803 LC -Rev.jpg

Neal, Penny Luster, capthank and 3 others like this.
  18. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

entry post
    Nice auction find 1899 half eagle PCGS unc details shared sellers picture in new coins but have it in hand now :) F5E6EB1B-F37E-452D-8491-D43B654782C6.jpeg F24128C6-9BEB-4315-9722-8E595F875423.jpeg

paid less then what bullion dealer were selling generic ungrade cleaned ones. In hand the scratch on the eagle are not bad and the coin has nice luster

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  19. RoseWesche

RoseWesche Official "Crazy Cat Lady"

ENTRY POST

Sorry I don’t have any pictures but I recently came across a coin from Iceland and another from East Africa.

And I am in love with that 1881 s silver Morgan. That would be a highlight in my small but growing collection!

20. lordmarcovan

Rose- there isn’t an 1881-S dollar on my swapstock page at the moment (the page that is linked to from the introduction post here). Where did you see it?

There is a PCGS MS65 example in my personal Eclectic Box collection. Is that what you were looking at? That one is a $130-ish coin at retail. I paid $100 for it. I was thinking of putting it on the swapstock page, but it won’t be an eligible prize for the $25 credit offered in this giveaway.

That $25 sum wouldn’t buy most Morgan dollars, but it would get you close on a lower grade one. I do hope to add some less expensive Morgans to the swapstock page eventually.

if you win the drawing, I will see what I can do about getting you a Morgan dollar, but it won’t be a slabbed MS65 example. Those don’t come cheap! ;)

Penny Luster, capthank and Kentucky like this.
  21. lordmarcovan

This post (#60) is the entry post for DeutscherGeist on Collectors Universe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.