[CLOSED] LordM CoinTalk Giveaway #43 (pick your prize)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Sep 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It works for me. It's coin-related content. You're good, @vintage_copper.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

This post (#62) is the entry post for Treashunt on Collectors Universe.

4. lordmarcovan

This post (#63) is the entry post for Kliao on Collectors Universe.

5. ArbySea

ArbySea Well-Known Member

Entry Post

I have always enjoyed reading (just about anything), and now that I have retired I find that I am reading even more. I snagged a bunch of used books recently and wound up reading a rather unusual novel (one of Kadrey’s Sandman Slim series which has been labelled as urban fantasy/ supernatural/ noir). It had a coin reference which caught me by surprise and made me laugh. I don’t often find numismatic material in “popular” novels. This is just about the quote itself; I am neither recommending the book to you (although I am going to keep my eyes open for other books in the series) or endorsing the statement about the quality of our educational system :) :

<looking at a pile of weapons he had amassed over time> “...My favorite is a silver stake made by wannabe high school vampire slayer. She made it by sharpening a flat-head screwdriver and dipping it in a pot of melted dimes. The perfect weapon against shroud eaters. Only the little idiot didn’t know that modern dimes are mostly copper covered in nickel. All she did was ruin a perfectly good screwdriver and prove that L.A. schools truly suck.”(Richard Kadrey, Aloha from Hell, p.208)

P.S. LordM, I for one appreciate the new rules as well as your continued willingness to offer these giveaways. Thanks.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Entry Post

Cherrypicked some coins and got some great deals... One was a 1887 Indian in VF-XF for $1.75

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

Giveaway #44 has come and gone, and was the fastest LordM giveaway yet, at all of 18 minutes long. I wanted to try a "speed round" (instant giveaway). It was all done in a flash, but still fun. Might do another sometime.

8. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Entry Post

This is my most recent coin purchase. Yemen 1954 Ahmadi Riyal supposedly struck over a Maria Theresa Thaler. I have only seen photos at this point.

Yem195405.jpg

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. steve westermeier

steve westermeier Cancer sucks!

Entry Post..... I've got my eye on the silver Washington quarter, 1956, ANACS MS65

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

Entry Post - This is great fun, Lord Marcovan, so very appreciated. I bought this Alfa to see if there were any old coins in it. (none yet).

lordmarcovan likes this.
  11. ChristopherCollectsCoin

ChristopherCollectsCoin Active Member

Entry Post

20191215_203719.jpg 20191215_203707.jpg

1913-S Type II found in a pile of cud/dateless buffalo nickels.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

Entry post. Nothing much happening coinwise in my life so I'll post this picture of a proof shilling ruined by storing it in a mylar flip. I hate those things. :(

1950 proof Scottish shilling (mylar) (3).jpg

lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

Entry post!
    This was a freebie extra Barber that was given to me in some Mercury dime purchase.. IMG_20200919_055535.jpg As far as choosing a prize if I were to win, I guess I would see what my coin flavor of the time is?? It changes just like the weather!

lordmarcovan and Penny Luster like this.
  14. lordmarcovan

This post (#73) is the entry post for ShaunBC5 on Collectors Universe.

15. lordmarcovan

It is possible that haze could be dipped off. We use a product called EZ-Est (or Jeweluster) here in the States. I'm sure you Brits have something similar.

16. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely convinced, although I'd not rule it out. It's not silver. I don't think you'd ever get near the original proof finish. Fortunately this was a cheap mistake but I'll never use a mylar flip again for anything. :(

It wasn't the only one that was ruined:

1950 proof halfpenny (mylar) (3).jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Penny Luster likes this.
  17. Penny Luster

Penny Luster Well-Known Member

That's too bad. Dip might make a big difference but it's your coin your call.

18. dano

dano Junior Member

Entry Post.
    Pic below of a 1936 Mercury dime found in a Coinstar reject chute the other day. It still amazes me that i can find 75+ year old SILVER coinage with the regularity that I do!

1936 MERCURY.jpg

lordmarcovan and Penny Luster like this.
  19. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Entry Post
    This is the oldest coin I own. I actually got it about a year ago from winning one of your giveaways! Thank you @AdamsCollection and LM! 85A7F178-E09C-4AE1-9DE7-75E2362E5647.jpeg

20. lordmarcovan

I remember that. It was part of a 4-coin lot that @AdamsCollection donated, wasn't it? That was generous of him.

21. AdamsCollection

AdamsCollection Well-Known Member

<3

lordmarcovan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.