Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Mar 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Wonderful collection. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    PS - You should get a coin box that can expand. LOL

lordmarcovan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

So refreshing to see your new box. Still loving that Switzerland "city view", Persian gold, but my new favorite is the Great Britain silver groat I can't get over how great the portrait is) wow. So 48 coins ? I thought you were limiting yourself to a box of 20 ? There is no way I could limit myself to just 48 coins. lol I guess if you included my top 10-20 hmmmm. I think my collection is up to around 1,000 coins now ? Thanks for sharing.

Paddy54 and lordmarcovan like this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Lovely. Let me ask, though, how did you sell the ones you sold?

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Regardless of the additions or subtractions, I'm never disappointed with the membership! :happy::singing: Again, glad to see you've kept the box expanded! :);)

lordmarcovan and Kentucky like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

He was a famous coin collector himself, for one thing! :)

Yep, it's a very common type, despite the low PCGS pops. I knew that going in. But that's what kept the price down and offered me the opportunity to have that piece for a little under a hundred bucks. Had it been a scarcer variety, I would not have been able to afford such a nice example. I saw this one and felt I had to have it.

Actually, I just got a couple of nice albums to house the collection in when it's not in safe deposit, and came up with a whole new display system for those. Still working on that, though, so the pictures of the albums did not make it into this update.

KSorbo and LaCointessa like this.
  7. Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle Likes The Feel of Money

Lord "M", as a new collector I am wondering, is that really a box of coins rubbing against one another without concern on your part ?

No flips to protect ? Just not worth protecting ?

LaCointessa and lordmarcovan like this.
  8. lordmarcovan

The self-imposed "Box of 20" limit went out the window in mid-2016, as I mentioned in the introduction. I've been gradually letting the collection grow ever since, and it is soon to be a "Box of 50+".

As of today, it just became a "Box of 49", since the addition of a US-Philippine piece I agreed to buy this morning, right after I posted this update thread. (I'll edit to squeeze that last-minute addition in here when I have the pix ready.)

The Reigate Hoard medieval English groat came from @Paddy54, who has been very gracious in our dealings. From him I also got that Spanish Mexico cob from the 1682 Johanna shipwreck. I love coins with fascinating individual stories to tell. (Who doesn't, right?)

LaCointessa and Paddy54 like this.
  9. lordmarcovan

The coins are in third-party certification slabs and kept in an Intercept Shield box when in safe deposit and Lighthouse slab albums when on display.

The picture you see in the introduction is a fantasy montage created by @Deacon Ray, who is a graphics wizard. He used pictures of the coins from the collection. They're not to scale or anything. The fact that you'd mistake it for an actual group photo is testament to his skill and creativity!

Here is an image of some the collection in the slabs, as they actually look in a pile. (Image from a few updates ago.)

20181116_035513.jpg

10. lordmarcovan

On the Collectors Universe Buy/Sell/Trade forums and the For Sale forum here. I put pricetags on everything in the CollectiveCoin gallery (that site offers you the option to do that), and then I linked to the CollectiveCoin gallery from both the Collectors Universe and CoinTalk B/S/T listings.

Then, when I was done (met my sales goal in a matter of hours!), I took the pricetags back off the remaining stuff in the CollectiveCoin gallery.

Kentucky likes this.
  11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

It was a pleasure dealing with Rob!
    I do believe we both benefited from our dealings.
    The Groat is a fantistic coin in hand...when I purchased it I knew it was a top of the mark coin with great eye appeal,and history!
    The 8 Reale has been a part of the Paddy hoard for some time now.
    That one has many stories including how it made its way to me years ago.
    Both coins are always welcome back should they ever be up for sale again.
    However like Rob...I too need to free up some holdings to obtain some hard to find h 10s.
    It gave me great joy to acquire both of these hammered coins, I hope they bring you the same Rob .
    What I always like to believe is for a very short time in history they ,and myself became a point on a time line that I will fall off ,but they will continue until time is no more. Thanks Rob

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. Paddy54

Noah Finney and lordmarcovan like this.
  13. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I'm occasionally inspired by something so amazing, beautiful, or moving, that it's beyond description. I guess that's why I enjoyed doing a visual fantasy graphic of Lord Marc's Eclectic Box. I had never before had the privilege of knowing a collector with such an eye for beauty and with the self discipline needed to be able to part with amazingly beautiful and historic coins to make way for more amazingly beautiful and historically significant coins.

14. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I also thoroughly enjoyed @lordmarcovan 's exhibition. I also thoroughly enjoyed seeing an awesome friend from the past return to the Forum.

LaCointessa, Paddy54 and lordmarcovan like this.
  15. markr

markr Active Member

LordM: I just showed your collection to my daughter, who is ... shall we say, not enthralled by coins. But she really thought what you have is cool. I disagree with her--I think it is extremely cool. I bet it would make for a nice little story (or, better and I think easily achievable, a nice few stories) to be published somewhere. You know, somewhere like the Numismatist. :) !! Seriously, what a very nice selection of coins.

16. lordmarcovan

Oh, no! There's that nagging guilt again! Funny, just this morning I was thinking, "Man, I still haven't submitted any articles to The Numismatist like I promised Mark! But there are so many projects to distract me..."

Mea culpa. ;)

So despite extreme procrastination, I have not forgotten. I think the Vesta McCurry story, properly cleaned up and formatted for narrative flow, might be a good one to start with. But obviously I still haven't done that. :sorry:

17. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

spirityoda and lordmarcovan like this.
  18. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

That's why!!! I just knew it! I almost messaged @lordmarcovan to ask him if I could put THAT image on my other computer as a screensaver - Ohhhhh It's beautiful. I spent some long minutes gazing at it. Figures you did that @Deacon Ray !

So @lordmarcovan, may I please use the image on my other computer as a screensaver? Pulleeeeese?

lordmarcovan, Deacon Ray and Paddy54 like this.
  19. LaCointessa

I did not know that King Farouk was a coin collector. Live and learn!! :)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. Paddy54

But guess what?......he was a clean freak....and shined the hell out of all his holdings. Now consider this was the 1930's-40's and that may had been accepted durring that time...but yeah he wanted his coins to gleem!

lordmarcovan and LaCointessa like this.
  21. LaCointessa

That just may have been a thing back then. My step grandfather told me that he worked in a NYC hotel where ball players (baseball) stayed and apart from organizing their liquor (it was during prohibition) and 'girls' (nothing further necessary here) he also was in charge of taking all their money, change and bills, and actually having it laundered for them so that when they went out on the town, they had sparkling clean change and fresh washed and pressed paper money.

lordmarcovan and Paddy54 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.