Lord Marcovan's "Eclectic Box" collection (editing workshop/construction thread)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Mar 15, 2018.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Sorry I'm so wordy. Yeesh. Proofreading myself gives me a headache, so I can't imagine what it does to y'all. I guess most of you just skim past the blah-blah-blah to the pictures, huh. If so, I can't blame you for that. I confess I'm often a similar sort of light reader myself.

But some of you obviously do take the time to read my verbose commentary, and to you I am the most grateful.

The poll this time was a bit of a lark. I've thought about doing one for a while.

Must say I'm quite surprised by the number of "10" votes. I only voted "9" myself (obviously biased, but aware that the collection will never be perfect).

I was not surprised by the "1" vote. I (or my coins) often pick up a few such less-impressed opinions along the way. Can't please everyone all of the time, right?

Hopefully seeing this stuff will give some of you ideas or inspirations for your own collecting, but I must say that your commentary on these threads has also been a major influence on me as well.

Curtisimo likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AnonymousCoinCollector

AnonymousCoinCollector Reintroduce silver coins to circulation!

Trying to guess which is the one coin that exceeds four figures.... is it one of the gold ones?

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Dude i like all your coine and witt. Ill read on. Just saying. To be continued

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

Yes. :)

But not because of bullion value.

PS- I should add that a few (very few) of the coins here became worth over $1K once I got them into the present plastic.

But only one cost me four figures. (Over $2K, in fact.)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Curtisimo likes this.
  6. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

I'm Parthicus, and I approve this message. ;)

You've definitely got a nice collection. I have to give you props for the discipline to limit yourself to such a small set. Shame about having to lose the Seljuk piece, though- it is a wonderful type, and I have no idea why they won't certify it.

Curtisimo and lordmarcovan like this.
  7. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Nice eclec-tion, I like the '13 Buff, but the Owl is probably my favorite coin here. The peacock is up there as well.

I had to cheat to find the most valuable coin.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

I voted "9" like you, for the same reason (you always need room at the top). I propose that the "1" voter is dyslexic ;)!

9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@lordmarcovan , I gave up hitting like on all the posts. I'll just say, you have a great eye and I really like them all.

I also enjoy the "buy whatever catches my fancy". While I'd want to finish my Peace Dollar set and my Type coin set, I too buy coins that catch my fancy. Lately, medals have been interesting to me. Here's one example.

The scratch on the reverse picture is actually on the holder.

Here's another I recently picked up.

Curtisimo, Garlicus and lordmarcovan like this.
  10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

lordmarcovan likes this.
  11. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

To answer your poll question, I find it very appealing. I gave it an 8, and if not for the ancients, it would've scored even higher. Nothing against ancients, mind you, but it's a category I know almost nothing about, so the wow factor of those ancients doesn't register with me the way it may for others.

What I really like about the Box of 20, however, is the concept of keeping it small and not filling holes just for the sake of filling holes.

I've been collecting coins ever since 1969 (not counting a few years off for college and getting my career started) and somehow after almost 50 years I've still managed to keep my total inventory at around 300 coins.

After a few Whitman folders as a kid, I realized I had no interest in date and mint mark series, and that's certainly helped keep the volume in check. Beyond that, I just like the intimacy (for want of a better word) of a collection I can inventory in my head, not just in a spreadsheet on my computer. I've never said to myself, "Gee, I forgot I had that coin!" and probably no more than two weeks ever go by with my viewing every coin I own.

I realize 300-ish coins is far cry from 30-ish, but every time I see your collection it kind of reinforces the direction I've pursued with mine. And for that, sir, I thank you!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

Yeah, it's a bummer the TPGs don't seem to like the Seljuk. Wouldn't you know, a really amazing one just showed up in the latest CNG Auction. And I was pretty fond of mine. But... live by the slab, die by the slab.

I still think this is nonsense. 0 for 3 on my last NGC attempt! They put a Friedberg number on the Gelderland label, so they obviously knew what this stuff was!

0for3.jpg

But I digress.

Oh, yes, your Parthian coins have not escaped my notice! ;)

Perhaps I will solicit your advice on such a thing when a suitable example shows up on my radar screen. Who knows what or when that will be, with my ever-fluctuating cashflow situation.

"Eclection" is a fine word. I'm very, very fond of that little Owl as well, and with it in hand, I don't even feel the immediate urge to get one of the famous Athenian ones. That Taras, Calabrian one is in my top five for sentimental favorites.

The Buffalo is a fairly recent addition, and I knew I had to have it when I saw the colors. Thanks.

Those are fantastic. How big? Normally I'd gravitate to the 17th century Sun King piece (and it's wonderful), but the Victoria is actually what grabs me here. Obviously you have a discerning eye.

Medals have increasingly turned my head these last few years. Note the relatively recent addition of that octagonal French jeton I just sent off to PCGS. I parted with a stunning Louis XV jeton last year, back when I was still maintaining the "Box of 20" limit. Feeling a bit of seller's remorse on that one now, but I knew it was one I could sell quickly and make a modest profit on at the time. There was actually a short waiting list on Collectors Universe of people who wanted it!

Interesting that you numbered them like that. I wonder if I should start doing that in these threads. Never really thought about it. Hmm.

If I had a bigger budget, maybe I'd be at 300-ish like yourself. It sounds like you've taken a disciplined approach. I have not, always. For the most part, I do not regret the "Great Purge" I did in 2013, which started this project. "Quality over quantity" is a sound philosophy, if sometimes challenging to stick to. I totally understand your "inventory in my head" preference, and I think "intimacy" is a good word to describe it. By staying intimate with my smaller collection, I'm able to keep it all reasonably organized in my mind.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Curtisimo likes this.
  13. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

'Ineligible' is better than 'not authentic'. Maybe another TPG slabs these. ANACS?

14. lordmarcovan

I thought about that. Eh, oh well- too late. I sold all three of those coins.

Who knew PCGS was gonna straight-grade and upgrade the Gelderland florin the next time around? Not me, obviously, or I wouldn't have sold it. :shifty:

I'm pretty much done using NGC for anything but ancients. Had already kind of reached that point already, for other reasons of personal preference (which have little to do with their grading).

15. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Ha ha! I assure you, it's not about a bigger budget. I avoid the rare and exotic and focus instead on more common varieties that I find interesting. But by keeping the collection small, I can usually afford very nice examples of those common coins without ever having to ask myself, "Can I afford this?" That's the way I like this hobby: relaxed and low key.

Stork likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

This just in.

My first real update post of the (relatively-) new sideline collection.

Click on the banner to check it out. :)

[​IMG]

17. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Sorry about your luck with the Florin, it's in a good home now if that's consolation :D

I don't get the ineligible types from NGC. Like you said they obviously knew exactly what the coins were, why would they be "ineligible"? Is it an authentication worry for them with those date ranges?

lordmarcovan likes this.
  18. Simple ole tor

Simple ole tor New Member

Marcovan, nice job, love your posts...it’s more about the hunt and learning than about what you actually have...always seem to learn or see something different when u post.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

20. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

Great collection there, Lord M!

21. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

love the collection LordM! Any new updates?

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted