Looking for the best book

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Andy, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Hi. I am interested in two books on coin collecting. The first would be on European Gold from the late 1700's to 1914 time era give or take some years and the second would be on New Spain/Mexican Gold Coins also from the same time period. I saw some listings on line but I respect the views of many who use this forum and wish their input before making a purchase.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Andy - what exactly is it you want to know ? Are you looking for a catalog like Krause or what ?

4. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Thanks for responding GD. I am looking for a book that has gold coins from 1801 to 1900 and is heavily illustrated with photos for identification with most photos actual size and provides a comprehensive listing of each coin in up to at least four grades of condition. I saw "The fourth edition Standard Catalog of World Coins 1801-1900 on line stating that, however, I am really only interested in gold coins. So I was looking at the "Fourth Edition Standard Catalog of World Gold Coins From 1601 to Present" by Chester, Krause,etc. I found the two above mentioned books off of Peter Davis' The Numismatic Reading Room website and was wondering if there are any other recommenations out there and if the second book also has scale sized pictures of the coins with grade examples shown.

5. GDJMSP

To the best of my knowledge none of the books of the type you mention have grade examples. They show only 1 pic and none of them have pics of every coin.

The book I would recommend is by Friedberg - Gold Coins of the World Ancient Times to the Present. It is a much more comprehensive book than Krause's version.

6. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Thanks, I'll order it tonight. I would also like to take this opportuntity to thank you for all of your advice and kidding around for the last year or so. I usually look for your posts to read even if it is not a topic that I would post to.

7. GDJMSP

No it's I who must thank you Andy. You and all the other members of Coin Talk. I have spent many,many pleasurable hours because of the folks who frequent this corner of the internet :)

Draft saved Draft deleted