Little boy on Spanish coin is the king

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Collect89, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

The little boy on this coin is Alfonso XIII. His full name is Alfonso León Fernando María Jaime Isidro Pascual Antonio de Borbón y Austria-Lorena. As you can see, they put “Alfonso XIII” on the coin. This kid’s father was the king of Spain. His father the king died before he was born so the kid was proclaimed King of Spain when he was born. (This kind of stuff happens to a lot of people when they are born). His mom was appointed regent during his early years and Alfonso XIII assumed control at the age of 16. He reigned as king from 1886 to 1931. You will find Alfonso XIII on Spanish coins in various states of maturity. This 1892 Two Pesetas depicts him as a little boy king of Spain. I added this coin to my collection yesterday.

If you have other Alfonso XIII coins or maybe other coins depicting young kings, please post them.

Thanks for letting me share.
    Very best regards,
    collect89

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kvarterto

kvarterto Senior Member

:yawn:

I feel sorry for the Mother-Queen when little Alfonso León Fernando María Jaime Isidro Pascual Antonio de Borbón y Austria-Lorena had been a naughty boy:p

4. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I don't collect Spanish coins, but know enough to know that Alfonso's coinage in condition such as yours is quite scarce. Nice coin!

5. bart

bart Senior Member

I really like the Alfonso XIII-series. His mother used coins as a mean to present her son to the nation. I only recently acquired this 50 centimos of 1910.

Attached Files:

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

These used to be some of my favorites -

Attached Files:

7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Who is the kid on the 1650 dated coins?

8. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

I believe it is Louis XIV.

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I need a language lesson.
    LVD . XIIII ???
    Is that Louis XIV ?

10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

hoard coin

Here is another Alfonso. Sorry they are not the best photos.

Attached Files:

11. bart

bart Senior Member

It is indeed: legends are in Latin : LVD(ovicus) XIIII D(ei) G(ratia) FR(anciae) ET NAV(arrae) REX = Louis XIV, by the grace of God king of France and Navarra.

By the way: the coins you show are real beauties!

12. georgiansilver

georgiansilver Senior Member

My contribution to this thread seems to have suffered a small light interference but it is in good condition apart from a little staining...... Odd sort of "Baby King" pic . Best wishes, Mike.

Attached Files:

13. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

I've always liked this coin design. I've considered buying one in gold on several occassions, just never found one in the right grade vs. price range yet.

14. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

here he is a little bit older than the infant coin:

[​IMG]

15. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

here is a pair of ancient child portraits of future emperors Caracalla and Geta from my collection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ericl

ericl Senior Member

"Woe to the nation that has a child as king!"

Louis XIV's mother had to win a civil war (the FROND), and Louis XV's entire immediate family had died of smallpox a couple of years before (except for his great-grandfather, his uncle, who was King of Spain, and an a couple of distant cousins).

Edward VI of England, ordered the Regent's execution at the age of 12, and aged William IV willed himself to live long enough so Princess Victoria could rule without the interference of her evil mother.

17. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Hello Silvereagle82,

There is a Spain 20 P 1896 (62) ALFONSO XIII NGC-MS62 gold coin listed on Ebay & here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spain-20-P-1896-62-ALFONSO-XIII-NGC-MS62-gold-coin_W0QQitemZ250438574747QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a4f4d629b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A2096%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A4%7C294%3A50#ebayphotohosting

It closes in about 3-hours. I'm not going to bid on it.

Very best regards,
    collect89

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Back then, they did not use IV to mean 4, they used IIII to mean 4.

19. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I learn much here at CT. This red one was purchased recently but I had not physically put it in the collection until today.

Thanks to everyone for their posts & photos!

Very best regards,
    collect89

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted