Lighthouse coin albums... any comments?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Mike Willner, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Mike Willner

Mike Willner Member

We just got back to Paris where, with some steering from my friends here on CoinTalk, my son and I spent a few happy afternoons browsing up and down rue Vivienne and rue Richelieu. We picked up some nice 5 mark coins and a 1868 5 france in TTB for a bargain, a neat book on the French franc, and a nascent interest in collection Napoleonic era French coins.

I also picked up a coin album from Lighthouse to store my world coin collection. It is a ring binder where the coins are inserted into pockets in a strip that in turn is slid into slots on the page... hard to describe but if you're interested see http://www.leuchtturm.com/

Anyway, I wondered if anyone here has any experience using these albums. They look great, but it seems you slip the coin directly into the pockets. I'm wondering if the plastic is PVC safe. I'm also wondering how I would maintain the information about the coins, such as condition and source? On a separate printed sheet behind the coin sheet?

Thanks for any input or comments, and thanks very much again to those who provided info on coins in Paris.

Mike

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HistoricCoinage

HistoricCoinage Junior Member

I use them and sell them and they seem fine, http://historiccoinage.com/supplies.aspx

The Lighthouse website states: "They protect your coin from all environmantal influences." So I'm not sure about the PVC.

Clive.

4. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

I use them quite a bit and have never had any problem with them, they are a very well established company that sells worldwide and have a reputation to uphold. As for keeping track now that is open to debate as I tend to group my coins by country then by face value leaving spaces for those that I require with a little slip of paper in the insert saying what is needed LOL

5. Mike Willner

Mike Willner Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I will try having a index sheet for each sheet of coins with the necessary info.

Also, I noticed that you can mix and match, so I can keep coins of the same country but of different sizes on the same page (or pages0 i.e. I can have one page with a slip of German Empire1/2 marks, a slip of 1 Marks, and a slip of 3 marks.

Draft saved Draft deleted