Library of Coins albums

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coleguy, Oct 25, 2008.

1. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I've bought a few old Library of Coins albums from the 1950's. They are all in extremely great shape. My question is, are there any long term effects from storing coins in these albums? They are of the dual sided sliding plastic variety like today's Dansco albums. Any advise would be appreciated.
    Guy~

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I have quite a few of them. In fact it is my favorite style album. I have Lincoln cents #2 and #3. #1 was for IHC.
    I have a pretty good number of Barber dimes in one and no problems. I have a very nice set of AU/BU Mercury dimes missing only the 16-D. It was a partial set of Bu dimes I bought already in the Library of Coins album. Now some of the ones I thought were bright white when I put them in the LOC album have lightly toned. I could be mistaken on this because it is in a safe deposit box. I only see them 3 or 4 times a year.
    I also recently picked up a Library of coins album for Roosevelt dimes and will be transferring a complete silver set into that.
    Other than the Mercs the rest of the albums contain circulated coins and they have not toned. If you are planning on putting bright white silver coins or brilliant red cents into an old LOC album I'd watch for toning if you don't like toned material. But if you are using the album for circulated coins I wouldn't worry about it at all.
    I can't believe I paid only $1 for my Barber dime album in excellent condition. The two Lincoln cent albums were $7 each. The Roosevelt dime album was also about $1 but it has some light coffee stains. That yellow paper they used for the pages gets stained or damaged easily. It also picks up black specs, dust particles, dirt and other annoying marks.

4. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

The coins are circulated that I plan on placing in the albums. The coin shop I buy them at puts them aside for me and sells them for 2$ each. They are for the most part in brand new condition, except the binding on the spines are fraying, but thats expected with 60 year old albums. I really like the classic look of them. Thanks for the answer.
    Guy~

5. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I think you are getting a deal on them. Look on ebay for what they are selling for. A local flea market has some but he wants $10 each.
    I do want to get one for Franklin halfs with the blue cover.
    Also the Barber halfs have a two album set with blue covers.
    I like the brown covers the best. I have seen green covers too.

6. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

I'd be concerned about the material they are made from. I know they've learned that certain materials will eventually cause damage to coins (PVC damage, etc...) so maybe one of our experts will pipe-up and fill us in on this. :bow:

Ribbit :)

7. Haleiwa

Haleiwa New Member

In my opinion, Any coin of real personal value or of high neumismatic value should be put in a weather tight holder. I'd feel sick if my 1895 d proof Morgan got handled improperly by someone

8. thetracer

thetracer Active Member

Because of the age, I am sure these would be quicker NT than either Whitman or Dansco albums. Like others have said the binding material and pages have deteriorated. I bet some of our existing toned pieces had/ve been stored in them.

9. Captain Sully

Captain Sully Active Member

Your note is very interesting. One thing I noted is the Safety deposit box. Good idea? I have been told by several financial advisors, that if you pass quickly, The box is locked until you probate the will. Don't know, but I have placed items in a place that passes outside the will if you don't want the dreaded Death Tax to pee on your grave.

Draft saved Draft deleted