Lets see some misgraded (in your opinion) coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by sweet wheatz, Aug 18, 2009.

1. sweet wheatz

sweet wheatz Senior Member

We have all heard complants about grading services and I would like you to post some pics of those coins that were misgraded.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

I just posted some in the MS65BN thread, so you can view some of the cwts I posted there. Care to offer an opinion on these before I post the grades? Then we will see if you think they are overgraded also. The following are a mix of circs and MS graded tokens.

Attached Files:

4. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Well I had one that I thought was undergraded, two actually, but both have been sold :)

5. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

A couple of more.

Attached Files:

6. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

more

Attached Files:

7. The Penny Lady®

The Penny Lady® Coin Dealer

I will be sending this one in for (hopefully) upgrade to PCGS when I'm at Long Beach since I think this should be MS65 - it is flawless, spotless, well struck, and just beautiful - I can't see why it wasn't graded higher in the first place. What do you all think?

NOTE: no matter where I upload my photos from (my computer, my website, Todd's website, Photobucket), they still come out as thumbnails - how very frustrating! So you'll just have to click on it to see a larger view - so sorry!

Attached Files:

8. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

Last ones for now, but I have more if you want to try your skills on some additional ones.

Attached Files:

9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

UNDERGRADED

This coin is an MS67 on a good day and a PQ MS66 on a bad day. I really don't know what they were thinking when they graded it.

[​IMG]

OVERGRADED

I have no idea how this coin ended up in an MS66 holder. Personally, I give it MS64, maybe.

[​IMG]

PREMIUM GEM--I THINK NOT

[​IMG]

:smile

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I think it's graded correctly. The reverse is what limits the coin IMO. There are some minor hits on the obv and some rim chatter but overall the obv is pretty clean. The rev however is not. Several small hits in the letters but what keeps it a 64, IMO, is the gouge to the left of the left wheat stalk.

Disagree, the hits on the reverse, while not terribly bad, limit the grade to 65. I think it is graded correctly.

You'll get no disagreement from me on those 2, both definitely over-graded.

11. GDJMSP

cwt - I wouldn't know where to begin on those tokens. I might be able to say unc or circ but that's about it.

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Doug:
    On that 1945 D Jeff, where do you see reverse hits?

agreed!
    CWT's are tough, since you have to know the strike for many different dies.

13. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

MS65 SEEMS VALID. How did you find this cent? It is so rare and in this grade it is double rare(rarer). Thumbnails are just fine. They work for me. zeke

14. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Doug,

If you apply your standards, then yes, maybe it is an MS65. If you apply PCGS's standards, it might also be a 65. But if you apply NGC's standards for this series, it is an MS66 minimum.

15. The Penny Lady®

Doug, I have no idea what you are seeing as marks or chatter on this coin and rim, other than the mark by the reverse rim - but I don't think that mark should have held it back that much. I'm thinking what you must be seeing is from the plastic slab, because they are not on the coin itself.

16. GDJMSP

See as marked, the arrows point to small & medium hits on the rim.

Attached Files:

17. GDJMSP

OK, all I did to your pic was crop it and brighten it a bit. But IMO that mark by the wheat is enough to keep the coin from 65. (see 1st pic)

The other stuff I see would not stop it from being 65 in a million years, but I do believe it is there on the coin. (see other pics, I did brighten a couple but the others I left alone)

Attached Files:

18. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

Sorry I don't have the pic, but I bought a 1970 PCGS Proof 68 DCam kennedy half that had so much haze in the fields that it looked terrible! I paid about $20 for it and ended up selling it for bullion. Live and learn....

19. The Penny Lady®

Doug, though admirable, I agree with Lehigh and think your standards are a bit high as compared with today's standards and that of TPG's. Other than the reverse rim mark, the other things you point out are so minute and barely visible, and I think with this coin's other attributes, this coin still has a good shot at MS65, but I will let you know after I get it back.

20. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

I consider bodybagging a strong F-12 coin for "damage", with no serious problems visible, to be a form of misgrading.

[​IMG]

This small rim bump, which seems to be the only damage, is hard to see in hand and took several lighting tries to show up in a picture.
    [​IMG]

But even though it isn't visible on the other side,
    [​IMG]

Here's the TPG verdict.

21. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

Apologies for the delay in getting back with the grades. I couldn't sign into the site for some reason until today. No brave souls I see, but I will post the grades anyway. GDJMSP, I would have liked to have seen your opinions, even if only circ or unc. Maybe you could let me know how you would have faired. Grades to follow.

Draft saved Draft deleted