***LEARNING About Matte Proof Lincolns***

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by The Penny Lady®, Aug 23, 2009.

1. The Penny Lady®

The Penny Lady® Coin Dealer

There is a lot of helpful information out there on Matte Proof Lincolns, so I thought I'd post some of it here, along with the sources where I found the information so you could read more if you desired. I'm hoping this information will help those interested in this series get started in LEARNING more about MPL's.

First, the definition of MPL is "an experimental proof strike that has a textured sandblast appearance. These were produced from 1907 to 1916 and had less reflectivity than the business strikes. "

[FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica]"The 1909 VDB Matte Proof Lincoln cent boasts one of the lowest survival rates of any proof or business strike Lincoln cent produced from 1909 to date. The delicate and stimulating matte finish, along with the scarcity of Matte Proof Lincoln cents has captured the imagination of both experienced and new collectors. For years, the 1909 VDB Matte Proof Lincoln cents were one of the most underrated and unappreciated series in the U.S. coin market. Today, they comprise one of the most explosive and irresistible items in a series that has really begun to take off. [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]" Jaime Hernandez - June 8, 2009 http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article_view.chtml?artid=5746

In my experience with MPL's, I agree that Matte Proof Lincolns have taken off in recent years and have become very popular. I believe their popularity is due in part because they are so uniquely struck and each individual year has an amazingly low mintage:

1909 vdb - 1,194*
    1909 - 2,618
    1910 - 4,083
    1911 - 2,411
    1912 - 2,372
    1913 - 2,983
    1914 - 1,365
    1915 - 1,150
    1916 - 600*

*As most know, even though the 1916 shows a much lower mintage than the 1909 vdb, for various reasons the 1909 vdb is considered the most rare with the lowest survival rate of all the MPL's, thereby making its value or sales figures much higher than any other MPL.

One of the reasons given for this being such a short series is that the granular surface was not popular among collectors. Here's a paragraph from an interesting article I found on Ebay which gives a brief history of MPL's:

"VERY Popular among modern collectors are the 1909 - 1916 Matte Proof Lincolns. Only a few thousand on the average were coined each year, and had an unusual granular appearance. The MINT used this style, which was then popular in France, because the fields of the Lincoln cent were compound curvatures and the mint had no equipment able to polish dies like this. During the period, collectors did not embrace the MATTE appearance, and sales of the coins dropped off. The LAST matte proof Lincolns were made in 1916, though there are possibilities of a few 1917s existing."
    http://reviews.ebay.com/MATTE-PROOF-LINCOLNS_W0QQugidZ10000000005630063

As most experienced collectors will agree, buy a good resource book on whatever series you like. There is a fantastic book containing the most thorough and up to date information on MPL's: Kevin Flynn's "Lincoln Cent Matte Proof Lincolns." I have this book and have learned so much I didn't know about this short series and highly recommend it to anyone interested in MPL's. Kevin's book is described as "The only book devoted entirely to matte proof Lincoln Cents. Over 250 color and black and white photos provide die diagnostics descriptions to identify and authenticate matte proof Lincoln Cents. Included are die state diagnostics and photographs of previously unpublished diagnostics and die combinations." http://www.coinlink.com/Books/lincoln-cent-matte-proofs-by-kevin-flynn/

One of the hardest things about MPL's is determining if it is a business strike or an MPL since MPL's don't have the usual mirror finish that most other proofs have. The most significant diagnostic in telling the difference between an MPL and a business strike Lincoln is the sharpness of the rim. Below is a great photo taken by Brian Wagner of a 1910 MPL side by side to a 1910 business strike Lincoln which clearly demonstrates the difference in the rims of MPL's compared to the business strike. Also below is a photo of a "rimfin" shot (1910 shot out of holder showing reverse knife like edge).

The other, more difficult diagnostic for MPL's are die markers, which are different for each coin. Here's a thread I found on the PCGS forum with some excellent photos of diagnostics for the 1911 MPL: http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=612105

For example, in this PCGS post, member Robec states, "The most constant of all the diagnostics [for a 1911 MPL] that I have observed, regardless of die state, is the extra metal that rest inside the forks of the Y in LIBERTY." See photo below.

Robec goes on to state: "There are a couple of unlisted “diagnostic” that have also been observed. At first, because it wasn’t on the list, I had thought my coin was marred with a scratch of gouge from the rim to the G in GOD. After talking with Brian, it was discovered that he had the same marks on a couple of his 1911’s. The cool part of this is that he sent me images of 3 different die states, early, middle and late. Images from seven different 1911’s that Dave currently or previously has owned shows this “diagnostic” in mid die state on three of them. Brian believes an employee might have caused this gouge." See more photos posted below showing this "gauge."

These are just a few examples of diagnostics for one MPL, but you get the idea. Some of the diagnostics are very difficult to see but are also very important if you are trying to determine whether the well struck detailed Lincoln cent you found might really be an MPL. There are also are some great close up photos of most of the specific diagnostics in Flynn's book as well.

There is so much information to be learned about MPL's, but let me end with this. The popularity and marketing of MPL's has been discussed at length on separate threads here at CoinTalk and in other forums, but if you gain nothing else from reading those posts and this post, please remember this: Read, study, research, discuss, ask, observe - do whatever it takes, just be sure you LEARN the series you're interested in BEFORE you jump in and start buying!

And to reward you for getting all the way through this thread, at the very bottom is one of my favorite MPL's (the very rare 1916 PCGS PF65 BN) - enjoy!

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

I don't even collect these, but found it very interesting to read. Thank-you very much.

4. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Very interesting. Wish I had one to share pics of in this thread, but maybe some later date I will.

5. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

:thumb:

I've only got one Matte Proof Lincoln... so far ;)

Love the series and would like to maybe work on a full set someday.

6. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

Charmy, thank you for such a great post.

I happened to be working on my Lincoln Dansco with proofs just before opening this thread. :)

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Excellent ! :thumb:

8. The Penny Lady®

Well, Mike, having even one of these little guys is great! As I said, they are very rare and more unique than any proof series.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Great thread. Whats really tough is trying to put together a well matched set.
    The 09 VDB is a killer on the bank account.

Hunting Rare likes this.
  10. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Very good post and 1916 is very sweet indeed.

11. The Penny Lady®

If any of you have any Matte Proof Lincolns, please post photos of them - I'd love to see what you have!

12. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Well if you're going to make me ;)

I never get tired of looking at my 1909 PCGS PR65RB so I'll post the really big photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hunting Rare and NSP like this.
  13. The Penny Lady®

As always, Mike, that sure is a beauty - never get tired of seeing coins like this!

14. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Great thread1 Does anyone have pics of worn MPL's? probably the only way I'll get one is through the bargin bin. Can the squared off edges be worn down to look normal through circulation?
    THanks

15. The Penny Lady®

I have never seen a worn MPL, though even if worn, I think the rims would remain somewhat squared and different looking from the usual beveled rim of the business strike. However, I doubt there would much evidence of any die markers since most likely the markers would be worn off.

My personal guess is that if an MPL did enter circulation, it probably would be passed off as a regular business strike (though with a more crisp and detailed strike depending on how worn it was) and not much attention paid to it.

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Found another image of the 16.

[​IMG]

18. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Great post , and links , thanks again Penny Lady .
    rzage

19. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Thank you.

20. The Penny Lady®

I'm really not trying to promote another site's forum, but I hope you don't mind me referring to the PCGS forum because I have found some of the most useful and helpful information there. In particular, the PCGS Set Registry forum contains an abundance of useful information posted by some of the more renound Matte Proof Lincoln experts, including insightful opinions, great photos and hard facts they've gathered from years of research. Here's a recent thread with wonderful information on the 1909 vdb MPL that anyone interested in MPL's may find interesting and useful: http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=30&threadid=733758

21. The Penny Lady®

Here's another thread about the extremely rare 1909 vdb Matte Proof Lincoln with some of the most close up diagnostic photos I've ever seen!

According to one of the posters, in explaining why there are such bold diagnostics for the 1909 vdb MPL, he states "there was only ONE obverse die and ONE reverse die used in striking 1,503 of this coin on July 30, 1909. When production resumed on August 16th for proof cents the obverse die was still used and of course a new reverse die was started without the VDB. Between then and the end of the year, two other obverse dies and one other reverse die was used on the 1909 non VDB MPL." Any way, this thread is worth taking a look at just for the fantastic photos alone.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=30&threadid=737203

Draft saved Draft deleted