KM# 25 10 Pfennig fake?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by byrd740, May 17, 2009.

1. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

I was yet again going through some foreign coins I bought a while back and ran across this several times, thought nothing of it for several monthes and decided today to take a gander at it. It appears to be KM# 25 with beaded border, but Krause says Zinc. Unless my mind needs a refresher, zinc does not rust and/or stick to a magnet. Maybe it is either a fake or struck on an iron planchet maybe? What are my fellow CT's opinions?

P.S. BTW, the coin looks better than scans. The scans tend to bring the worst out of a coin.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. der_meister77

der_meister77 Senior Member

What you actually have posted is a KM20. The KM25 is of the same design but made of zinc. They are very rare and command a pretty high price. Too bad your's isn't made of zinc!

4. der_meister77

der_meister77 Senior Member

Are you able to read the date on that coin? From here I think I can make out the top of a "7" so I am guessing you have a 1917.

5. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

You know what I am glad you said that because now I read the description and that is it. The picture in the book is wrong. Sometimes I just scan pics, guess I need to pay a little more attention. It shows KM#12 under KM#20.

Attached Files:

6. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

It is 1917, like I said it looks a lot better in hand than the scan looks.

7. goossen

goossen Senior Member

It is KM #20, with beaded border on the reverse.

Draft saved Draft deleted