Key Dates needed by newbie

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CW5000, Dec 24, 2008.

1. CW5000

CW5000 Member

Could someone post the key dates for the following series'

Lincoln Memorial Cents (maybe wheat also?)
    Jefferson Nickels
    Mercury Dimes
    Roosevelt Dimes
    Washington Quarters
    Kennedy Halfs
    Eisenhower Dollars
    Susan B Anthony Dollars
    Sacagawea Dollars
    State Quarters
    Presidential Quarters
    Large Silver Dollars(Liberty)(current) don't know what you pros call them off the top of my head....:confused:

I've been looking on the web and found several sources but I (and I'm sure there are others) could really use something that is compact(like one sheet of paper) that I could carry around in my pocket, so when I get change I can quickly tell the possibly good from the probably bad.

Help from the CoinTalk gods would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

CW

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

Lincoln Memorial cents: I don't think there really are any key dates. There are some relatively scarce varieties, though. There is a 1960 D/D, large date over small date variety. Also, I suppose the 1972 double-die obverse. 1983 double-die reverse. 1992-D close AM, 1998 wide AM, 1999 wide AM.

Jefferson nickels: Key dates are 1938-D, 1938-S, 1939-D, 1939-S, and 1950-D. I am biased, as I collect Jefferson nickels, so I keep all dates pre 1965. They're not silver (with the exception of the war nickels 1942-1945), but they're worth more than face value to me.

Mercury dimes: Keep any you find in your change, as they're silver!! Key dates are 1916-D, 1921, and 1921-D.

Washington quarters: Any from 1964 or earlier (silver). Key dates are 1932-D and 1932-S.

Kennedy Halves: Any from 1964 are 90% silver. Any from 1965-1970 are 40% silver. Not really any key dates that I can think of.

Eisenhower dollars: I would keep any of these that I received. Some are silver (learn how to tell the difference.) Almost all worth slightly over face value.

Susan B Anthony dollars: No key dates that I know of. I personally don't think they're worth saving, but some may disagree with me. Oh, I think there's a wide rim variety or something like that. I've seen them, but I don't set them aside.

Sacagawea dollars: Look for the Cheerios variety on coins dated 2000. This is well-defined tail feathers on the eagle on the reverse. Some made their way into circulation. Worth a couple of thousand bucks each. Learn to tell the difference!

State quarters: None worth saving, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe if you want to put together one high-grade set for the novelty. I wouldn't pay a premium for any of these coins except the proofs, and you're not likely to find these in circulation, but it is possible.

Presidential quarters. I think you're talking about the Presidential dollars. There were a few errors that were valuable (missing edge lettering, doubled lettering, etc.)

Large silver dollars: Morgan, Peace...all valuable due to silver content and scarcity. Keep any you find.

Now, this list just applies to what you might find in pocket change, because that's what you said you were looking for. I wouldn't use it to buy coins with. Besides, you shouldn't be buying key date coins yet if you're just starting out. Learn your stuff first so you don't get ripped off and have to pay too much "tuition" for your numismatic education.

Good luck!

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Good detailed answer.

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

A couple comments to add.

Eisenhower Dollar: 1972 Type 2 Reverse is the key in the set.

Susan B. Anthony: 1979-P Wide Rim is the closest thing to a business strike key as the set has. The true keys are proofs, both the 1979-S and 1981-S proofs have "clear S" varieties that are quite valuable.

Draft saved Draft deleted