Justin’s Top 10 Coins of 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Justin Lee, Jan 4, 2021.

?

Which are your favorites? (Pick 3)

1. Carthage 15-shekel

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  2. Elagabalus Sacrificing

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. Carthage Horsehead Dishekel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Elagabalus Victoria

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
  5. Carthage Occupation of Italy

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. Domitian Sestertius

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  7. Faustina II Peacock

10 vote(s)
    37.0%
  8. Victoriatus

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  9. Marcus Aurelius Minerva

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  10. Geta Sestertius

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

With 2020 having wound to a close, as with others here, we take stock in the addition we’ve made to our collections. I actually went back to count the coins that I’ve purchased and added to my collection and was amazed to see a number very close to 150! Some of them were in-the-moment “snacks” to get me through times of “drought” while others were more akin to my own personal “white whale” coins. I was able to narrow them down to the top 20 or so, then slowly considered each one and got it down to a legitimate top 10 (unlike last year’s top listing of mine). From there, I used a tool that I had created a few years back at work called the Prioritization Grid to help me prioritize my top 10 into a sequence of importance for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#10 – Geta Sestertius
    This year much of my collecting focus has been divided into 3 paths, one of them being filling up my sestertii collection. A couple weeks prior, I had been delivered a sestertius of Caracalla, so when I saw this Geta available as “Best Offer” I had to toss in an offer and my starting offer was accepted! I had expected to haggle a bit, so I feel like I got this for a reasonable steal. The reverse has it’s problems, but the portrait is relatively decent and recognizable…. These don’t come along terribly often. And after receiving the coin with it’s original envelope, it stated this coin falls into a tighter time frame: The TR P III in the legend refers to the year 211, and the P P (Pater Patriae) would only have been given after the death of Septimius in Feb 211. This coin was then struck between Feb 4 and Dec 26, 211 AD.

[​IMG]
    Geta, Ruled 209-Dec 26th 211 AD
    AE Sestertius, Struck 211 AD, Rome mint
    Obverse: P SEPTIMIVS GETA PIVS AVG BRIT, laureate head right.
    Reverse: [TR P III COS II] P P, Woman (Felicitas or Italia?), seated left, holding sceptre in right hand and cornucopiae in left hand; on ground, left, figure seated left, on ground right, in front of chair, river-god reclining right; SC below.
    References: RIC IV 171A, Cohen 199
    Size: 31mm, 24.8g

#9 – Marcus Aurelius Minerva
    In April, I got a replacement for my “one that got away”. And to me it was even better than the one that it was replacing! This one is a sestertius and not an as, so bigger! And though it is a bit more worn, it has a certain magic and majesty with it’s rendering of Minerva and portrait. You can read my original post here: Replacing the "one that got away"...

[​IMG]
    Marcus Aurelius, as Caesar 139-161 AD, Ruled as Emperor 161-180 AD
    AE Sestertius, Struck 145 AD, Rome mint
    Obverse: AVRELIVS CAESAR AVG PII F COS II, bare head, right.
    Reverse: Minerva, helmeted, draped, standing, left, holding spear, vertical, in right hand and resting left on round shield set on ground; S-C across fields.
    References: RIC III 1245
    Size: 32mm, 23.56g
    Note: In 145 AD, Marcus was made consul for the second time (Jan. 1) and married Antoninus Pius’ daughter Fasutina (April).

#8 – Victoriatus
    With one path of my 3 collecting focuses being coins centered around the 2nd Punic War and other Carthaginian coins, and after seeing @red_spork’s ever-growing collection of Victoriati over the past few years, along with others’ recent additions like @H8_modern and @rrdenarius, I had to search for one. I ended up finding 2 on Vcoins and couldn’t decide which one to get…. So I got them both. I picked my favorite one to include in this list. I’d love to get a quadrigatus, but I believe that to be years (decades?) away.

[​IMG]
    Anonymous, Roman Republic
    AR Victoriatus, Rome mint
    Struck After 211 AD (211-208)
    Obverse: Laureate head of Jupiter right.
    Reverse: Victory standing right, crowning trophy; ROMA in exergue.
    References: Crawford 53/1, Sydenham 83
    Size: 16mm, 2.81g
    Ex: Moneta Numismatic Services (7/27/20)
    Triskeles, Auction 20 (6/30/17), lot # 516

The other one:
    incollage_20200731_183858015.jpg

#7 – Faustina II Peacock
    This one I got just for the reverse (the obverse leaves you desiring a bit more). It has this large peacock on it with it’s tail feathers spread wide. It is a very recognizable symbol on the reverse of deified empresses, and to me this is a very impressive one and I had to have it, and add it to my top 10. Check out the original post here: Now that's a big 'ol BIRD!

[​IMG]
    Faustina II, Wife of Marcus Aurelius
    AE Sestertius, Struck 175-176 AD, Commemorative Issue, Rome mint
    Obverse: DIVA FAV-STINA PIA, bust, draped, hair elaborately waved in nearly vertical lines and fastened in a low chignon at back of head, down cheek, curls, right.
    Reverse: CONS[ECRATIO], Peacock, with tail spread, standing front, head and body inclined left, S-C across field at feet.
    References: RIC III 1703
    Size: 28mm, 22.7g

#6 – Domitian Sestertius
    In keeping with my hunting for sestertii, I was scouring Ebay regularly over the summer for them, when this one popped up. It had a lot going for it in my mind… A nice portrait, a sestertius of an emperor I didn’t have, and a nice design and rendering for the reverse (highly visual and anepigraphic as to not distract you from said visual). This one has some nice, honest wear that doesn’t entirely remove it’s beauty and detail from it.

[​IMG]
    Domitian, Ruled 81-96 AD
    AE Sestertius, Struck 92-94 AD, Rome mint
    Obverse: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XVI CENS PER P P, Laureate head right.
    Reverse: Domitian standing left, holding thunderbolt and spear, being crowned by Victory standing left, holding palm frond.
    References: RIC II 752
    Size: 33mm, 25.22g

#5 – Carthage Occupation of Italy
    In February, I was flipping through inventory on Vcoins and came across an interesting style of coin akin to the Carthaginian MAA 57 with Tanit and Horsehead, but it was fairly different design-wise. It was because it was minted not by the traditional Carthage or Sardinian mints, but in southern Italy. When Hannibal occupied Bruttium, specifically Lokroi Epizephyrioi, the Carthage military mints started striking these coins likely using local Italian celators giving it it’s distinct style. I had purchased two denominations (a unit & a half unit) and I chose the better-looking unit to display here. These were what sparked by post here: Coins of Occupation

[​IMG]
    Carthaginian Occupation of Southern Italy
    Lokroi Epizephyrioi, Bruttium (under Hannibal)
    AE Unit, Circa 215-205 BC, 2nd Punic War
    Obverse: Head of Tanit-Demeter left, wearing wreath of grain ears.
    Reverse: Head of horse right; Punic ‘ayin or aleph to right.
    References: Robinson, Second Punic War, p. 53, 4a; HN Italy 2022; SNG Cop 370
    Size: 25mm, 13.05g
    Notes: A very South Italian style of Tanit-Demeter bust and horse head compared to other mints.
    Obverse Die Match/cf: CNG E-Auction 456 (11/13/2019), Lot #22

#4 – Elagabalus Victoria
    Ever since shortly after I started collecting ancient coins and hearing the lore and stories about Elagabalus, I’ve been fascinated with him. This coin was priced right, and it was hiding behind a little coating of some dirt and debris, but still maintained much of the details from a nice strike. So I picked it up with the intention of cleaning it up a bit to make it a tad more presentable. I could see it was a pretty coin. It ended up having a lovely dark brown to black patina underneath the coating of stuff. I really like the delicate eyes, nose, and mouth on the portrait… the crazy boy emperor.

Before (seller's photo):
    elagabalus-victoria.jpg

After:
    [​IMG]
    Elagabalus, Ruled 218-222 AD
    AE Sestertius, Struck 219-220 AD, Rome mint
    Obverse: IMP CAES M AVR ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: VICTORIA ANTONINI AVG, Victory advancing right, holding wreath in raised right hand and palm over left shoulder; S-C across fields.
    References: RIC IV 377
    Size: 31.5mm, 24.0g

#3 – Carthage Horsehead Dishekel
    I had mentioned the Carthaginian MAA 57 Tanit and Horsehead coin type up in #5, which is a one shekel denomination and is relatively common (around 19-20mm and 3.5-4.5g). I had seen someone here post (I can’t remember who) the bigger MAA 58 dishekel denomination with the similar motifs only larger (27-28mm and 14-15g), and I knew I had to have one. This coin came up on Ebay and I won it for around what I often see the smaller one shekels go for, so I feel I got a sweet deal on it. The larger Tanit and Horsehead make it all that more cooler, along with the lovely green patina.

[​IMG]
    Zeugitania, Carthage, 264-241 BC
    First Punic War
    AE Dishekel, Sardinia Mint
    Obverse: Head of Tanit left, wearing wreath of grain and earrings.
    Reverse: Head of horse right.
    References: MAA 58, SNG Cop 192
    Size: 27mm, 14.5g
    cf: CNG E-Auction 407 (10/11/2017), Lot #27

#2 – Elagabalus Sacrificing
    This one came a few months after the previous Elagabalus coin. This one in my eyes has a lot going for it: horned bust on a big bronze, nice looking late style portrait with young beard, wonderful green patina, and some scarcity ta’ boot! (I only find 2 examples on ACSearch, both non-horned). It is late in his reign, his last year (PM TR P V COS IIII P P), so makes it more historically interesting to me.

[​IMG]
    Elagabalus, Ruled 218-222 AD
    AE Sestertius, Struck 222, Rome mint
    Obverse: IMP CAES M AVR ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, horned, laureate, draped, cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: Elagabalus, in Syrian priestly robes, standing left, sacrificing out of patera in right hand over lighted altar, holding club in left hand; behind altar, bull crouching; in field, star.
    References: RIC IV 334
    Size: 29mm, 19.4g
    Notes: Beautiful portrait of the young emperor. Last year of reign.

#1 – Carthage 15-shekel
    This one is the coin that I had been referring to at the beginning mentioning “white whale”. These don’t come up for auction or sale very often and when they do they often command a price fitting for the size of it. I’ve been lusting after this type after seeing @TIF’s and @Alegandron’s. I ended up stumbling upon the coin I have while scrolling through Vcoins searches under “Carthage” and the like. I placed my order quickly and that next month it was in my hands. It is far from as nice as @TIF’s (though her’s is slightly different with foreleg raised) and not quite as nice as @Alegandron’s, but she’s mine and I’m happy to have her and to cross this type off my list.

[​IMG]
    Zeugitania, Carthage, Circa 201-175 BC
    AE 15-Shekel, Carthage Mint
    Obverse: Wreathed head of Tanit left.
    Reverse: Horse standing right; uraeus above.
    References: MAA 104, SNG Cop 400
    Size: 44mm, 6.5mm thick, 86.4g
    Notes: Very rare. The largest Carthaginian bronze issue and likely one of the largest struck coins in antiquity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THANK YOU ALL for your support, companionship, and community over the (tough) past year. I'm wishing you all a better 2021!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I like the Domitian sestertius. Reminds me of:
    [​IMG]

DonnaML and Justin Lee like this.
  4. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Great coins Justin - you've had a great year.
    I like them all but #4 (great cleaning job!!), #2 and especially that big hunk of bronze at #1 are my favorites.

Happy New Year!

Justin Lee likes this.
  5. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

great coins, your white whale is super

Justin Lee likes this.
  6. Justin Lee

Thank you! I was slightly uncertain about it, but I like how it came out. It was actually pretty soft stuff and just needed some soaking and brushing.

7. Justin Lee

It does! It really appeals to me with that type of "We have a Winner!" visual symbolism.

8. Justin Lee

Thank you! "It's as big as a whale!"

Roman Collector likes this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@Justin Lee ... Dude, you Nailed it!

great set of coins! Yeah, I would take them all! 15 Shekels is a horse of a coin!

Justin Lee likes this.
  10. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Great top 10 @Justin Lee !
    You know I love Victories and you have some real stunners in there. My top has to be that Elagabalus!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Looking forward to seeing what you add in 2021.

Justin Lee likes this.
  11. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice selection. I voted #4, #6 and #1

Q

12. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

The Elagabalus sestertius is outstanding, while not in pristine condition - a very interesting type and it includes the horn above his forehead. Never seen one of these on a sestertiusl

13. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

J.L., You were a busy boy this year, 150 coins added :jawdrop:! Well at least there's no mystery as to what you do in your spare time :smuggrin:. You did post some great coins :D. My favorites are 3 sestertii, #2 has a great portrait & attractive uniform patina, followed by #6 & 10 :happy:.

14. singig

singig Well-Known Member

I really like the Domitian sestertius , I also voted for the #1 and #7.
    Congratulations !

15. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Great group! My favorite is number 10. Very interesting to see just how much Geta tried to have his portrait look like his father. If I had just seen a photo of the coin without your description, I probably would have thought it was a coin of Septimius. Also, very cool to have the date narrowed down to the last year of his life.

I love that monster shekel from Carthage as well.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  16. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

If anything, these year-end lists have been reminding me how many coins remain on my want list. On this one, it's the Carthage 15-shekel. Congrats on the score.

17. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Great group! Of course I chose the Faustina as #1!

18. Justin Lee

THANK YOU! :shy:

That's a major thing that drew me to it!

I was as surprised as you are when I counted them and was getting over 100! :jawdrop: Then 110! :jawdrop: Then 120, and 130, and 140!

I noticed his twirled beard but didn't really put 2+2 together, but you're right! He does look very much like his father and, as you said, it could be trying to align himself with his father and differentiating himself from his big brother in the eyes of the people. I'm wondering how successful that was and how much it played a role in his being killed? :oops:

Well, of course you did!! :smuggrin:

Shea19 and Roman Collector like this.
  19. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Great list! You added a lot of big bronzes this year! I really like your no. 2. That's a great portrait of Elagabal, and lovely colouring.

20. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

@Justin Lee great selection of coins. I like the Victoriatii. Both the RRC 53/1 and the 166/1 are very good well centered examples of these two separate issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted