Just to prove how places like this can effect you

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by sylvester, Sep 17, 2005.

1. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Until i came on here i was normal, ordinary, sensible. I collected British coins, British sixpences;

All i ever seem to buy now are these darn things;

[​IMG]

which was followed by;

[​IMG]

Then i saw this and i simply had to have it, double Krause or not i wasn't going to let it go;

[​IMG]

And i'm now looking all over for another one, and another...

These dixieme d'ecu's are so very addictive... i'm doomed. And i'm enjoying it! :D

Oh and i saw this too... (me buying copper? i MUST be ill!) [A liard]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Funny how that works aint it :D

4. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Sorry to have to tell you this mate but if you keep on going like that you'll be collecting silver jetons within the next two years.... max.

It's not that bad either ;)

5. satootoko

satootoko Retired

6. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Ian,if I were you,I'd start collecting Scots banknotes.The Royal Bank of Scotland Plc has issued a few commemorative 1 Quid notes,& have had a few commemorative 5 Quid notes,with the Jack Nicklaus commemorative being the most recent one.I haven't
    got this one yet.I do have the Queen's Golden Jubilee 5 Quid note,
    which an English friend got for me when he was in Scotland.

Aidan.

7. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

I have most if not all the R B of S commemorative banknotes including the one for the EU summit in 1992 (encased with presentation pack). I also have a few older notes including a couple from the 1930's (one a rather large fiver of The National Bank of Scotland dated 1st July 1936, three £'s of the British Linen Bank dated 35, 37, and 38, and a R B of S note dated 1st December 1938). They have all happened my way more by chance than by design. To be honest, i'm not really all that interested in collecting banknotes.

When the J NIcklaus note was issued first it was selling for a small fortune on ebay. Banks here were limiting the quantity people could buy to five each. Most banks sold out within the week. Now the price has levelled out. I did manage to provide some of my numismatic buddies in the US with at least one example.

8. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Oh no something worse Ian... medieval gold.

I've seen it and i'm getting to like it. I just like the look of medieval gold. English gold i've had but it's too expensive, as much as i love quarter nobles and all. The French stuff looks alot cheaper! And just as nice... :D

I thought i'd taken the gold bug outside and beat it with a shovel and buried it way back in 2003 when i sold off my small hoard of gold coins. Guess i was wrong... it's been festering in the deeperst, darkest recesses of my mind, and now it's coming out to play.

9. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

IMHO you would be making a very shrewd move by getting hold of the french mediaeval gold while it is so low. The trend price wise seems to be moving upwards of late but that might just be the increasing value of gold in relation to dollars. For us Brits, these gold pieces are still exceptionally good value for money when compared to Brit stuff.

PS: I still think I see another jeton collector in the making though. ;-)

Ian

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Try heroin, it's cheaper and less addictive. :rolleyes:

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

ROTFL !!

12. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Ian,I am missing the EU Summit commemorative 1 Quid.The first
    Scots commemorative I got into my collection was the 1999 Scots
    Parliament one.I have got a 1963 British Linen Bank 1 Quid.Did you know that the Royal Bank of Scotland's notes have a few elements from the designs of the British Linen Bank banknotes?

Aidan.

13. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

It is difficult to find lower denom. commem notes in circulation.. If you don't get them when they are first released you've basically had it as far as getting a decent collectable note is concerned other than through buying from a collector or dealer.

I occasionally pull an Alexander Graham Bell note from circulation, but they are generally creased and well used. I've never seen any EU ones for a few years now. I guess they are all out of circ. by now.

Being afflicted with magpie-itis, I have a collection of notes (more than i've mentioned) but as I said, my bank note collection is no great interest to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted