Just Starting with Bullion

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mcarney1173, May 25, 2009.

1. mcarney1173

mcarney1173 Senior Member

Hi. I'm considering getting in to bullion collecting. What metal bars have the best potential to sell for more in the future and which bullion coins are the best to collect. I already have an ounce of silver coming to me and a kilo of copper also. Thanks:pencil:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Be careful buying copper bars. The markup is outrageous most of the time.

4. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

As far as bullion coins go, you can't go wrong with the american silver eagle :)
    And I like the buffalo 1 ounce bars as well

5. pennywise

pennywise Collector of dust

Kilo copper bar bar is worth $4.55 as of friday spot.

6. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

I have to disagree. THe premium is way higher for eagles and buffalo than for bars or rounds.

7. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

buy american eagle silver bullion one ounce dollar.

8. tmoneyeagles

For re sale purposes, the original thread said something about re sale

If there is no re sale involved, then yes, buying any round that is 1 ounce, would be cheapest, but if you pay a premium for ASE's, you'll more than likely see that premium in return

9. mcarney1173

Thanks, I can see huge markups on copper bars on certain sites. I'm looking more towards bullion coins. Do any sites have updated values of raw metal. The Wall Street Journal site is too complicated, any good sites that have values per ounce?

10. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

11. mcarney1173

Kitco- great site, thanks for the help.

12. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

You are welcome. Also, check out you local scrap yards. I have seen 20 lb and up copper rectangles go for a few cents over melt. No stampings on purity or maker, but still copper.

13. JoeSmith

JoeSmith Member

I've never sold any of my gold or silver, but wouldn't coins be easier to sell? I see on Ebay one ounce gold american eagles are about $1000, which means more to me than the "spot price". I'd be hesitant about buying someone's gold bar, so I assume others would be too, making it harder to sell (or barter with).

My choices (and I don't claim to be an expert) are the silver american eagle, and tenth ounce gold american eagles. I got one ounce gold eagles when I bought because I didn't like the 10% premium for the one tenth ounce eagles. But you get that 10% premium back if you sell, you can sell smaller amounts, not a whole ounce, and they're smaller.

14. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

SAE are just bullion, why pay 2 premiums over spot? As far as gold is concerned, I can see your point.

15. tmoneyeagles

I see ASE's selling for $20 a piece... Gold is near $15...$5 over melt, isn't that bad, and you always have the resale factor... :)

16. Joshycfl

Joshycfl Senior Member

I feel premiums go both ways, buy it at at $2 premium, sell it at a $2 premium.

17. pennywise

pennywise Collector of dust

18. buyingsilvers

buyingsilvers New Member

5 over melt is bad, and you arent guarenteed to recoup the premium upon resale. $20 a piece is a 38% premium.

19. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

ASEs are easier to resell than silver rounds and bars due to the recognition factor. Also, one of these years the Mint will stop producing ASEs, and when this happens they are likely to immediately start to develop some [and maybe a substantial] numismatic premium since the supply will become fixed but the demand will continue around the same level. The current premium over other bullion coins might look like a bargain ten years from now.

20. tmoneyeagles

With silver where it is at right now, if I had the money, I'd be buying ASE's at $20 all day

21. buyingsilvers

buyingsilvers New Member

That really doesn't make sense to me, but to each his own. Online dealers are selling them for $17.10 - $17.50. Could probably even get them cheaper on ebay.

To the original poster, whatever you decide to buy, dip your feet in slowly. Gain experience and find out what you like, at the prices you like. Do not throw all your money at it one time, a lot of people have been burnt this way and regretted it.

Draft saved Draft deleted