Jules Karp Coins & Bullion

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Coney Hatch, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Coney Hatch

Coney Hatch New Member

Hi all. I've seen the thread on companies that advertise in various periodicals (Coin News, Coin World, etc.) like Skyline Coins, The Coin Depot, and the like. Most people seem to have gotten ripped off by buying junk when advertised as BU.

To that, does anyone have any experience with Jules Karp Coins & Bullion, Inc, out of NY? Reason I ask is I'm working on my Gold Coin collection. I currently have all 3 types of the $1 coin, both of the quarter eagle types, and the Liberty half eagle. The prices advertised by JK in the December 2006 edition of Coin Magazine show prices about 5%-10% less that what I paid for my coins for roughly the same grade. However, when looking at the double eagle (liberty & SG), the prices seem to be just barely over melt price, not including the price of the coin for UNC. UNC = $659 for SG and $635 for Liberty. The eagle prices for same grade are $492 & $345 respectively.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

First of all I would have my doubts that the coins advertised for such prices are truly Unc. And if they are, they are probably so beat up ( bag marks and the like ) that you would probably be happier buying an AU coin that you find attractive.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

"To that, does anyone have any experience with Jules Karp Coins & Bullion, Inc, out of NY?"

I had an exeperience years ago, before I learned better, when I called them about buying an 1882 and 1886 gold dollars. They told me to send them $500 each and they'd try to get one. Very nasty on the phone.

Also, I have seen Jules' buy list at coin shows: he will list (for example) 1880 $10 gold- ugly. Huh? No one that I know of has ever figured out that grade.. and I have spoken to a number of dealers.

Save your money, buy elsewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted