Jewish/Arabic coin?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by SpiffyAllstar, Nov 13, 2004.

1. SpiffyAllstar

SpiffyAllstar Member

Hello everyone. The coin in question I bought a week ago at the local coin show, and I cannot for the life of me figure it out. Here are some images of it:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The date is 1289. Any Ideas?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

It certainly is not Israeli. The six-pointed star is referred to as a Mogen David (Star of David) by the Israelis, and as the Seal of Solomon by Muslims.

1289 on the most common calendar of the Islamic world - based on Mohammed's flight from Mecca - extends from March 11, 1872 to March 1, 1873 on the western calendar. With your indistinct photos I can't be sure, but think it is a bronze Morrocan 1 Falus of Sidi Mohammed IV, KM#160a.2. If so, it should weigh 2.9g and have a diameter of about 21mm. The 2001 19th Century Krause values it at $4.50 F, $10 VF, $18.50 XF, $30 Unc.

4. Tbirde

Tbirde Senior Member

If half dollar size, 26-29mm, it's probably a 3 falus, C(KM)-166, ~$2 VG, ~$3 F, ~$6 VF depending on the mint that year, Fes or Marakesh. You might also try a library for a copy of the Standard Catalog of World Coins for pictures, values and lots more interesting info.

5. SpiffyAllstar

SpiffyAllstar Member

Yes! :D It is in fact the 4 falus KM-166! I forgot about morocco using the six-pointed star. The date also appears to be the 1289/8 variety, which makes it from marakesh. Thanks Guys, you've been a big help. :cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted