Japan type set - Dansco 7460 (warning - plenty of images)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by gxseries, Oct 9, 2009.

1. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

This is a real album, not some digital album that I used to feature other coins.

I just received this coin album and the coins inside are shocking. All of them except the Trade dollar looks to be genuine and have great eye appeal. (duh genuine Japanese trade dollar coins in undamaged condition are 4 figure coins). I happened to have a damaged trade dollar coin which I replaced later so it's no loss for me. The toughest I reckon is the 1870, 1871 coins which I had real difficulties. I have never seen these many high grade coins in one place and it's a crazy feat by itself!

Some might wonder why bother buying the whole lot as it removes the thrill. Trust me, I thought it was fun but it turns out to be REALLY frustrating. The added bonus to this is, this Dansco 7460 album is quite old and is clearly out of print. For instance Emperor Hirohito (Showa) passed away back in 1989 is just dated as "1926 - " in the book. There is also no hole for a 500 yen coin which was first struck in 1982. Therefore I am certain that it couldn't have been produced any later than 1982, definitely not in the 90s which makes this album older than I am! Dansco might want to reconsider reproducing this album as there is a demand for this album. Needless to say, I love this album at first sight.

Ok enough talk and here is the list of coins:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

MOST impressive!

Several holes are filled which would be empty if the album were mine.

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

W o w

That is fantastic, incredible, & out-of-this-world. Where did you buy it?

Is there another one available? :)

Very best regards,
    collect89

P.S. I am very envious.

5. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Collect89, when you mean by one, I presume you meant by album.

Honestly, I wasn't actively looking for the album and perhaps I didn't really know about it's existance and understood how amazing it is until I have this album in my hands.

As far as I can see, it really seems the album itself is more rare than the coins itself (which is quite funny) and a nice album does seem to fetch good money.

Here's one related album: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160366157848

As far as I can see, the coins by themselves are nowhere close to what people are bidding at the moment.

I reckon that if I have enough time and with the proper equipment, I can somewhat duplicate this album. Afterall it's just holes in cupboard, nicely printed labels and plastic sheets. One day I'll have to get back to the drawing board.

6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Here are some of the better coins from the first page:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turns out the scarce 1870 yen looks like a possible contemporary counterfeit?

[​IMG]

I am slowly photographing the coins when I have the time. Please feel free to view the rest of the coins at omnicoin: http://www.omnicoin.com/user_view.aspx?id=gxseries

7. north49guy

north49guy Show me the Money

Wow, that is really neat! Congrats!

8. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

WOW! Great stuff. You're really starting to kindle my interest in these coins.

9. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

If you are referring to the calligraphy of the "Yen" character, based on the photo, it may be the second of the three varieties* shown in the JNDA catalog. One can never be sure without having the coin in hand, but I really don't see anything else questionable about the coin. Are the diameter and weight correct?

*1. The space above the two horizontal interior strokes is slightly larger than the space between the strokes and the space below the lower stroke; and the left diagonal stroke at the bottom is truncated.
    2. The spaces above, between and below the horizontal interior strokes are equal; and the bottom diagonal strokes are equal.
    3. The bottom interior horizontal stroke is missing and the remaining stroke is quite close to the top of the rectangle; and the left diagonal stroke at the bottom is truncated..​

10. (v)

(v) Senior Member

Very nice.

11. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

You got a great album.

I need a Dansco that has rectangular holes.:)

Attached Files:

12. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

gxseries - Let us know what comes of you trying to make your own albums. I for one would be interested in buying one!

13. richc743

richc743 Junior Member

Nice set

I purchased the Dansco Japan Type set on Ebay over a year ago. Missing the 1870 and 1871 5 Sen coins as well as the 1870 Yen and Trade Dollars. I did purchase a 1870 Yen which turned out to be a counterfeit. Looking over your coin it is very similiar in that the rim was off-centered and the denticles around the rim were very weak. Hopefully you did not pay very much for the coin. Anyway a very nice collection.

14. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I bought this album as a lot - even if I didn't include the possibly counterfeit 1870 yen, it's still worth it.

15. richc743

richc743 Junior Member

Understand, yes based on what I have seen of your collection it was a good investment and if you got it as a lot probably got a good deal. I have a few other examples of counterfeit coins which I have acquired over the years. It seems the large dollar-size silver coins of any country were very popular to counterfeit. Which is why mentioned it looked like many I have seen. Just making a comment not trying to offend.

16. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Junior Member

I recently picked up some Japanese coins out of the foreign coin bin at a local coin shop but really have no idea of how to date them. After looking at this post I'de say that most of them are pretty old and now I'm gonna have to go back and pilfer through the bin once again!

17. north49guy

I really want to do one of these sets. Just wondering how much approximately it costs to fill it (if there are a couple expensive ones then how much would they be in comparison)

18. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

It doesn't come cheap north49guy. I reckon it can be more than 1500 dollars assuming if you want your coins to be not cleaned and not damaged. Can be halved easily or more if you buy these coins at a lower grade or damaged:

The reasons why:

Trade dollar: This is the most expensive coin of the whole lot - at least 1000 dollars if you want it undamaged and not cleaned.

1870 yen: Easily a few hundred dollars, maybe 300 or more. At least 1000+ in aUNC condition.

1870 5 yen: Difficult to locate this key date coin - another 100.

Gin countermark: These are getting a bit expensive to find. Another 100.

I haven't included the other coins but as you can see - this can get quite expensive. This Dansco album itself supposedly goes at a premium itself. Last example I saw online is this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300399803140

19. north49guy

Thanks gxseries

20. coinsarethebest

coinsarethebest Junior Member

Nice coins although i don't know much about Japanese coinage i can certainly say these are awesome. KUDOS!

21. richc743

richc743 Junior Member

Dating japanese coins

Here is a link to a website which will help you date your coins.

http://www.lioncoins.com/nippon.htm

I been collecting coins for over 40 years with the Japanese coins being my first collector coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted