Japan 1964 1000 Yen

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by NPCoin, Sep 29, 2006.

1. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

As far as I know, Japan did not produce any proof 1964 1000 Yen to commemorate the Olympics. But are prooflike strikes common for this particular coin? The coin "in hand" looks much better, the fields are much more mirrored than the photo, and the devices appear much more frosty. My camera's just gone bad is all :hammer: Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

NPCoin,you are also aware that Japan also issued a silver 100 Yen coin in Showa 39 (1964) to commemorate the Olympic Games.It has a torch on it.

What coin is in your avatar? It looks like one of those illegal NORFED Liberty Dollars.

Aidan.

4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

There were no official proofs issued for Japan's first ever ¥1000 coin, but the quality of the circulation coins was exceptional. About 10% of the ones I have accumulated exhibit prooflike characteristics. In many ways the 1964 Olympics were a celebration of Japan's entry into international political life, following it's years of isolation, then what we would call today a "third world emerging nation" and the devastating effects of World War II, culminating in its rebirth as a world economic pwer. As a result they pulled out all the stops, and both the ¥100 and ¥1000 yen commemoratives were of outstanding quality.

5. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

Thanks! So, if I got rid of it, then there is a pretty good chance of fnding one much later down the road that is of equal quality then, I would assume. I want to complete a World Birthyear Set, so my focus is shifting toward that end for the next few years. Thanks again!

6. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

It's a NORFED Liberty Dollar inside an SGS "graded" slab for a US Silver $1. Just another one of them "statements" like the George I proof I "made". :D

Draft saved Draft deleted