Isle of Man GOLD Noble available?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by NCViking, Aug 24, 2009.

1. NCViking

NCViking Junior Member

I cannot find ANY information regarding the new Isle of Man gold Noble bullion coin. Was it struck in 2008, 2009 or both? Is the value commensurate with other country's bullion coins?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Pretty much any coin from the Isle of Man will be based on the bullion content of the coin.

4. NCViking

NCViking Junior Member

GDJMSP,

The reason I asked is because one just sold today on eBay for $4,500.00. I had never heard of the GOLD one-ounce Noble, with the Viking ship. I DO know about the fractionals. If it IS a new issue, I'm thinking, as you, it will only be worth a small premium over bullion. Thank you.

5. leoq

leoq Junior Member

6. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

7. NCViking

NCViking Junior Member

De Orc,

That's an interesting website BUT it still has nothing on the gold Noble. Perhaps the Pobjoy just began striking them recently? Thank you anyway.

8. GDJMSP

Yes they did. I have seen the ads in the coin mags where they are selling them - for not much more than bullion. If somebody paid $4500 for one as you say - they were a fool.

9. NCViking

NCViking Junior Member

Leoq,

Apparently Pobjoy has not advertised these too heavily yet. I'll just sit back and wait. Thanks for your interest.

10. John the Jute

John the Jute Collector of Sovereigns

My understanding is that Baird & Co. is the sole distributor for the UK

http://www.goldline.co.uk/bullionCoinsPage.page?coinId=39

so you won't find the coin on Lawrence Chard's website, useful though that is.

The only date I've seen is 2009.

It did look wrong somehow, since the platinum noble, identical in design, more or less defined the platinum bullion coin. (These were minted in large mumbers in the 1980s, from 1983 on, and were still occasionally minted as late as 1997. Lots of them, I understand, were melted down last year, when a bottleneck in South Africa sent the platinum price through the roof.)

Isle of Man coinage, including the morass of cute collectors' coins, is minted by the Pobjoy Mint in England.

For any coin minted after 1970, that's certainly true, and is supported by Lawrence Chard's jaundiced comments on the flood of Pobjoy issues:

http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/isleofmanhistory.html

There were a few coins minted locally before the island brought its currency into line with the UK in 1840--Hiberno-Norse silver pennies from the 11th century, Murray's Pence tokens from the 17th, and pennies & halfpennies from the Lords of Man in the 18th--that are much rarer.

For the modern issues to acquire a numismatic premium would, I think, take an extinction event--as has already happened to the platinum nobles--followed by a hundred years of neglect.

Later,

John

11. NCViking

NCViking Junior Member

John,

You have provided the FINAL clue to the puzzle. I'm beginning to feel sorry for the chap who bought the one on eBay. Thank you.

12. John the Jute

John the Jute Collector of Sovereigns

Det var ikke noget.

mvh.

John

13. jessash1976

jessash1976 Coin knowledgeable

I have a mag that has the 1/20 ounce gold nobles for 149 dollars. Thought about buying one.

14. NCViking

NCViking Junior Member

Jessash,

I've seen the one-twentieth ounce one and WILL get one eventually. The one-ounce 2009 gold Noble, according to Baird & Co. in London, will not be shipped th the United States except for bulk orders. That Viking ship in gold is simple beautiful.

15. jessash1976

The one I have in my mag is a1994 1/20 ounce. And does not hav eto be bought in bulk. I could just by one.

16. NCViking

NCViking Junior Member

Jessash,

Would you please advise me of the dealer who is selling the 1/20 gold Noble. I'm getting the urge to purchase one. Thanks.

17. GDJMSP

Boy Howdy !! I sure wouldn't ! That's $2980 an ounce ! :eek:

18. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

:whistle:la la la:whistle::p

19. NCViking

NCViking Junior Member

GDJMSP,

Yor are correct. That IS high for a 1/20 ounce bullion coin. Thanks for bringing me back to my senses.

20. jessash1976

Still a nice coin to have. I think they made only 5,000 of them. With the price of gold going up, who, knows someday in the future.:rolleyes:

21. Amberjack

Amberjack Junior Member

Viking Nobel Availability

Unfortunately, the 1 Nobel coins are sold out :vanish:. Contrary to misc. posts, bulk orders for the 1 Nobels were not necessary. I ordered only 1; and it was expensive.

Elizabeth II is on the obverse; a Viking longship on the reverse. Absolutely Stunning! And, 31g of 999.99 gold. It makes an Alchemist's heart beat faster!!

Preferredcustomerclub.com (part of gov.mint.com) had what I believe was the entire striking of 3000 coins. They were authorized for minting in 1994 and dies were created, yet - and who knows why - they were never minted.

Apparently, Nicholas Bruyer of 1st Federal Coin Corp. convinced the Pobjoy mint to strike the coins; and obtain exclusive access to all of them. He also had them graded by NGC. Mine is graded PF 69 Ultra Cameo, "First Year of Issue." All were dated 1994, as directed by law; and al[l are legal UK tender. PF 70s were ~$3000 USD; 69s: $2400 USD. I checked today and all they have left are 1/20 Nobels (about the size of a US dime). There around $200, but I forget exactly. I'm more interested in the new 1/4 pound British Sovereign first minted in 2009. About $150 and around the size of a US nickel.

Sorry for the long post; but I hope it was helpful
    !--

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted