Is this color original or added?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by matchmaker, May 29, 2009.

1. matchmaker

matchmaker Senior Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

It doesn't look kosher to me.

4. matchmaker

matchmaker Senior Member

Here it is with different lighting.

[​IMG]

5. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

It looks too pink(peach). I believe it has been overdipped.

6. ryanbrooks

ryanbrooks Active Member

Defiantly cleaned, sorry! All the luster has completely gone, although it still has nice details. ;)

7. matchmaker

matchmaker Senior Member

I must have taken a crappy picture. This coin has great luster. But can a coin that old with that much wear (I am thinking AU-50ish) retain that much original color? It is probably recolored.

If you all are seeing pink and dead luster than my pics are not showing the coin as it is. The color is orange, no pink.

8. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

The reason I believe it has been cleaned is in the protected areas there is a build-up of dirt and the fields are too clean, so that is, to me, strike one. Strike two, is that the colour is blanched, it is more a peach colour than a red or redbrown. And strike three is that as far as I can tell the coin has no lustre. What you may be thinking is lustre is just the shine from the cleaning.

9. matchmaker

matchmaker Senior Member

Thanks. :cool:

10. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Yep couldn't have said it better myself guys :)
    Coins like this, normally don't have that color, unless actually toned that way..That coin looks like a memorial penny :) (By looking at color)
    Some of the scratches can be too well seen, and from the coin, no luster present :)
    Just a shine from cleaning, almost like a good polishing job :)
    Still a nice coin ;)

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I believe the coin's color is not natural for the following reasons:

o It has lots of chatter on the cheek and high-point wear, and any 1843 with that saw that much circulation wouldn't be this red color.

o The color appears over "shiny" not "lustrous" surfaces. Red coins almost always have luster underneath. Recolored coins, like the one pictured, are shiny underneath.

o The color is "off". It's a pumpkin color, not a copper color.

o It's an 1843, and red or even RB 1843's are seriously rare.

It's actually a pretty good recoloring job, IMO, and would fool the inexperienced....Mike

Draft saved Draft deleted