Is this a mint set

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Ladybug, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Ladybug

Ladybug Junior Member

Good morning

Here's a six piece coin set, that i was talking about,does anybody know the value on this package of coins,and what is it?Kiss
    I tried to do research on it and the coins say 1964 mint set,What;s a mint set ?
    Jane

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Set of coins minted at the Denver mint that year.

4. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Ladybug-

What you have there is actually half of a mint set. This one is from the Denver Mint and there should be another just like it from the Philadelphia Mint. If you have the two together, then the value would be around $25-$30.

5. TheeGman

TheeGman Thegman

1964 Denver mint set

Yes it's a mint set from Denver. Back then mint sets are coins that are supposedly hand picked for coins with few contact or other marks. The half dollar, quarter and dime are 90% silver and the value of the set is around $14-$15 bucks.

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

7. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

A mint set is just as the name implies. The mint puts together annual sets of the circulating coinage from that year into packaging and they sell them to the public. They are untouched by human hands and sealed in plastic. I think most of the older ones were put in that flimsy plastic. The newer ones come in hard plastic cases that are much nicer.

The redbook lists the 64 proof set mintages at a total of 3,950,762. The issue price was $2.10 back in 1964. Current value lists that set at $15.00. That seems to be the range they're selling for on ebay. 10 to 16.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1964-US-Mint-sealed-Proof-Set_W0QQitemZ180475338798QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item2a052b202e

Assuming that is a proof set. Do they have a highly polished, mirror finish? Or do they look satiny like new change you'd get back at the store? The satin looking ones would be the uncirculated set. Just the name they use to describe regular business strike (change meant for commerce) coins. They put together a little over a million of those sets in 1964 and they're worth around 20-30.

Easiest way to know is look for the mint mark on the penny under the date. No mm = a P set. Uncirculated. D= Uncirculated set. S= a proof set. Most proof coins over the years have been produced at the S.F. mint. HTHs.

Edit: Ok. I can read Denver on the packaging now. So that is an uncirculated, a.k.a. mint state (MS) set.

8. grizz

grizz numismatist

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I don't know Vess, I've had to contact AFIS a few times regarding mint products....:D

10. Ladybug

Ladybug Junior Member

Well i see six coins,three on the bottom and three on top,is that a normal mint set?
    Or a mistake,sorry for asking just trying to learn as i go a long.

Jane

11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yours is actually part of a proof set. I know ppl use the terms proof and mint set interchangably but there is a difference. In 1964 the US mint made mint sets which were of Philadelphia only coins which came in a small manila envelope. Yours is a Denver and I think it may be worth a little bit more than a regular mint set but I don't know for certain.

Dang, actually I could be wrong and maybe it's a mint set that was purchased in Denver as I am just learning about these sets and the differences between Mint and Proof sets. :kewl:

12. jallengomez

I believe the proof sets were the ones minted in Philly, and the mint sets came from Denver and Philly. A proof set would not have colored striping on the cello wrapping. The mint sets were colored with blue and red markings on the cello.

13. jallengomez

Jane-

There are really only 5 coins in the set. The one marked "Denver" with red writing is just a metal identifier that they put in each set. The Philadelphia set would also have one with blue writing on it identifying it as being from the Philadelphia mint.

Jody

14. Ladybug

Ladybug Junior Member

Well i'm confused now what is it a mint set or a proof set,and what's the difference in the two?

I just have to know it's value that's all.
    i'm very frustrated.

Thanks Jane

15. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Actually there are only 5 coins.

16. Ladybug

Ladybug Junior Member

Thank you
    Jane

17. jallengomez

It's a mint-set from Denver. Value is about $15. Don't get frustrated!:)

18. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

The term "Proof" = highly polished planchets (blanks) struck with highly polished dies to create coins with a mirror-like finishes. This is not limited to only mint sets. Proofs are specifically made for collecting only.

The term "Mint State" = standard satin/grainy looking planchets struck with normal dies that produce regular coins that may be shiny but are not like mirrors. For example, if you received a shiny 2009 penny in change today, that is a MS type coin.

That's all the terms refer to. From those definitions alone, you should be able to identify the type of set it is. FWIW, the Redbook lists the P & D set as being under the normal MS, uncirculated. So I would assume this is not a proof set. But you tell us.

I just looked at the pic again. They do not appear to have the mirror-like, cameo fields so this is not a proof set. It's a standard, uncirculated, MS set.

19. green18

Here ya go Jane.....1964 mint set

Attached Files:

20. green18

'64 proof set.....

Attached Files:

21. Ladybug

Ladybug Junior Member

Well $15.00 dollars is better then nothing, Will i get that much for it? I love you guys you are all so sweet.:yawn:you are really helping me to get to kansas.

Thank you so so much Kiss:yawn::yawn:
    Jane

Draft saved Draft deleted