Is it wrong to sell a "poor man's double die' cent on ebay?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Captainkirk, Sep 30, 2009.

?

Is it deceitful to sell a 'poor man's double die'

Poll closed Oct 10, 2009.
  1. Yes, it is deceitful, remove it immediately!

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  2. No, as long as you list it as 'poor man's'

37 vote(s)
    74.0%
  1. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

I have a poor man's double die listed on ebay, a member here says it is cheating and deceiving to sell it. Is this a deceitful listing, or do you recognize this as a variety?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. just coins

just coins New Member

No it is fine to sell it on ebay there are alot of beginner collectors that would want one of these ,and the ones that can't afford the real one, that;s were it got the original name from poor mans doubled die.
    I have seen plenty of these on Ebay there's nothing wrong with it alongs you stay in a reasonable price range.
    JC

4. jcuve

jcuve Lincoln variety fanatic

Here is another example: if you are selling a ’72 master doubled coin, and told buyers that 60% of all ’72 Lincolns display this doubling, why would anyone buy it? Tell them it is a listed doubled die, which it is, and minus out the unsavory details, and eventually someone who doesn’t know better will buy the coin.

Looking at both of these coins, if you are selling either a poor mans’ double die (PMDD), clearly a misnomer to begin with, or selling a ’72 Lincoln with master die doubling as a doubled die, they are both a “no win situation.” You can describe in every way possible what the coins are and are not, that they were old album filler coins, the history of the ’55 doubled die and anything else, but if say too much, no one will buy them, hold back a little and then only an ignorant buyer is going to purchase either coin. Of course if one person doesn’t sell the PMDDs, someone else will as the market for them doesn’t look like it will ever die. And finally looking at it another way, is it the seller’s problem that buyers don’t do a little research before they buy?

My feeling is you could do much worse, like try and sell a PMDD (or a machine doubled coin) for $50 in a fancy slab and make it seem to be a legitimate and rare doubled die or worse yet, knowingly sell Chinese counterfeit coins.

5. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

If you don't have one, and would like to have one, PM me and I'll give you one. All I need is a S.A.S.E. ... but, to tell you the truth, the stamp cost alot more than the value of the coin...

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

As long as it is properly described I don't have any problem with it.

7. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

It is deceptive, in my humble opinion, to call it a doubled die. It is doubling due to die deterioration. If die deterioration is placed in the listing and doubled die is removed , then it is not deceptive to sell it.

The fact that a bunch of people who don't know anything list the coin as a doubled die doesn't make it right for someone who knows what it is to list it the same way.

If the listing is accurate, sell as many as you want. If it calls the coin something it's not then you need to re-think it a little bit. It's no different than selling machine doubled stuff as doubled dies.

Thanks,
    Bill

8. foundinrolls

Hi,

I gotta tell ya:) The results of this poll ain't pretty:) It indicates so far that over 80% (the number may change)of the people here think it's OK to list this thing as something it isn't. To me that's scary.

Bill

9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Before joining CT I would of said go ahead sell it , but after learning of all the people that hear the term double die and immediately think rare , I think yuo should drop the word Double Die from the description .
    rzage

10. just coins

just coins New Member

I disagree with what your saying with just this partcuar coin. This has been established as a poormans doubled die just a name was placed on it , because a very few only can afford the real thing.

Most individuals will know what a poormans doubled die really is ,and of course we know it;s die deterioration doubling , and it really doesn't matter because they are so cheap.

A individual that's has the knowledge to know what a real 55 doubled die is will certainly know what a poormans doubled die is anyway if you understand what i'm trying to explain /

They just want the poormans doubled whatever ,because it is a very popular cheap coin to have ,because of it's popularity that's all.
    JC

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

How did you list the coin? What was in the title and what was in the body of the listing? Without that I can't see how anyone can give a fair opinion.

12. foundinrolls

Hi,

It was poorly named when it was named in the first place. The knowledge about that coin has caught up with the name 30 years ago. Since then anyone calling it a doubled die either doesn't know what they are doing or they are being deceptive. If they know what it is, they should say what it is.

It never was a doubled die, it is the result of a deteriorated die.

Therefore calling it a doubled die by the nature of the thing has to be wrong. The term used to be "Poorman's double" somewhere along the way, double(d) die got added to the mix as a way to fool people into buying something, thinking that it was something else.

If I put up a machine doubled 1972 cent or a 1955 cent struck by deteriorated dies and called them doubled dies, I'd be run out of town on a rail because I know better and people expect me to know better.

Why should someone else who has the proper knowledge be held to a lesser standard? If this guy was a member of the ANA, for example, his sales of this stuff would be enough to expel him or at least have a valid complaint lodged against him.

His own words in his posts indicate that he was being deceptive with the listing so more people could find it.

It's just wrong.

Thanks,
    Bill

13. just coins

just coins New Member

14. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

It would be deceptive to advertise it as a double die, because it isn't one as brought out before. Advertise it for what it is.

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Did the title of the auction say "poor man's double die" or just double die?

16. just coins

just coins New Member

The word POORMAN"S indicates what it is.. Then we should call the real doubled Die the Richmans 1955 doubled die, and that would solve the whole problem .Kiss

The poormans doubled die was established in the late fifties after the Richmans doubled die came in exsistance
    JC

17. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

This pole is not accurate He changed what he said -this is what you said not me,

I just listed a 55 pmdd, but I called it a 'double die', because as a seller I want the most buyers to find my auction. If i listed it correctly, less people would find it. Captainkerk's quote in "isn't this mechanical thread"!!!

This pole is not accurate He changed what he said -this is what you said in the thread not me,

This is what you said (above) not me?
    You have changed the wording to favor you.
    This is why there was no need to have a link to eBay or whereever the rediculous listing was - I was challeging his statement within CoinTalk, not his auction - that's where I told you guys to find out what he said in the post.

18. bhp3rd

Condor, read what he really said in "is't this mechanical" or my post to this topic

Condor, read what he really said in "is't this mechanical" or my post to this topic

19. bhp3rd

Please read my post to see what he really said.

Please read my post to see what he really said.

20. bhp3rd

jcuve please read my post to see what he really said.

jcuve please read my post to see what he really said.

21. bhp3rd

See my post for the truth.

See my post for the truth.

Draft saved Draft deleted