Is it a S/D 1953 Jeff nickel error ?close up..

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Itallmakescents, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Itallmakescents

Itallmakescents Junior Member

Again...posting a pic for some insight to this 1953 Jefferson nickel with what appears to be a S over D ?? What do you think ?? Just might have to get a closer look at the date to see if somethings between the 9 and 5...good day

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

good pictures, but I don't think that is the over mint mark.

4. jcuve

jcuve Lincoln variety fanatic

I'm thinking either it is a die gouge or the mintmark was damaged at some point. I don't search through enough Jeffersons to know about the MMs on '53Ss. I may be worng so I'll let some Jefferson people chime in on the specifics of this coin...

Now, there doesn't appear to be a listing anywhere for a '53S OMM, suggesting you have one is difficult unless the coin is in great condition and one does a study with overlays to try and prove the underlying shape is another MM. This may be the product of over looking at finds. I would suggest trying to look at far more Jeffersons, like thousands, give yourself no more than 15 seconds per coin, front and back, and move on. Anything with a question should be put to the side and re-examined later with a skeptical eye. Assume it isn't something new and take it slow - rule out obvious issues such as MD, DDD, PMD, gouges and so on before thinking it is something as specific as a OMM.

5. coop

coop Senior Member

All I see is an over polishing of the die. The stronger lines flow over the mint mark area.

6. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I do not see a S/D. but keep hunting!

7. Itallmakescents

Itallmakescents Junior Member

Takeing a closer look , it is very hard to determine with damage on mint mark...I'm always open for opinions and to get the knowledge of others who have examined these type of errors. Gladely appreciete the insight...

8. coinprofessor

coinprofessor New Member

No that's not a OMM it appears to be a damaged mint mark from circulation more like post mint damage indeed

Billy the coinprofessor

9. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Looks like die deterioration to me.

10. RATCEZ

RATCEZ New Member

Looks like die deterioation to me too
    TIM

Draft saved Draft deleted