Is Hoarding Pre-1982 Copper Cents Pointless!

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by dctjr80, Mar 21, 2010.

?

Should You Hoard, Savings Account, or Just Spend Normally Pre-1982 Copper Cents?

1. Yes, Hoard them and guard them with your life!!!

134 vote(s)
    60.9%
  2. Don't Be Silly, earn interest and put them into a Savings Account!!!

29 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. It's a Cent, Just Spend IT Already!!!

57 vote(s)
    25.9%
  1. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

For about the last year I have kept a little bag in my home/office and while out or at work when ever I find/receive change I always through the pre-1982 copper cents in a separate pocket and throw them in the bag at home, but will it all be worth it or is it pointless on such a small scale? would that bag earn more over time in the bank, than the rise of copper price by the time we are allowed to melt it? just curious. I think I will poll this!:hail:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

For once, size doesn't matter!!!

It's weight. OMG. I've only got like $50 face and I'm just glad I don't live on a boat becase we would be permanently leaning in that direction!

4. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

Different Can

Since I eyeball all my change I maintain a "special" can for pre '82's.

I even got a 1953 Wheat in change yesterday. So it went into the eXtra special can.

I'm not saying it makes sense. But it does help me keep cents.

5. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

pointless in my opinion , in the time it took you to gather enough to scrap them inflation already ate away at your "investment" now if you are simply hording for the sake of hording then let the sadness be resumed, but if it's to sell it for scrap then that's pointless...

6. taurus876

taurus876 Senior Member

I agree.

7. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

My 2 cents

I just keep Au or better copper cent.:kewl:

8. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Pointless and one of the biggest waists of time imaginable.

9. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Doesnt seem to be much of a point, But i guess if you have an extra
    Bedroom or two...........LOL

10. chip

chip Novice collector

Yes, spend them put them back into the bank and take the electronic money, there will be more for me.

Copper is usually considered a base metal, but it is abundant enough that it could be used as a monetary standard. One of the problems with fiat currency is that it is subject to the whims of the people in democratic countries, pols know that a strong dollar means the goods and services that their countries produce are more expensive, idle hands are the devils playthings, and when people are not working they are into mischief.

So you have pols vieing with each other to inflate their currency internationally, sorry but the idea of an economy centered around consumption not production is unsustainable, it only lasts until the credit runs out and the economy is drained of real assets.

Copper could solve that problem, tho it would be unusual to see copper dollars, I think that before that happens the powers that be will try to go to a cashless electronic money that will be a nightmare of manipulation and legalized theft that will make such adventures as the savings and loan thefts and the derivatives swindle seem like peanuts.

11. chip

chip Novice collector

My answer was save them, but no need to guard them with your life.

12. fatima

fatima Junior Member

I've seen rolls of pre-82 pennies running $1.25 - $1.50 at the shows which is about 2.5x to 3x face. They seem to be decent sellers. If you had an efficient way to sort them then money can be made at it by this method. Pennies are often overlooked when people are cherry picking so there is also a chance to hit a more valuable coin.

I don't think it would be a good way to acquire copper "bullion" however.

13. chip

chip Novice collector

one of the machines I have been involved with making was an inspection machine for fasteners, a feeder bowl sorted them into a single line, and they were quickly passed thru a camera hooked to a computor that when any flaws or defects were spotted a puff of compressed air blew them out of the line into a reject bin. It would be simplicity to just do the same thing with a scale instead of a camera. I did wonder why someone would build a quarter million dollar machine in order to eliminate a minimum wage job, I suppose it was because the idea was that a machine would make less mistakes, and everyone in manufacturing is searching for perfection.

I find that sorting copper coins is an inexpensive way to indulge the hobby, especially since my daughter is getting married and I do not have the extra cash right now to make some more expensive acquisitions, I would rather sustain the hobby in this way other than just quitting it altogether.

14. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

It's about as pointless as the folks who started keeping silver coins from circulation from 1965-on. Boy were they dumb! LOL :rolling:

slackaction1 likes this.
  15. PesoKing

PesoKing El Centenario

I also think its pointless and i'm with jello. on this one, I keep only the shiny AU cents!

16. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

Who are you going to sell them to? If you took 500 pounds of copper pennies to the place where you take your beer cans, are they going to buy them from you? Is anybody going to believe you when you tell them they're all pre 1982?

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Pointless to some of you folks, but I've got two young'uns payin' a visit for a spell this summer. I figure two half gallon jugs of pre-82's and a couple o' whitman folders should keep 'em busy on rainy days.....:)

18. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

This is one of the most flagrantly bias polls I ever seen. I don't think you will get an honest poll with this catch-22 poll. just sayin!

19. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

Sounds like great fun.

Sounds like great fun. And don't forget to spike the jugs with a few wheats and maybe an IHC or two.

20. fatima

fatima Junior Member

There are already several penny sorters on the market. Most go by weight since the zinc penny weighs differently from the copper one. This is also the way you determine if 1982 is copper or zinc.

Here is an example.

http://www.ryedalecoin.com/

21. ozarktravler

ozarktravler Senior Member

I would say yes... just for the fun it. Always a chance you might find an error coin among them.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted